Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak

Options
I would like everyone's opinion on the best way they have found to cook a steak. High and fast? Ever try low and slow?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Depends on the cut. You can't low and slow lean meat but you could a ribeye

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I did a low and slow on 80/20 burgers...they were juicy and taste great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DawgDays
    Options
    T-rex is the way to go for strips and ribeyes that are 1" thick or bigger, IMO. I've never done filet mignon and I would wonder what others have to say. Maybe hot tub and sear?
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I cooked up a couple of 1 inch thick ribeyes this afternoon.

I grilled them at about 500° for two minutes then flipped them. Grilled for two more minutes then flipped them again. Two more minutes then flipped and checked temp every 60 seconds until the temp hit 135° (about three minutes). The grill marks weren't as nice as I would like, but I think that will change when I get my swing rack.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Options
    I prefer reverse sear, though its a PITA on a single egg.  Set up for indirect at 225 and cook until the internal temp is around 110.  Then take the steaks off, remove the plate setter/spider-stone and crank the egg up to 600 or more.  Then throw the steaks back on for a minute or two a side, aiming for an internal temp of 135 or so.  The grid marks are nice, but I prefer to sear the whole surface an even dark brown and the internal temp of 135 makes things nice and medium rare inside.  Just my two cents.

@Parallel - Those look very delish.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Thanks... but I should have trimmed them up before I snapped the pic... the dog likes hers medium (she might like them rare but that seems to upset her digestion) so I cook those bits then trim them off and let them cool before they go in her dish. :D

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    LOL... I guess you could say I've been practicing "brand evangelism". :))

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    brewbq said:
    I prefer reverse sear, though its a PITA on a single egg.  Set up for indirect at 225 and cook until the internal temp is around 110.  Then take the steaks off, remove the plate setter/spider-stone and crank the egg up to 600 or more.  Then throw the steaks back on for a minute or two a side, aiming for an internal temp of 135 or so.  The grid marks are nice, but I prefer to sear the whole surface an even dark brown and the internal temp of 135 makes things nice and medium rare inside.  Just my two cents.

@Parallel - Those look very delish.
    Agreed. I load my CI grid in the egg, plate setter on top, legs up then my SS grid. Egg at 225, for the low and slow. Remove the SS grid and setter and open the vents, The CI grid is already quite hot as it has been under the setter and above the lump. Once the egg is at 400 or so the steaks go back on. Try brushing your steak with some melted butter before the sear to help "dark brown" the whole surface. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options

I am revisiting this discussion and looking for advice.  I have made many ribeyes via T Rex method and have been bragging about them to about anyone who would listen.  So, some friends of ours asked me to make them steaks and they are providing the meat for a little get together tomorrow night.  THey emailed me this morning and said they bought 4 filet mignon steaks, each one about 2 inches thick.  I have never cooked a tenderloin steak (I have always prefered ribeye)- so I am reading.  Two questions:

Should I reverse sear and if so, how long will the low and slow take to get to 115 degrees (remember, they are bringing the steaks with them so I can't get them started early...) or should I just T Rex?

Thanks!!

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of the reverse sear, best steaks I've ever done.  I use a probe to get to desired temp so I'm not sure of the time it would take but it's not long, probably takes just as much time to get to desired temp as it does to raise the egg temp to 650 for the sear.
  • booksw
    Options

Thanks so much!  I am going to try it- when I read "low and slow" I imagined more time than that (possibly on the order of an hour).  I am not thrilled about experimenting on these friends since I have been bragging so much but then again even a messed up steak on the BGE turns out better than any steak on a gas grill  :-j

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I did tenderloins a few weeks ago, they were about 2" thick.
    I did reverse sear. Cooked indirect at 275 till I reached 110, I think it took about 15-20 minutes
    Pulled plate setter and seared about 3 minutes each side to 130-135
    Best steaks I've ever done!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    If you start with those steaks at 35 degrees (just out of a very cold refrigerator) it could take a while if your grill temp is in the low 200s. Letting the steaks come to room temperature and/or cooking at 275-300 degrees could both shorten the "low and slow" portion of the cook.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CajunEggHead
    Options
    Looks good enough to eat and I mean right now......Good job

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • booksw
    Options
    Wow thank you so much- our guests like there steaks cooked a bit more done than we do so I am planning on taking ours off the "low and slow" at 110-115 and leaving there's on for another few minutes to maybe 120 or 125 and then sear them together 90 sec per side.  Sound right...?

I am HUNGRY.  I have the fire going with the plate setter legs up and have just put about a dozen gold potatoes in there.  They steaks should be here in about 45 minutes.  I am going to salt and pepper and oil them  and then take the potatoes off and put the steaks on.  They live a good 30 minutes away so at least the steak will be out of the fridge for that long.  I am also going to grill portobello caps, plum tomatoes, and sliced vadalia onions.  I am making salad with lettuce from our garden.  I just realized I forgot to buy bread today.  Well, the potatoes will have to suffice...

Thanks again!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Foghorn
    Options

"Wow thank you so much- our guests like there steaks cooked a bit more done than we do so I am planning on taking ours off the "low and slow" at 110-115 and leaving there's on for another few minutes to maybe 120 or 125 and then sear them together 90 sec per side. Sound right...?"

Yes.

Most importantly, don't let the sides distract you from the main feature.  Don't ask me how I know.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• booksw
    Options
    Very wise words...  Thanks!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @booksw, so how did the steaks turn out?

San Antonio, TX

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Options
    My system of cooking steaks that are over an inch thick... No platesetter. GX grill extender set on top of the fire box. Regular 18" grid set on top of the fire ring. Stabilize dome temp at 350 degrees, that means you are baking your meat at about 310 to 320 degrees. Put meat on, close the lid until the meat gets to 90 degrees. Open lid just to turn the steak over, close the lid. When the meat reaches 115 degrees I open the lid and take the meat off and place it on a plate. I open the bottom vent wide open. I remove the 18" grid and set it aside. I paint the side of the steak that I am going to sear first with beef love. Beef love is fat that I've trimmed off of pork butts or anything that needs the fat trimmed off. I put it in a sauce pan and melt it down to a liquid form and use it to add another layer of flavor to my steaks. It's better than olive oil and won't burn like butter does. I sometimes add a compound butter after it comes off the grill. Back to the cook... After I paint the first side with beef love I put it on my little GX grid that sits right on top of the fire box, 2" from the now red hot lump coal. I sear it for 2 to 3 minutes and before I turn it I paint the other side with beef love and then turn it. Then and only then do I put fresh ground pepper on it. The reverse sear is so hot it will burn off any pepper that is on the meat. Once the meat is turned I stick my thermapen in it and when it reaches 135... It's done. Do this... You get steaks with that deep dark brown mahogany surface and an interior that is pink, bumper to bumper.
  • booksw
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @booksw, so how did the steaks turn out?
    SOrry it took me months to see this... they turned out AMAZING and I made them again last night.  Actually, I used TRex last night mostly because it works better for me in terms of cooking everything else.  I find I can get the egg up to 700 degrees pretty quickly when I first light the lump, sear the steaks for 90 sec per side, and then foil them and forget them for a pretty long time (last night was about an hour) while I bring the temp down and cook everything else (last night was brined and marinated shrimp, and asparagus).  I finish off the steaks last so my whole attention is on them and then I let them sit for another 10 or so minutes before cutting them.  Also, I know this isn't too popular around here but I have the BGE instant read thermometer that I bought at eggtoberfest and it works great for me- last  night it read each steak very quickly- I just stick it in and it reads.  Maybe I just got a freak good one.  Tonight- chicken wings!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs