Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

while I cook

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited October 2012 in Off Topic
Usually on the weekend I'll do a low and slow, watch football, drink a few and build stage props for my daughters competition dance team. Here's a cave and stones I just finished. It's kinda hard to see the textures and faux paint....but overall, I was pleased with it.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've built a few props too. Expensive pastime for the girls eh?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Omg...it takes all my time in the fall. It's worth it though. This is my baby's last year so I'd better enjoy it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ah, booze and power tools. My favorite passtime
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    ah, booze and power tools. My favorite passtime
    Only way I know how to use them. Measure once, cut twice. Doing my part to keep the timber industry going strong.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    Omg...it takes all my time in the fall. It's worth it though. This is my baby's last year so I'd better enjoy it.
    Mine had 12 dances last year and the year before. She moved to a better studio this year and hopefully she wont have as many

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    henapple, gotta give ya props on those props.  Reminds me of the Stonehenge props in Spinal Tap.   Awesome.
    Options
    She's the captain of her dance team at HS and does competition dance. Keeps her out of trouble. She goes to college next year. Momma and I figure we'll save some money after dance.....lol

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mine is in Grade ten (Junior?). Full dance program at an arts high school and 30 hours a week now and they haven't picked the competitives yet. Ouch, hope she gets a scholarship.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thats really cool henapple. I wish I has skill to do anything like that. The most complex thing I can build are ABTs! You should build yourself a man cave.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My teenager is a hapless clutz so I never had to do the dance thing.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mine is in Grade ten (Junior?). Full dance program at an arts high school and 30 hours a week now and they haven't picked the competitives yet. Ouch, hope she gets a scholarship.
    @henapple, great looking props, lucky to have you as a parent with talent vs a parent with attitude. 

Sophomore, is grade 10 I think, the progression is freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. 
    My daughter is now 35, in high school was a national level gymnast, 40 hrs a week in the gym, kept her out of trouble. I hope Dance is less expensive - but I doubt it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @henapple, great looking props, lucky to have you as a parent with talent vs a parent with attitude. 

Sophomore, is grade 10 I think, the progression is freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. 
    My daughter is now 35, in high school was a national level gymnast, 40 hrs a week in the gym, kept her out of trouble. I hope Dance is less expensive - but I doubt it. 
    The costumes average $300 each, the competition fees are about the same per dance, plus the regular fees and I wont even talk about  the shoes. With the travel it's about 30K a year. As a good friend of mine who is a pro level hockey instructor and whose daughter dances with mine said "It's like watching your kid play a shift...every two (expletive) hours."

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    @Little_Steven, $30K is about right, love the comment on watching a shift every two hours. In my daughter's case, when she did get to perform, it was always a solo event, but it was an agonizing wait between events. (I'm sure other parents felt the same way as they waited to watch the apple of their eye)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    At least with the boys it was only an hour, not a 4 day weekend

Steve 

Caledon, ON