Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon

A coupla simple filets from last night.

I've been on the Atkins diet for only one week, and I've lost 10.5 lbs!!  Woo hoo!  And I use the term "diet" loosely...I've never been on a "diet" where I can eat steak, bacon, cheese and pork skins.  lol  My wife is also down 6 lbs.  Hopefully we can both keep it up!

Comments

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Congrats on the diet! If that is a representative sample of what you're going to be eating sign me up. BTW I can tell you used your CI grate to get those fine CHGM.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    edited December 2012
    Great start.  I have been doing Atkins for 2.5 months.    It will will slow down but you can really see results with this diet so don't let a slowdown bother you..  I am down 42 pounds since I started. 

I travel a couple of weeks a month and find it is actually easier on the road than at home!

Good luck to you and your wife as you continue.
  • Nice looking steaks, is there ever a bad looking steak? - stay strong, as the pounds come off you will feel better. Although we don't diet, we do watch portion size. For years we always took out two chicken breasts, grilled them and chowed down. Now, we tend to split one breast, use the other for stir fry the next night. 

Stick with it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eating like that and losing weight....it's a wonderful world :)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Nice looking steaks. And congrats on losing the lbs!
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Nice looking steaks, is there ever a bad looking steak? - stay strong, as the pounds come off you will feel better. Although we don't diet, we do watch portion size. For years we always took out two chicken breasts, grilled them and chowed down. Now, we tend to split one breast, use the other for stir fry the next night. 

Stick with it. 

I must agree with portion size and add exercise if you are trying to lose weight. Although you will see results, the diet is horrible for your body. A high fat (bacon) and high cholesterol (pork skins) diet is not healthy. In addition, you could possibly eat too much red meat causing gout. Plus the Atkins diet is not sustainable. Meaning it would be tough to do it for the rest of your life. Your doctor would eventually tell you to get off it. I will commend Dr Atkins for the low carb method of dieting which spawned the glycemic index dieting methods, like south beach diet. These seem to be more sustainable because they cut back on sugar, cholesterol and fat, and then add back good carbs which our body uses as energy. Maybe if Dr. Atkins had some good carbs, he would have had some energy, then he may have prevented his fall which ultimately caused his death. 

I don't diet to lose weight but watch portion size and exercise. I have been able to prevent adding any weight for years. I do watch what I eat though so i have a certain diet of foods i consume.  For instance, i have not eaten anything fried in close to five years. I love pulled pork but will eat it once a quarter due to its high fat content.  Just wish they could come up with a no calorie beer.

Keep up the good work and glad to hear of your weight loss success. Once you get to desired weight you may want to find an eating diet that is a bit healthier.

Filet is a nice lean cut of meat and those look awesome. Great grill marks. I think I know what we are eating tonight for dinner. You have tempted my taste buds.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited December 2012
    It is not sustainable to eat a dinner that consists of some type meat, lots of vegetables and very limited amounts of bread or potatoes? Please, I have been on the "Atkins" type diet for about 6 months now, lost 35 lbs and maintained that for the last 3 months. I cannot remember the last piece of bacon I ate although I could if I wanted to. Last nights very typical dinner: grilled tri tip, steamed chard, steamed broccoli, potato. All you want of the meat and veggies and very small amount of potato. This is the most misunderstood diet there is. If you think cutting processed sugar and refined carbs out of your diet is unhealthy keep bashing this diet. Dyal SC keep it up and good luck to you. You will lose weight and start feeling great it continues to get easier and don't get frustrated when you hit the plateaus.
    George
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    good looking way to start off the diet, atkins works just watch out 6 months down the road for the bread caving, make sure someone always tells the waitress no bread on the table. and dont be swayed by the south beach dieters, southbeach took the atkins plan and crossed off half the meat veggies and fruits off the list. noone says you have to only eat fatty meats on the atkins diet but you can have some when you get the urge. i would still be on it if it werent for beer
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YOU CAN'T HAVE BEER?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

YOU CAN'T HAVE BEER?
    thats the problem, at first your limited to 20 carbs and then when you get to your goal weight you can bump that up to 50/60 carbs, maybe a little more but a sam adams is 18 carbs for just the one. i tried bad beer for a while with lower carbs and the idea of drinking less, but then you start drinking more bad beer, it just doesnt work
    :)) my new plan is 3 dollars of food a day and all the whiskey i can drink, seems to be working
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I'd rather be fat

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    @gte1 and @TheEasyLife, you folks are in violent agreement! Atkins helps lots of people, and it has hurt some. Those hurt were those that chose a "high fat (bacon) and high cholesterol (pork skins) diet" rather than a diet "that consists of some type meat, lots of vegetables and very limited amounts of bread or potatoes". 
    Both offer the advice that the dieter must be sensible. A friend lost weight, but was living on bacon and other processed meats (sausage, brats, pastrami), not a wise choice. @Dyal_SC provides a good example of the type of meat to eat on Atkins. It is suitable as a long term lifestyle, with the right choices meats, portion size, exercise and even the odd carb in moderation, once the goal has been reached. IMHO.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Thanks a lot! :) I'm eating healthier things than bacon and pork skins most of the time. lol. It is nice though to splurge every once in awhile. ;) We are eating lots and lots of fresh veggies and lean meats. Thanks for the words of encouragement!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looking darn good, Dyal. Congrats on the weight loss.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dual sc...glad you are making good choices. Most people that I know of on the Atkins make poor choices and still lose weight. That's what I meant when I said not sustainable for long term. I can tell by the grand Filet Mignon you presented that you are making the right choices. Good luck in your endeavor. It is so easy to put on weight and so hard to take it off.  

Moderation and exercise is key.  My comparison to glycemic index diets does not mean that I agree with those either. I have seen both diets work for people. It's just from what I have read that diets like the S. Beach Diet tell people to stay away from high fat foods whereas the Atkins does not. Again glad to see you are making good choices and can do it with the BGE. 

• Gte1....congrats on your weight loss too!

• YOU CAN'T HAVE BEER?
    thats the problem, at first your limited to 20 carbs and then when you get to your goal weight you can bump that up to 50/60 carbs, maybe a little more but a sam adams is 18 carbs for just the one. i tried bad beer for a while with lower carbs and the idea of drinking less, but then you start drinking more bad beer, it just doesnt work
    :)) my new plan is 3 dollars of food a day and all the whiskey i can drink, seems to be working
    :D
    Remember the drinking man's diet? Das what I'm talking about!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Congrats on loosing the Wt.  Just a reminder and not to put a damper on anything but Mr Atkins dropped DEAD of a heart attack at a very early age!!  Losing wt should be a life style not a fad.  Most people do and cannot cont an atkins diet for a life time.  The end result double the wt gain back on.  

The best diet that works hands down (If you do it RIGHT it will ALWAYS work)  The Diabetic diet.  Eat like a well controlled Diabetic and if you are over wt you will start becoming heather.  

Atkins is a FAD...FInd something that your going to do for the rest of your life and enjoy things in moderation.  Once you do it will be tough to go back
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ttexxan said:
    Congrats on loosing the Wt.  Just a reminder and not to put a damper on anything but Mr Atkins dropped DEAD of a heart attack at a very early age!!  Losing wt should be a life style not a fad.  Most people do and cannot cont an atkins diet for a life time.  The end result double the wt gain back on.  

The best diet that works hands down (If you do it RIGHT it will ALWAYS work)  The Diabetic diet.  Eat like a well controlled Diabetic and if you are over wt you will start becoming heather.  

Atkins is a FAD...FInd something that your going to do for the rest of your life and enjoy things in moderation.  Once you do it will be tough to go back
    On April 8, 2003, at age 72, a day after a major snowstorm in New York, Atkins slipped on an icy pavement, suffering severe head trauma. He spent nine days in intensive care before dying on April 17, 2003, from complications from his head injury.[15] Atkins' work inspired a whole new tendency in dietetics, and many companies released low-carb diets and low-carb foods.[13] After his death the popularity of Atkins' diet waned, with the other low-carb diets eroding its market share, and questions being raised about its safety.[13] In 2005, his company Atkins Nutritionals filed for bankruptcy. It was subsequently purchased by North Castle Partners in 2007 and switched its emphasis to low-carb snacks.[13] In 2010 the company was acquired by Roark Capital Group.
    edited December 2012
    ttexxan said:
    Congrats on loosing the Wt.  Just a reminder and not to put a damper on anything but Mr Atkins dropped DEAD of a heart attack at a very early age!!  Losing wt should be a life style not a fad.  Most people do and cannot cont an atkins diet for a life time.  The end result double the wt gain back on.  

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages. Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • and he was 72 years old.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think Atkins was snowboarding down the stairs at his brownstone, having forgotten to don his safety helmet with the 1080p action cam.  It's really very sad.
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Gte1....congrats on your weight loss too!

Thanks, I was starting to pack it on pretty good, and when I decided to have my knee replaced I thought it might be a good idea to drop weight before surgery. I started at 268 and got down to 232 in about 4 mo. I am 6'4" and comfortable at this weight. So far stable for the past 3 mo. I just try to stay away fom the refined sugars and carbs. Eat plenty of fruit and veggies and feel great. The knee rehab is much easier without the extra lbs. Can't wait till this thing is in golfing shape.
    George
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    ttexxan said:

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages. Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".
    He must be thinking of Jim Fixx, who wrote "The Complete Book of Running". Dropped dead at 52 during his daily run in 1984 of a massive myocardial infarction. Causes were genetic predispositon and being a 2 PPD smoker for many years.