Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

healthy egging

Getting ready to start losing weight for the summer. Last year I lost 30lbs from Feb to May. I'm looking forward to making the egg work for weight loss. Should be interesting.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• henapple said:
    Getting ready to start losing weight for the summer. Last year I lost 30lbs from Feb to May. I'm looking forward to making the egg work for weight loss. Should be interesting.
    Me too!  We're doing the Atkins starting next week.  More Egg, more fun, less me!  What can go wrong??  Fire it up!
    Flint, Michigan
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I am in that boat too!  Good luck.  If i can get 25, I will be happy, 30 would be better.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Yeah.....I'm thinking about my health too.  I think I'm going to try to find some rooster fries.  They ought to be killer on the EGG.
  • cajunduck
    cajunduck Posts: 203
    I do the Paleo thing. Meats and veggies with no wheat gluten, but I cheat sometimes doing pizza on the egg.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Cut out Gluten again Got get rid of 50lbs at least to start with...No booze for January either. Anyone done any gluten free bread on the egg?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Same here, we're going to Antigua in June for my brothers wedding so I'd like to lose the middle age roll....
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ahem.  The booze is not on the table in this egger's house. ;)
    The biggest part of tonight's cook was veggies, to be served with some left overs.

Wasn't sure I could still cook veggies after the last two weeks of debauchery.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Beer is not on the table either Nola. I travel so when I'm on the road I do a living diet. One cheat meal per week.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I will make up for not drinking in January with our Mardi Gras trip in February. Pretty sure I will have to not drink or eat for March after that trip.
    Lynnwood WA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I can't give up the drink but I will be cutting back on pulled pork.
    Boom
  • double said:
    Cut out Gluten again Got get rid of 50lbs at least to start with...No booze for January either. Anyone done any gluten free bread on the egg?
    I'm with you on the bread...........But I ain't so sure about the booze.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, and the Pope is not Catholic and bears don't, well you know what bears don't do. 
    No booze on the table, it's in the shop where you just built a new cabinet for it.........
    Easiest path to low carb is to cut out alcohol. Egging and alcohol seem to be related, good luck to all those making a change......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I'm starting P90X on Monday. This will be my 3rd round. The last time I lost 26 lbs. I highly recommend checking it out.

Even if you aren't in to the exercise aspect of it, the P90X nutrition guide has some great recipes. My favorites are Island Pork Tenderloin and Lemon Garlic Chicken. They also have a great turkey burger recipe. Doing P90X is great because I can still eat 2400 calories/day and lose weight. I do, however, burn close to 1000 calories per workout.

If any of you are more interested in P90X or if you've been suckered in to the infomercials like I was before buying it, feel free to ask. It is a fantastic program.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, and the Pope is not Catholic and bears don't, well you know what bears don't do. 
    No booze on the table, it's in the shop where you just built a new cabinet for it.........
    Easiest path to low carb is to cut out alcohol. Egging and alcohol seem to be related, good luck to all those making a change......
    Sadly, I know....I know....
    We are trying to start on the path to health.  I guess I can cut WAY back on the beer but I just got allot of goodies recently, Macallan 18, Johnnie Walker Blue (2), Van Winkle 12, some other new Vodkas.  How the heck an I going to cut out that stuff now that I have it?

ON a positive note - I need to find good straight up recipes that are healthy.  No guessing at calories of ingredients.  No sugary marinade or sauces.

Garnerville, NY
  • At Christmas, I cut out the rum and cokes, and now only drink two glasses of red wine with supper.  I'm down 7 pounds.  Must have been a lot of rum and cokes.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2013
    And the P90X looks interesting but I think I am years away from trying that as I need to build up some basic cardio/strength first.  Been a long time since I have done any real exercise if you call it that.

Garnerville, NY
  • Check out Alton Brown's thoughts on weight loss (he lost 50 pounds) http://youtu.be/QBJpmz1oduE
  • Here's a simple mantra that has helped me lose 38 pounds; "Eat less, move more", a quote from Marion Nestle. It's easier to accomplish this goal and incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. Diet fads come and go. Moderation is the key to everything.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013
    I'm starting P90X on Monday. This will be my 3rd round. The last time I lost 26 lbs. I highly recommend checking it out.

Even if you aren't in to the exercise aspect of it, the P90X nutrition guide has some great recipes. My favorites are Island Pork Tenderloin and Lemon Garlic Chicken. They also have a great turkey burger recipe. Doing P90X is great because I can still eat 2400 calories/day and lose weight. I do, however, burn close to 1000 calories per workout.

If any of you are more interested in P90X or if you've been suckered in to the infomercials like I was before buying it, feel free to ask. It is a fantastic program.

Glad you mentioned this, was going to start a thread.  My brother has it and swears by it.  Watched a couple of the DVDs, the 15 minute ab video was killer.  I got sore just watching it.
    :))

My only concern is working 12 hour back-to-back shifts and trying to stay on track.  Only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger.  I already have some Powerblocks, looking at the basic P90X setup for around $150.  Interested to see some yoga mixed in.  Need to keep my back and core muscles in shape due to the physicalities of lifting obese people regularly.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Cool video. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    FireTower said:
    Here's a simple mantra that has helped me lose 38 pounds; "Eat less, move more", a quote from Marion Nestle. It's easier to accomplish this goal and incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. Diet fads come and go. Moderation is the key to everything.
    Moderation and serving size. As FireTower says, eat less. Cut down on the size of your cooks. We all love a 16 oz cowboy cut rib eye, but maybe an 8 oz fillet will do. unless you are extremely active and need the energy, most of us eat way more than we need. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Maybe we should do an egghead weight loss competition!! Maybe we can get someone to sponsor it for a prize?
  • nolaegghead
    FireTower said:
    Here's a simple mantra that has helped me lose 38 pounds; "Eat less, move more", a quote from Marion Nestle. It's easier to accomplish this goal and incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. Diet fads come and go. Moderation is the key to everything.
    Moderation and serving size. As FireTower says, eat less. Cut down on the size of your cooks. We all love a 16 oz cowboy cut rib eye, but maybe an 8 oz fillet will do. unless you are extremely active and need the energy, most of us eat way more than we need. 
    Helps to eat slower too.  SWMBO is the youngest of 8 kids - she eats fast - a hold over from competing with the siblings to get the "good stuff" at meals.

I tried that. I stopped that.

What the hell, why be healthy at 85, think I will enjoy it now :-@

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    P90X is a very good program. But like most things it does require consistency. If you do it you will have results. But can get with almost any legit workout program. Advantage of P90x is in home, can do over and over again, can easily scale to your fitness level whether lean and mean or fat and slack, and can do on your schedule.

I like the idea of a weight loss comp on here. Be fun. Obviously have to work on the honor system but its a good idea.
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    All white meat, colored veggies, good carbs, searches. I learned to read ingredient labels years ago. One I follow.. Fat content can only be 25%.
  • I'm starting P90X on Monday. This will be my 3rd round. The last time I lost 26 lbs. I highly recommend checking it out.

following the diet is the hardest part of the program, workout is only 2 hours of your day (I'm doing doubles this time around), watching what you eat is the rest of the day, using the egg helps because planning and prepping are part of what I enjoy with egging, healthy or not so healthy cooks
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • double said:
    I have done gf pizza dough that turned out really well, I can look up the recipe if you would like
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain