Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorry Steven But Your Skewers Suck (Mine Are Better...with Pics)

r270ba
r270ba Posts: 763
edited March 2013 in EggHead Forum
So after reading about folks doing Tandoori style cooking on the egg I decided I wanted to try.  I purchased these Steven Raichlen flat skewers:

I was sorely disappointed when I received them today so I ran out to our shop and started looking for some 1" flat SS bar to make my own.  Here are the results.  Keep in mind this is the first and only one I have made...I plan to make 4 more and expect each to get better as I hone my skills :)).  Actually the guy in the picture is our shop foreman...he did a little teaching for me.  By the way we are NOT metal fab shop.

One more note...this is the first SR product I have not been 100% satisfied with.  I really like his stuff.

This is the skewer by itself...I haven't smoothed or polished it yet.

This is beside the one I purchased from Amazon.

This is side by side after I have smoothed and polished my skewer.  You can see that the Steven Raichlen is super short...I don't know how you could get very much of anything on it.

You can't really tell in this picture because of the light but mine polished up just as nice as his.
Anderson, SC
XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Where can I order a set??? :)

r270ba Best of Barbecue Signature Stainless Steel Grilling Kabob Skewers, Set of 2 (34 x .98-Inch Wide)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    ^:)^ You win, hands down.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    @smokeypit...funny product title!  I will make you a set if you are serious.  

Thanks @griffin!  I am excited to use it.
    Anderson, SC

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    LOL.  I just bought a set of flexible skeweres, but have not tried them yet.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Where do common folks get that bar? Looks like the SR set won't reach side to side on a large to cook as he advocates, without a grate. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2013
    Great job. Those look awesome. I am still working on my eggsessories also.
    LOL.  I just bought a set of flexible skeweres, but have not tried them yet.
    I got them and love using them. Easy to place where you want them to go. However gloves are needed when I do this.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• r270ba
    @jlsm not sure where we buy it from.  A steel distributor I am sure.  I bet you can find something similar at Lowes/Home Depot.  And no they definitely will not reach side to side.

Haven't heard of the flexible skewers...what are they?
    Anderson, SC

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited March 2013
    These are flexible skewers. They work good when you need room. Got them from bge also called fire wire.other places have them as well
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2013
    <P>I recently purchased some turkish kabab rods, 1/2" wide 24" long of which 6" was a wood handle.</P>
    <P>They fit great on my large BGE.</P>
    <P>Made some turkish adana with them.  Am on the lookout for some all metal 24" ones from the some source, but this time will not get the wood handle as I was told and agree after time they burn off.</P>
    <P>Just called my local welding supply store and I can buy ss 12'  by 1/8th"for $18.  They will cut them for a small fee.</P>
    <P>Saw the SR ones in a store recently and thought they were pricy for the product.</P>
    <P>Here is a great recipe to break in your skewers IMHO.</P>
    <P><A href="http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1305801&catid=1">http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1305801&catid=1</A></P>
  • r270ba
    Awesome @Richard_Fl I will put that on my list.  I need to get me a meat grinder.  I think I am going to buy the plastic Kitchen Aide one for $35.  Is that what you use?  Is it any good?

These ended up being 24" after the bend so the actual skewer part is 24" + the handle (about 5").  I thought about putting another handle on it but I think metal works...it won't burn off like you said.
    Anderson, SC

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Sweet!! I love homebrewed bbq projects.

I posted this in a previous thread, and I think you have seen it:

The shinier one is the 1" wide skewer I bought at a middle eastern store here in Houston. I like the fact that it is flat without a handle and fits well across the LBGE. The lid closes and makes a decent seal even with the skewers laying across.

Yours is a serious bbq weapon!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • r270ba
    @caliking your picture was my inspiration.  I tried to find the post so that I could link to it here but I couldn't find it.  Care to share the link?

No handle is something I am considering (not even the bend).  I am going to see how this works when I get home and modify it from there.
    Anderson, SC

• caliking
    @r270ba: it was actually a thread mainly about pizzas= http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1296950/#Comment_1296950

Might I suggest that you nix the handle? I think it makes it unnecessarily bulky and will make hem difficult to store. I homebrewed skewer storage cases as well, which I can post once I get home after work.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2013
    <P>I use the KA plastic meat grinder, but only for small jobs 10 lbs or so.  Some say the motor, and I have the heavy duty one, gets too hot for large projects and they buy a regular meat grinder.  In my research for skewers over the years, I have bought some "V" shaped ones for Brazalian cooking and tandoori..</P>
    <P> </P>
    <P>While researching the turkish ones I found those 1/2"<BR> and 3/4" with/without wood handle. IMHO a 24" flat no wood handle would be great for the large BGE.  </P>
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow what a project! and for someone that is not a metal fab shop that is one big ole lathe in the backround. I was talking about skewers the other day. a auctioneer friend of mine from Knoxville was asking me about them and I cant tell you the last time I used skewers. except for when I was roasting the peeps for my daughter last weekend. I have seen the firewires and I did not think too much of them. your kabaob will feed a lot of people!! haha =))

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I think I can safely say the SR now has a serious case of skewer envy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think I can safely say the SR now has a serious case of skewer envy. 
    I agree. @r270ba 's skewers look much longer and more firm.

I bet Steve is going to go out and buy a large pick-up truck with those "dangly things" on the hitch or a sports care with dice on the mirror. Yo homes, to LA!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    r270ba said:
    @smokeypit...funny product title!  I will make you a set if you are serious.  

That is might neighborly of you to offer- but I don't want to put you out.  If you made some for me you might have to make some for everyone!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Yep, will be making them for a lot of people.  They do look real nice. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I thought you were talking to me. Do not make me come down there!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• r270ba
    test
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    Sorry but they just made me start getting my comments approved.  
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    damn it...I just typed everything up again and they are making it be approved...
    Anderson, SC

• caliking
    @r270ba: trying logging out and logging back in, or don't quote posts in your response. Has been happening to some folks recently.

• r270ba
    Oh ok...it is the quoting.  I logged out and logged back in. 

What I was trying to say was this (without quotes)

@caliking thanks sharing the posts.  I am definitely considering removing the handle.  Not from storage but from shutting the egg perspective.

@little_steven come on down (to grill that is).

Everyone else thanks for the comments.  I can't wait to use them and try some Tandoori chicken that I have seen floating around.
    Anderson, SC

• it's the quotes. It happened to me earlier in the week.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    had a request couple years ago for tandoori skewers thru the dome hole......these things ran all the way to the lump grate....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • r270ba
    @tjv interesting.  I may try that...that works a little more true to tandoori style cook correct?
    Anderson, SC

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    yes, more true to tandoori but it gets crowded growing thru that hole fast.....little to tight for my liking.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • r270ba
    Thanks for the insight.  I see what you mean.  How do you bend your metal?
    Anderson, SC