Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Any thoughts on the Supreme? $429 on Amazon right now...
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    Options
    Ps thanks for all the feedback!
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

double said:
    Never used one, but the reviews look pretty good.  I'm getting the polyscience head because I have negative counter space right now in the kitchen.  The polyscience unit gives you laboratory level temp control and circulation and the versatility to use just about any container/size as the bath.  I think I'd probably save some money and do just as well with any unit.  Just having that capability, and it being convenient is a luxury.
    double said:

I have it and I love it. It's simple but it works perfectly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    Options
    Had a good few sales months another house closed yesterday so it's looking good.
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    double said:
    Had a good few sales months another house closed yesterday so it's looking good.

Congrats! I love my SV and use it all the time. It works great with the egg (or just a pan). It's so easy it's almost unfair.
  • double
    Options
    Thanks I have been spending a lot on things that go bang recently so the egg side needs some love!
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    double said:
    Thanks I have been spending a lot on things that go bang recently so the egg side needs some love!

Things that go bang are cool too. :)
  • double
    Options
    Yep latest was a 1936 Mosin nagent so much fun.
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I just pulled the trigger on the PolyScience Sous Vide Professional.  Can't wait to get it.
    Options
    I just pulled the trigger on the PolyScience Sous Vide Professional.  Can't wait to get it.
    Do they ever go on sale?  How many times per month do you think you will use it?  I'm trying to justify the cost - need to convince SWMBO that it is a fiscally sound purchase.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I haven't seen a sale before, but eBay and Amazon carry used or "new, unused, no packaging" (whatever that means).  I bought mine from Amazon - it was listed as Used - mint, used once.  $150 off new price. 

The Supreme is $370 less. They dropped the price on it.  Cen-Tex has one and loves it.  The only main difference is the circulation pump is about half the size and pump rate.  I think they have the same heater wattage.

The professional used to be $1000, the price dropped to $800. 
    edited October 2012
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Do they ever go on sale?  How many times per month do you think you will use it?  I'm trying to justify the cost - need to convince SWMBO that it is a fiscally sound purchase.
    I have the SVS Demi which I think now costs around $350-$400. I use it almost every week. It's not a fiscally sound purchase but it's a great tool to have if you love to cook. I don't know if both you guys work or not, but the amazing thing is, you can drop in some chicken, or a couple of steaks in the am and they will be perfect within an hour but will hold all day at perfect temp. You can throw some veggies in there too and when you come home, finish the meat with a quick sear in a pan or on your egg, or with a torch and you will have the best, juiciest meat you have ever made in under 5 minutes of work and with very little mess. They are really cool, but they are a toy in the end.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    PolyScience is sort of a gold standard for sous-vide. There are less expensive options that work pretty well.

I've yet to get organized enough to use my base level kit to its fullest, i.e. cook sous vide,  finished food into an ice bath, and then re-heat briefly via SV when needed.

But, like the Egg, a few samples of the product can do wonders. Last week, I repeated (again) my first SV cook. Beef short ribs for 72 hr., then a quick Egg sear. Wife's comment "Exquisite.."
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I justify this way - SWMBO and I can drop that kind of bank eating two or three meals at a local 5-star restaurant, which is probably using sous vide to cook, depending on what we order, our entre or side.

From what I've seen, the PolyScience units are completely serviceable and if you end up not using it, you can sell it on eBay and get most of your money back.  They hold their value.
    "you can sell it on eBay and get most of your money back.  They hold their value."

Same logic I used when I bought my egg..............Many years ago :)

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I justify this way - SWMBO and I can drop that kind of bank eating two or three meals at a local 5-star restaurant, which is probably using sous vide to cook, depending on what we order, our entre or side.

From what I've seen, the PolyScience units are completely serviceable and if you end up not using it, you can sell it on eBay and get most of your money back.  They hold their value.
    I hadn't thought of the "I can always sell it on eBay".  This is one of the reasons I love this forum - great justifications for spending money on toys!!!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You won't regret it...  which version did you get?

Options

paqman said:
    You won't regret it...  which version did you get?
    SVC-AC1B 

http://www.abt.com/product/49599/PolyScience-SVCAC1B.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=SVCAC1B&adtype=pla

Also doubles as a red-neck hot tube heater. 
    Options
    I don't use my sous vide supreme as much as I thought I would. I don't like to use it for most red meat ie. Steaks or tri tip. It is great for doing flank or skirt steaks over a couple days. Boneless skinless chicken breast are amazing. I did scrambled eggs and they were the best eggs I have ever had. I use it for hot tubs on steaks and tri tips but I don't do 132 I keep it at like 110 for an hour and a half then sear and smoke indirect. Its a fun toy to have.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Lit said:
    I don't use my sous vide supreme as much as I thought I would. I don't like to use it for most red meat ie. Steaks or tri tip. It is great for doing flank or skirt steaks over a couple days. Boneless skinless chicken breast are amazing. I did scrambled eggs and they were the best eggs I have ever had. I use it for hot tubs on steaks and tri tips but I don't do 132 I keep it at like 110 for an hour and a half then sear and smoke indirect. Its a fun toy to have.
    You should try 125 for an hour or more then sear 45-60 seconds per side directly on the coals. 110 is not a safe temperature, especially if you are holding the temperature for a long time...

How did you cook the eggs?  Did you season them?

Lit said:

eggs are amazing. Do a poached egg to medium and it's like a custard. You just cut off the top of the shell and shake it out. It stays whole but it's still kinda runny. really good. My kids love them
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    paqman said:

Lit said:

You should try 125 for an hour or more then sear 45-60 seconds per side directly on the coals. 110 is not a safe temperature, especially if you are holding the temperature for a long time...

How did you cook the eggs?  Did you season them?

i have done steaks and tri tip at 128-132 for a couple hours and then seared but I prefer to sous vide at a lower temp a shorter time to keep it safe then sear then smoke indirect. I will have to find the sous vide scrambled egg recipe I will post it tomorrow but they were really good. A friend of mine did eggs benedict in his sous vide when we were over there a couple weeks ago and they were really good.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm watching NOVA and Nathan Myhrvold (the guy who wrote Modernist Cuisine) is on. Great episode if you can find it. But anyway, he uses the poly science Sous Vide contoller in an open bath. He puts enough ping pong balls in the bath to cover the surface of the the water to hold the heat in. Pretty cool trick
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm watching NOVA and Nathan Myhrvold (the guy who wrote Modernist Cuisine) is on. Great episode if you can find it. But anyway, he uses the poly science Sous Vide contoller in an open bath. He puts enough ping pong balls in the bath to cover the surface of the the water to hold the heat in. Pretty cool trick
    Polyscience sells a "blanket" - bunch of polypropylene balls to insulate the surface of the bath.   Same concept.  We use those in our labs too.  I'd love to see that Nova.  Thanks
    Polyscience sells a "blanket" - bunch of polypropylene balls to insulate the surface of the bath.   Same concept.  We use those in our labs too.  I'd love to see that Nova.  Thanks

that may have been what they were. looked like ping pong balls to me. it was s great episode. they did turkey in Americas test kitchen, then did 15 minutes with Nathan. It was cool (brine your turkey)
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I hate all of you.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hate all of you.
    haters gonna hate
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I hate you the most.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    youz guyz....