Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Tenderlion, w/Bacon Weave: Suggestions Needed

Options
This upcoming weekend I have a whole tenderloin (about a 3 pounder) cook planned. The tenderloin was a gift, it came to me trimmed and tied up with butcher twine.

My problem comes from wanting to cook this loin in a bacon weave. Should I leave the twine in place? Remove twine and re-tie on top of the weave? Remove twine and hope the weave holds the meat together?

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Kind regards,
Dave
Lincoln, NE
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    db,
    I presume the tenderloin is pork due to the weight. I would cut the twine and weave with bacon. It should provide the same support as the twine and you can just use toothpicks on the ends of the bacon to secure it.

If it is beef, the same principle can apply. In case you have the end of the tenderloin with the tip(it would be folded over for uniform roasting shape) make sure you keep this folded, securing with toothpicks if necessary. You could retie, but it might pull the bacon off the finished product.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    I am sorry for not specifying the type of meat.  It is indeed beef, we get some big cattle in this area. :)

As you described, it has the tip folded over and tied in place.  I will go with your toothpick solution.

Thank you!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    +1 for future cooks.

But watch out for CT. He is a hardcore meat glue dealer. You best be ready with payment or he'll bust your kneecaps. He'll probably look for around $200,000 minus $5,800 or so.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    As one of my favorite people on here likes to say:"I'm merely a friction-less conduit"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Good 'ol meat glue-the cure for about everything in the BGE world-kinda like WD-40 :)   And welcome back C-T.  BTW-the number of brisket fails were much higher during your hiatus...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good 'ol meat glue-the cure for about everything in the BGE world-kinda like WD-40 :)   And welcome back C-T.  BTW-the number of brisket fails were much higher during your hiatus...
    Thanks Cap! I threw a pretty good one down at the Salado after party. Seemed to go over pretty well.

Now NOLA is in possession of all my meat glue so once he gets out of rehab, I'm sure he'll be chiming in on it too. 

• smokinsooner
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks Cap! I threw a pretty good one down at the Salado after party. Seemed to go over pretty well.

Now NOLA is in possession of all my meat glue so once he gets out of rehab, I'm sure he'll be chiming in on it too. 

HA HA! Once again... you tell on yourself!
    You gave me your half right after explaining what it was to me... and right before you left! (Thanks for that BTW!)
    Nola has the other half... and a lot of suspicious powder on lockblade-ninja-knife.
    BOOMER!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

lousubcap said:

A pretty good one?..i had to call my wife and have her talk me through one after that brisket....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I tried to reply but now I'm getting blocked.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sooner- That is too funny. I'm having all my posts censored for some reason but I've logged out and back in and it seems to be working as long as i don't reply to another post. apparently all this meat glue talk is getting people nervous. I'll just say it was time for centex to go home when the meat glue came out. had a great time with you guys though.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Is it just me? Or is this the most paradoxical thread title we've seen in a long time?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX