Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbacoa Chuckie A La Centex

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
I guess pulled beef tacos were in the air this week so I decided to throw my hat in the ring. Did a 4 lb chuckie rubbed with adobado rub from Central market bulk spice section. This is essentially 3 chili powders, cumin, salt, pepper, and mexican oregano. You can get close with any combo of those flavors. It's not the overall flavor of the beef but it adds a layer. Here it is all rubbed up and ready to go: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos After 6 hours at 165 internal, I pulled it off the egg and placed it in the braise: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos After a 3 hr braise at 275, the chuckie reached 210 internal and was totally falling apart: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos TFJ made some pickled spicy onions that were a perfect addition to the tacos: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Tacos were served with avocado, cilantro, cojita cheese and lime: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos And here is the finished product: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I'll post the recipe and step by step later
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    dont know if it was on purpose, but your photobucket account is set on public veiwing so every pic in your account shows. might want to reset it to private so only pics your putting up show
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gracias! It's only good but still need to lock it down.

• dont know if it was on purpose, but your photobucket account is set on public veiwing so every pic in your account shows. might want to reset it to private so only pics your putting up show
    I think I fixed it. Let me know if you see it again. Thanks for the heads up
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Looks great!  Tell us more about the pickled spicy onions please.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Man that look's good. Will have to try this one.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Could you also elaborate on braising?? Haven't done that before
  • Barbacoa
                * Adapted from seriouseats.com

Ingredients

• 1 whole chuck-eye roast (about 4 pounds), or 4 pounds boneless shortribs
    • Mexican BBQ Rub
    • 2 oz dried guajillo and/or ancho chilies, seeds & stems removed
    • 1 quart low sodium store-bought or homemade chicken stock, divided
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
    • 1 small onion, finely sliced
    • 6 medium cloves garlic, smashed
    • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1 Tablespoon sugar
    • 4 chipotle chilis packed in adobo with 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 whole bay leaves
    •  
    • *Warm corn tortillas, queso fresca, cilantro, limes, and sweet & spicy pickled onions for serving

Instructions

1. Smoke Beef Chuck @ 250 degrees for 5-6 hours until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
    2. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat oven to 275°F. Place chilis in bottom of a large Dutch oven and heat over high heat. Cook, turning chilis with tongs occasionally until fragrant and toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer chilis to a small saucepan and cover with 2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until chilis are completely tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
    3. Add remaining two tablespoons oil and heat along with onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until deep brown and just starting to burn, about 10 minutes. Add cumin, cloves, and oregano and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chipotle chilis, vinegar, and remaining chicken broth. Scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan, simmer until reduced by about half, then transfer entire contents to the jar of a blender.
    4. Add soaked chilis and their liquid to the blender along with fish sauce. Start blender on low and slowly increase speed to high. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
    5. Place smoked beef chuck in Dutch oven. Add bay leaves and sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Place lid on pot slightly cracked, then transfer to oven. Cook, turning beef occasionally, until internal temperature reaches 210 degrees and two forks shred beef with little to no resistance, about 3 hours. Discard bay leaves. Transfer chuck to a large plate. Return Dutch oven to stovetop and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat until liquid is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes.
    6. Return beef to the pot with the sauce and shred, gently stirring and folding until beef is coated in sauce. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately, piling the beef into warm corn tortillas with onions, cilantro, queso fresca, limes, or other condiments as desired.

Sweet & Spicy Pickled Onions
    * From Cooks Illustrated
    The onions can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Ingredients

1 medium red onion, halved and sliced thin
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    cup sugar
    2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and cut into rings
    ¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions

~ Place the onion slices in a medium heatproof bowl. Bring the vinegar, sugar, jalapeños, and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, to dissolve the sugar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onion, cover loosely, and let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. When cool, drain and discard the liquid and serve the onions.

• ttexxan said:
    Could you also elaborate on braising?? Haven't done that before
    Sure. It's the easiest way in the world to cook. It's essentially doing a low and slow in the oven with flavored liquid. read the recipe I just posted and that is a perfect example of a braise. The sauce does not need to be this complicated but this was a really good one.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    ttexxan said:
    Could you also elaborate on braising?? Haven't done that before
    Like CentTex said, one of the simplest form of cooking. Basically, a crock pot or slow cooker is braising. Often the recipe calls for the meat and optionally some veggie for flavor, and liquid, set it on low and slow and let it go until as Nola says the "bejesus" is cooked out of it.
    IMHO, many eggers braise ribs, pork butt and brisket when they foil it with some liquid after a couple or three hours of smoke. 

great looking cook CenTex, smoke our chucks then braised with horse radish - sort of a BBQ version of a New England pot roast. We never have leftovers, must try your recipe - Thanks bookmarked. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Looks great!
    Edina, MN

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    That looks really good. 

I HIGHLY recommend taking those tortillas and frying them, then immediately after you take them out of the oil sprinkle lemon-pepper seasoning on them.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Dude, that looks amazing. Right down my alley.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Looks great, your pulled meat looks so much saucier (wet) than my batch. I only used red wine and beef broth. Mine were great but yours look like a whole different meal.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    yeah buddy. It turned out really good. I was looking for something new and this was it. Give it a rip, So good, smoky, juicy, and delicious
  • Looks great, your pulled meat looks so much saucier (wet) than my batch. I only used red wine and beef broth. Mine were great but yours look like a whole different meal.

If you are feeling froggy, try this recipe. That liquid was gold. Wish I could claim credit for it, but it's still in the family (she can cook circles around me)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great, C-T.  Your barbacoa's got me thinking about ropa vieja.....

Ever try vaca frita or pollo frita?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

yeah buddy. It turned out really good. I was looking for something new and this was it. Give it a rip, So good, smoky, juicy, and delicious

I am so sorry Kyle. The cuddle fish is too dew'ishis.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • 4 chipotle chilis packed in adobo with 2 tablespoons adobo sauce.

Don't understand this but new to cooking what is adobo and where do I find it?
  • nolaegghead

Nola,

Ever try vaca frita or pollo frita?

No, but after reading the recipes, I think I'll put them on my bucket list....

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    The recipe I saw was with flank.  It's kinda like ropa vieja burnt ends.  Sounds good.  I love Cuban food.  (I like just about every ethnicity of food).  We're a big 'ol melting pot here in New Orleans. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I gotta couple Cubans on standby.  

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wow! That is something else, you guys are going to make me fat. thanks for sharing!
  • nolaegghead
    meh.  I can take em or leave em.  I think those came from my neighbor who represented some South American robber barons.
    Outta the park!! I think you take the medal for best pulled beef this week. Should we put it to a vote? ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I find them hard to light =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin said:
    Outta the park!! I think you take the medal for best pulled beef this week. Should we put it to a vote? ;)
    bwa haaa. I know just the guy to run it. :))