Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy cow. Feeling very lucky today.

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Glad all is safe! I just got in from cooking 8 pizzas guess I'm going back out to check .... And the eggs getting moved a bit further from the house...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    This is normal as your egg ignited the gases producted by the lump as it reaches temperature ..
  • jfdaly007
    jfdaly007 Posts: 12
    Man, that's heavy. Good to hear it was just a table.
  • henapple said:
    let's look at the facts as we know them Cen-Tex, you have been getting a lot of attention due to the awesome brisket you shared in salado. who usually receives most of the brisket attention? who l lays claim to his own " method"... where was Travis the night of the fire?

This is a great point Tony. I smell conspiracy!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Dang-you dodged a bullet!  I'm so glad it stopped where it did-geez, talk about a disaster ready to go!  Clearly some good fortune and be very thankful for that.  Such an experience would cause me to abandon the wood table idea (I use a nest) if I owned one or take some additional precautions as mentioned above.  Definitely a wake-up for all.  Hopefully this will help prevent a similar happening down the road.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:

Dang-you dodged a bullet!  I'm so glad it stopped where it did-geez, talk about a disaster ready to go!  Clearly some good fortune and be very thankful for that.  Such an experience would cause me to abandon the wood table idea (I use a nest) if I owned one or take some additional precautions as mentioned above.  Definitely a wake-up for all.  Hopefully this will help prevent a similar happening down the road.

agreed cap. strange happenings indeed. I've done thousands of cooks with that table but now that i have to make a change, I'm going nest with a side table or stainless table.
  • I like my nest, but the stainless table that Kamado Joe sells for theirs is very nice for the money...stainless-wise.

Egging on wood tables and decks concerns me. Truly glad to read you dodged a bullet.
    Gittin' there...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Wow! Made me go out and check that I was really cooling off after the Naked Ham. You are amazingly lucky it didn't spread further. Glad all worked out with no further damage.
  • Thank you for sharing!! As a firefighter, this is a fantastic opportunity for everyone to take a minute to think about fire safety in the home. I am very happy that this event didn't turn out to be a tragedy. Please post pics of your new set up when you get it figured out.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    CT, phew that's scary indeed, glad the damage was contained and thanks for reminding all of us. Guess I should abandon my plan to build wood tables and leave my eggs alone in the stands and SS cart. 

I had a close call in my 1st year of egg, could have burnt down god knows how many houses' connected wood fence in the entire subdivision.  Gonna take pictures of the evidence and post it as a public service.
    canuckland
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

CT, you and your family are truely blessed. This is a very close call.

I have concrete pavers under both my eggs and a bbq mat on the pavers, they are on my wooden deck. The more I think on this I think that the nests are the safest options with air all around them. Wood around the egg will eventually turn into lump and combust.

Boy!  You gus are lucky, and the kids were sleeping.

X_X

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

You got very lucky. Thank God everything and everyone are alright.

BTW, is there charring under the base of the egg also? From the pictures it look like something was happening from underneath your egg before this mishap. I think I am going to pull my egg and have a look after seeing your pictures.

• RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Wow....glad y'all are safe! A lot of good information!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    make sure to tip the base over and inspect for cracks, can can be hard to see when the egg is cold and sometimes they open up when its hot, thats what happenened to mine. after my table burned at night while i was sleeping, the egg was off the deck and away from the house. had another close insident with a pot holer, used it out by the grill then put it in a drawer in the house. an hour later was back inside and the counter was hot. my big red fire extinguisher is on the wall in the kitchen right where everyone sees it
    :)) i just have to ask, with all the warnings about putting a stone under those feet, why no stone, where you just feeling lucky
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • make sure to tip the base over and inspect for cracks, can can be hard to see when the egg is cold and sometimes they open up when its hot, thats what happenened to mine. after my table burned at night while i was sleeping, the egg was off the deck and away from the house. had another close insident with a pot holer, used it out by the grill then put it in a drawer in the house. an hour later was back inside and the counter was hot. my big red fire extinguisher is on the wall in the kitchen right where everyone sees it
    :)) i just have to ask, with all the warnings about putting a stone under those feet, why no stone, where you just feeling lucky

I have never had any issues with charring underneath. The ceramic feet have always worked fine for me. I checked it several times and never had an issue at all. This had nothing to do with the bottom of the table either. I think I'm done with wood tables though
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Sure am glad it wasn't any worse !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    make sure to tip the base over and inspect for cracks, can can be hard to see when the egg is cold and sometimes they open up when its hot, thats what happenened to mine. after my table burned at night while i was sleeping, the egg was off the deck and away from the house. had another close insident with a pot holer, used it out by the grill then put it in a drawer in the house. an hour later was back inside and the counter was hot. my big red fire extinguisher is on the wall in the kitchen right where everyone sees it

I have never had any issues with charring underneath. The ceramic feet have always worked fine for me. I checked it several times and never had an issue at all. This had nothing to do with the bottom of the table either. I think I'm done with wood tables though
    thats the thing with fire, you never have a problem til one day. and i agree, get it out of the wood table if its going to be near the house
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Eggers with nests can have the same problem when setting or hanging anything combustable on or from their nest table that might come in contact with the side of the egg.  I have a habit of using a damp towel during my cooks to wipe off any drippings.  And i usually, finish my cook and leave the towel  on the nest pedistal.  No more!!!!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Things can always be worse. Glad it didn't catch the deck man!

photo IMG_0438.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Wow - Scary stuff.  Glad it just burned the table. 

I have nightmares EVERYTIME I use the Egg since moving it up onto my wooden deck.  I do not have problems with the cooking on the Egg because I am standing by it, but when its shutting down or doing an overnight low and slow - Can not sleep until I know the fire is out.  After seeing this I think I am going to move the Egg downstairs onto the lawn again away from the house/wooden deck.  Means allot less use of the Egg but with two small kids in the house it's not worth the risk.

Garnerville, NY
  • Things can always be worse. Glad it didn't catch the deck man!

photo IMG_0438.jpg

That's exactly what I was afraid of. rethinking a lot of things today............
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    this wouldn't have happened if you used mangrates... they would have extinguished the fire and alerted you wirelessly.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven

photo ContentsfromServiceMaster170-3.jpg

I hope everybody does give it some extra thought today!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Man, that's a shocker and an eye opener. Glad nothing serious happened. I was contemplating building a table. Maybe I'll just stick with the nest. I realize that this is like one instance in however many tables are out there, guess I'm justifying my laziness in getting off my butt and building one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

•  

photo ContentsfromServiceMaster170-3.jpg

I hope everybody does give it some extra thought today!

we have a very similar setup. That boarded up door on yours would be my 17 year old's bedroom. He was 10 feet away the whole time but his blinds were down. he was awake and playing video games so I guess it wasn't too big of a flare up or he would have seen it through the blinds. The table was so weakened though that it could have easily tumped the egg over with hot lump inside and we would have been talking about a whole other deal.

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited April 2013

CT - Man I'm glad you and your family are OK. I was in the process of trying to figure out what table I was going to build but this has changed my mind. I thing I will go another direction.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Little Steven
    edited April 2013
    Mine started by using the side burner of my gasser. I had (intelligently) thought the little extension for the burner was a good place to store open lump to keep it dry. The cooking chamber of the gasser was full of egg stuff and wasn't usable. It was hours later when the lump caught fire and burned through the bag. My wife smelled it and saw when the lump was on the deck. She got the kids out of the house and went back with a fire extinguisher to deal with it. The flames were halfway up the wall when she got back out. Happened so quick!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RAC said:

CT - Man I'm glad you and your family are OK. I was in the process of trying to figure out what table I was going to build but this has changed my mind. I thing I will go another direction.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks Ricky. still feels really weird knowing that it happened right under our noses and we dodn't even know about it for 24 hours. Really makes you feel vulnerable
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Cen-Tex, sorry for your misfortune, as you stated you were  very very lucky. You opened my eyes to what to look for, what to do, what not to do, and to wet down the area if leaving unattended. Thank God you got out with no more damage and zero injuries. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Glad everyone is o.k. and the damage was limited, always amazed how lucky one can get.

Gerhard