Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide pork loin tomorrow

I'm doing a whole boneless pork loin sous vide tomorrow. I've cut and packaged it into 3 pieces. Thinking about 137 for 4 to 5 hours, how does this sound. Also, need your thoughts on seasoning in the package or after done, before the sear.
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The time required depends on the thickness of the piece of meat.

I suggest that you look here: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

You could season in the package and after...  after is a requirement if you ask me

They are 3" thick.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If I'm reading it correctly, Baldwin thickness chart indicates that the center of a thawed 3" piece of meat will take over 5 hours to reach the same temp as the water bath. More like 6, maybe more.

From what i've read, the core temp will usually be just a few degrees (F) lower than the water, so set the water bath higher if you want 137F finished temp.

Also, are you sure your SV will be able maintain/recover temperature w. a whole pork loin in it, even if cut into pieces? Assuming the water comes back to safe temperature quickly enough, add in the time it takes to come back to 137 after dropping in a large quantity of meat.

I'd plan on more like 8 hours.

Be very careful w. seasoning in the package. Almost everything I have used doubles in flavor strength. I have been doing longer SV cooks, 48 - 72 hours, and I would guess that shorter times would not have as big of an effect.

If I'm going to sear at the end, its works well enough to not add any seasoning until the meat is unpackaged, and ready for the flames. Then, use seasonings as usual.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Time?  That's easy:

The transfer of heat (by conduction) is described by the partial differential equation,

Tt=(αT),
    where α ≡ k/(ρCp) is thermal diffusivity (m2/sec), k is thermal conductivity (W/m-K), ρ is density (kg/m3), and Cp is specific heat (kJ/kg-K). If we know the temperature at some initial time and can describe how the temperature at the surface changes, then we can uniquely determine T. Although k, ρ and Cp depend on position, time and temperature, we will assume the dependence on position and time is negligible.

Since we are only interested in the temperature at the slowest heating point of the food (typically the geometric center of the food), we can approximate the three dimensional heat equation by the one dimensional heat equation

ρCp(T)Tt=k(T)[2Tr2+βrTr],T(r,0)=T0,Tr(0,t)=0,k(T)Tr(R,t)=h[TWaterT(R,t)],()
    where 0 ≤ r ≤ R and t ≥ 0, 0 ≤ β ≤ 2 is a geometric factor, T0 is the initial temperature of the food, TWater is the temperature of the fluid (air, water, steam) that the food is placed in, and h is the surface heat transfer coefficient (W/m2-K). For example, a plot showing the measured and calculated core temperature of a 27 mm thick piece of Mahi- Mahi is shown in Figure A.1.

I'm just kidding.  I have a math minor - but I don't understand that stuff anymore.

I have the Polysciene Pro model and the cambro tub with cover, so I think it will recover fast enough. I think I'll set the temp. to 139, as per your advice.

Thanks, Bill

• nolaegghead
    That model is a beast.   Any drop in water temp from throwing a bunch of food in it is insignificant.  It might drop a few degrees for a few minutes.  
    Time?  That's easy:

The transfer of heat (by conduction) is described by the partial differential equation,

Tt=(αT),
    where α ≡ k/(ρCp) is thermal diffusivity (m2/sec), k is thermal conductivity (W/m-K),
    Well. yeah, obviously
    :-??

However, the modulus of heat transfer from the surrounding liquid/gas has not been factored in the equation, rendering it almost completely useless for really serious cooks.

:))
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    gdenby said:
    Time?  That's easy:

Tt=(αT),
    where α ≡ k/(ρCp) is thermal diffusivity (m2/sec), k is thermal conductivity (W/m-K),
    Well. yeah, obviously
    :-??

However, the modulus of heat transfer from the surrounding liquid/gas has not been factored in the equation, rendering it almost completely useless for really serious cooks.

:))
    Thought I was on the sous vide forum for a second.
    =))
  • If you are going to go over 4 hours, I would go over 140 on your temp. You are skirting a fine line. there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billyray
    edited December 2012
    Got the sous vide going this morning with the pork loin cut into thirds. Put hot water from the tap in the container and set the temp. at 141. The tap water showed 146, but cooled down to 141 within 10 minutes. After I put the meat in the temp. dropped 3-1/2 degrees for about 5 minutes and then back to 141. As Nola said the Polyscience Profess. is a beast. I choose 141 to make sure the centers would reach 130 + within 6 to 7 hours. After they finish in the sous vide, I'll be taking them over to my mother-in-laws to finish searing on her gasser about a 1/2 hour wait between taking them out and searing.
    GrannyX4 said:
    Billyray, which SV unit did you get?
    Same as Nola. Polyscience Professional
    GrannyX4 said:

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • billyray said:
    Got the sous vide going this morning with the pork loin cut into thirds. Put hot water from the tap in the container and set the temp. at 141. The tap water showed 146, but cooled down to 141 within 10 minutes. After I put the meat in the temp. dropped 3-1/2 degrees for about 5 minutes and then back to 141. As Nola said the Polyscience Profess. is a beast. I choose 141 to make sure the centers would reach 130 + within 6 to 7 hours. After they finish in the sous vide, I'll be taking them over to my mother-in-laws to finish searing on her gasser about a 1/2 hour wait between taking them out and searing.
    Take them out of the bags or ice them down rapidly before transport. Even though food saver bags have plenty of oxygen in them, best safe practices for food under vacuum is to either ice them down immediately or get them out of the bags. The really bad stuff (botulinum) grows in anaerobic  environments. Even though the chance are very remote with home sealed vac bags, i would err on the side of caution just in case you get a perfect seal with no oxygen (almost impossible but not worth the chance)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Nola is obviously having a quiet work day ;-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • billyray
    billyray said:
    Take them out of the bags or ice them down rapidly before transport. Even though food saver bags have plenty of oxygen in them, best safe practices for food under vacuum is to either ice them down immediately or get them out of the bags. The really bad stuff (botulinum) grows in anaerobic  environments. Even though the chance are very remote with home sealed vac bags, i would err on the side of caution just in case you get a perfect seal with no oxygen (almost impossible but not worth the chance)
    I'll take them out of the bags and FTC for transport. Thanks
  • billyray
    edited December 2012
    GrannyX4 said:

The Polyscience Professional. Same as Nola.
  • billyray
    Here it is.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Thanks. The price keeps going up on my I want list. Maybe next year. By then you all will have perfected the cooks. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • billyray
    GrannyX4 said:
    Thanks. The price keeps going up on my I want list. Maybe next year. By then you all will have perfected the cooks. ;;)  on taste.

I'm still on the learning curve. Thanks to Centex and Nola. I didn't season in the bag, seems like too many variables for intensity, will season before the sear.
  • billyray
    edited December 2012
    Will post pics. tomorrow on the sear on the MIL's gasser. She's 89 and can't even turn it on, so no chance to get her on the Egg.
  • nolaegghead
    double said:
    Nola is obviously having a quiet work day ;-)
    I worked yesterday from 8AM to about 4:30AM this morning.  Had a deadline.  Few house of sleep and back at it.  It's pretty unusual to have to pull an all nighter for me anymore, but gotta do what I gotta do.  I wrote an insane amount of code.  Now to try to make it work....
    @billyray - looking forward to the pics and description of how it turned out. 

I pulled 3 steelhead and 1 salmon out of the cure this morning.  I'm throwing them on the smoker for cold smoking maybe tonight, if I have the energy, or tomorrow.  Tonight is a standing rib roast.
    No pics because I had to use a flashlight to do the sear at the MIL's. Also, no time after I plated as 9 people wanted to eat, now! At 141 for 7 hours there was no pink, so I guess in would be considered medium. Super moist and tender, same color edge to edge. It made a nice presentation and everyone commented how they have never been able to cook pork that wasn't dry. I am seeing the need to keep a journal of times and temp., as I can't remember all the combinations I'm doing.
  • nolaegghead
    I did a tenderloin SV at 135 for about 2.5 hours then blackened on the egg - not pan blackened, but grate on the coals blackened.  Came out very pink and extremely tender and moist.  SWMBO said I added too much blackened seasoning, and maybe I did, but I like strong, bold flavors.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/60/dda8042c0e2233f0baea4bc96a5b24.jpg
    Trying my 1st attempt at SV today, rack of pork at 140 in a butterball frier. Some Willies hog dut & butter, will sear on egg when done. Doing rack of lamb & porter house for xmas.