Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't see what all the fuss is about.

(This is all just my personal opinion.  If you are easily offended, go butt a stump!) 

I've seen a lot about cooking the perfect steaks that run the gambit from the unnecessary to the truly asinine.  "Keep it simple stupid."  Whenever cooking on the egg I've found this simple maxim to help guide me and it's worked out pretty well so far.  The less I try to screw things up the better it turns out.

For example, I cooked these ribeyes the same way I cook all my steaks.  Egg at 550-600º, favorite seasoning, toss on some wood chips, cook for 3 minutes per side, probe, if it's not to your desired internal temp, toss it back on for 30 second intervals until it is and viola, tender, juicy, delicious steak!

Anybody else out there think simple is better?

Comments

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Agreed 100% I always try and k.i.s.s. pork ribs for example, put on and smoke for 6hrs. No need to continuously open the egg and tend to them or foil or tent. Just rub and cook.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It is not only the journey but the destination my good man.  That is truly a plate to be admired, yet others may find their way to steak nirvana by a different route. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Oh My- Truly asinine. Please share..............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Don't understand your point

- Rube Goldberg.
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    While I may agree with your technique, I would not go out of my way to insult others for theirs.
    But, but, I had the disclaimer up front!  I'm just funnin' anyway.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    I might be wrong, but the amount of smoke absorbed by a steak cooked at 550-600 for 3 minutes a side is just about 0. The Maillard reaction will not happen until the surface moisture is "dried". Time is needed for the meat to take on the smoke and the higher the temp the less the smoke. Actually some folks like that as they prefer unsmoked steaks. Further, at high temps just about any spice/herb will be burned off before it has any time to work its magic, other than minerals like salt. There is nothing wrong with heating up a grid to 600 and then dropping a good steak onto it and enjoying it, if that's what you like, hell I did it for years and if in a hurry, I still do it - on my gasser or infrared. With the egg I prefer a reverse sear, meaning I cook low, with smoke, remove, rest, and sear. It takes longer, but the meat takes smoke, the rubs add flavour (other than salt) and meat is cooked the way I like it. No the best way or only way for anyone but me. To each his own, and as lousubcap says "Sharing the successes and failures of your experiments helps others". 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Skiddymarker...you sound like @nolaegghead.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Way to go boss =D>

How bout one of these too \m/

And a big ole \:D/

Many a ways to share your recipe without offending the masses.

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    henapple said:
    Yeah - sometimes the truth of the science kinda rubs off. 

and I suppose there are worse guys to sound like, can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure there are some....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple said:
    Yeah - sometimes the truth of the science kinda rubs off. 

and I suppose there are worse guys to sound like, can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure there are some....

Let me know when you find one (as long as it's not me) :))
  • GGGNAT
    GGGNAT Posts: 14
    Not sure about the way the OP was stated but I agree with the point. I have tried all the different methods and while they produce a good steak they seem like a waist of time. I find 425 on the cast iron grate the way to go. Vary your time per side based on thickness and cut.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Simple for me I rarely marinade, never inject or rub and fridge overnight. I like getting to the point, less effort the better.
    Seattle, WA
  • Badong
    Brisket is another example.  On the first few I tried all sorts of stuff: marinade, inject, crutch, etc.  Now I just rub, toss it on the smoker and shut the lid.  The last three turned out way better than anything else I've tried.
  • Sarcasm is sooo easy to convey.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    And I just blew all that money on a sous vide machine for nuthin'! :-??

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited January 2013
    And I just blew all that money on a sous vide machine for nuthin'! :-??

@Little Steven
    Sous Vide is simple no? :))

@badong

^:)^

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• And I just blew all that money on a sous vide machine for nuthin'! :-??

@Little Steven
    Sous Vide is simple no? :))

@badong

^:)^

3 simple steps.............. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145949/perfect-sous-vide-steaks-in-3-steps-and-no-words-its-that-easy#latest
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2013
    "Badong said:
    I am repeatedly reminded of how difficult it is to communicate sarcasm in text. One day I may learn this lesson with some permanence. 

I did not intend to offend anyone.  I have always appreciated the friendly atmosphere and the supportive nature of this board compared with a lot of others that I frequent.  I hope I have not done anything to diminish that.

Mia culpa."

Maybe this helps with your conundrum.  Until others on the forum recognize you, your writing style and literary wit, purdy much what you say will be take at face value.  Best thing I've found is keep it positive in nature, and, if you throw out some humor, make sure it easily seen,  lol and the like.......

On this post, maybe better.......
      Title:  I'm perplexed........

I've seen a lot about cooking the perfect steaks.  "Keep it simple stupid." is my moto.  It's a simple maxim that helps guide me and it's worked out pretty well so far.  The less I try to screw things up, the better it turns out.

For example, I cooked these ribeyes the same way I cook all my steaks.  Egg at 550-600º, favorite seasoning, toss on some wood chips, cook for 3 minutes per side, probe, if it's not at my desired internal temp, toss it back on for 30 second intervals until it is and viola, tender, juicy, delicious steak!

Anybody else out there think simple is better?

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Badong
    @Skiddymaker OK, I'll take your "reverse-sear" challenge and I will be prepared to eat crow, or in this case smokey, delicious steak.

Do you have more details in terms of temps, times, etc?
  • Skiddymarker
    edited January 2013
    @Badong - No challenge - just a different way to "skin the cat", and nobody has to eat "crow" yardbirds. Will try and find my camera as I am doing a NY strip tonight.

Set-up is standard indirect, dome anywhere between 225-300. I do put my CI grid on the fire ring, setter on the CI grid. This means the CI grid will be quite hot so when you pull the setter later for the sear the grid is good to go. The cooler the dome temp the more smoke and rub flavor you can add to the meat, I find the smoke from RO is enough. 

Use your favorite rub, or just salt and pepper, throw the steaks on. Depending on thickness, I check them after 15 minutes and then every 5 after that if the internal is getting close to 115-125. (115 more rare, 125 more medium) With a 1-1/2" strip, this might be 30 minutes overall. (SWMBO likes hers well done so it goes on 10-15 minutes before mine and I never check the temp on hers because - well, there is no sense) 
    At 115-125, I pull the steaks to a plate, foil cover and let them sit for about 5 minutes while I remove the setter and open the vents to get after burn. Then sear until desired internal and surface color - usually about 60 seconds or so a side. Pull and let sit for only a couple of minutes - you have already rested for maybe 5 minutes.

What you should notice is more smoke flavor - not for everyone and the steak will have more of the rub flavor - not just the salt in it. You also should see a more consistent edge to edge color (doneness). 
  • IrishDevl
    What does butt a stump mean? I'll do it if cool.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Devil, I kinda thought you wuz that way :x

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    @Little_Steven - for your info picked up a 15 knife Jaccard. Very pleased. I have had the 45 knife for a couple of years, but found it was too much for some meats, NY strips, Sirloins, Pork racks/loins. This one is great, just enough to change the texture without over working the meat. 
    SWMBO - likes her chicken breast done with the 15. 

(Don't know if you recall, was part of another post sometime ago)
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    IrishDevl said:
    What does butt a stump mean? I'll do it if cool.

Devil, I kinda thought you wuz that way :x

=)) =))
  • IrishDevl
    Son of a... I take it back.
  • IrishDevl said:
    Son of a... I take it back.

not a chance in hell. Marked in eternity on the interwebs. Thank you.