Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

San Antonio eats

Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited October 2012 in Off Topic
Saw a similar thread for Austin, so I thought I'd ask about San Antonio. Taking the family to SeaWorld and the river walk and am looking for recommendations for dinner on the river walk. Criteria is kid-friendly, and I'd prefer it be locally-owned. Any ideas?

Comments

• I stay away from the River Walk for food.  Have lived here 30 years and felt ripped off every time. Try Rosarios for a treat, although not technically on the river walk it's near it on St Mary's and is definatley local.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosarios-mexican-cafe-y-cantina-san-antonio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I ate at Rosarios about two month ago - it was really good.  If you want some really good BBQ off the beaten path I was really impressed with Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo (Northeast San Antonio - a bit outside the city limits).   http://www.harmonsbbq.com/index2.html
    I've only eaten here for breakfast but, its the best tacos I've ever had. I was told about it by a 5th generation Texan. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    I've only eaten here for breakfast but, its the best tacos I've ever had. I was told about it by a 5th generation Texan. 
    That joint is awesome.
    That joint is awesome.
    I like the one in Market Square so I can shop all the cheap Mexican stuff after I drown my hangover with brisket tacos. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead

That joint is awesome.
    I like the one in Market Square so I can shop all the cheap Mexican stuff after I drown my hangover with brisket tacos. 
    We usually always visit Market Square and come home with a bunch of useless crap that's fun to buy (and SWMBO loves the silver jewelry they sell by weight).  Last time we shopped there, it just didn't do it for us. We just drank some huge beers that ended up getting warm and dumping them out while wandering around.

Travis just mentioned Mi Tierra's.  That is also very good, but also a bit touristy.  The owners have another Tex Mex restaurant, not far from Mi Tierra's that caters more to the locals.  It's called Pico de Gallo's.  Same great food as Mi Tierras. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lil Rhine steakhouse on the river walk is a very nice meal and a great experience.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Travis is very correct. But we never go without going to Alamo Cafe.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Italian, Paesano's and Piattis (Alamo Height's area)
    hamburgers Bracken Store Cafe (One of the best of the original Sill's Bean Burgers served in SA) -  I understand the the Sills family has set up a food trailer serving the original bean burger have not been there yet.  
    Cappy's on Broadway in Alamo Heights always a favorite.
    While in Alamo Heights stop by Gucci-B...the original Central Market
    +1 for Little Rhine
    Mexican away from Riverwalk Jacala's on West Ave La Fonda on Main
    One of the best Chicken Fried Steaks-DeWese's Tip Top cafe on Fredericksburg Road
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Italian, Paesano's and Piattis (Alamo Height's area)

hamburgers Bracken Store Cafe (One of the best of the original Sill's Bean Burgers served in SA) -  I understand the the Sills family has set up a food trailer serving the original bean burger have not been there yet.  
    Cappy's on Broadway in Alamo Heights always a favorite.
    While in Alamo Heights stop by Gucci-B...the original Central Market
    +1 for Little Rhine
    Mexican away from Riverwalk Jacala's on West Ave La Fonda on Main
    One of the best Chicken Fried Steaks-DeWese's Tip Top cafe on Fredericksburg Road
    La Fonda is the bomb!

El Milagrito is a cool local tex mex joint but kind of In The hood.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    +1 on Cappy's.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    BBQ - Harmon's in Cibilo
    Pizza - Florios off of Broadway
    Hamburger - Chris Madrids on Blanco Rd
    TexMex - Chuys
    Mexican - Pico De Gallo off of Ceaser Chavez Rd. Rosario's is also very good.
    Breakfast - Magnolia Pancake Haus. My favorite breakfast spot of all time.
    Home style food - The Guenther House. This place is fabulous and a very historic venue.

I live here in San Antonio so feel free to ask me any questions.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Taco Taco is also very very good!
  • nolaegghead
    Pizza try "Dough"

http://www.doughpizzeria.com/

DOUGH Pizzeria Napoletana, located in San Antonio is to date one of an elite 54 restaurants in the United States and #292 in the world to receive the prestigious certification from L'Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana for serving authentic Pizza Napoletana.

In order to be considered for certification, Doug Horn, Chef/Owner of DOUGH, studied artisan pizza-making with the Director of the Verace Pizza Napoletana Americas-Peppe Miele. Doug was taught the process of making authentic Pizza Napoletana, following the strict guidelines as set forth by the Italian government.

• Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm beginning to think one day isn't going to be enough! I'll probably do Tex-Mex since its my first trip there, but I've heard of Dough before and have been dying to try it.

The wife is really set on eating on a patio along the river, so Cazzy what's the best Tex-Mex that touches the river?
  • Mickey
    When we take someone to the River Walk to eat we will go to Rio-Rio and sit on the sidewalk like all the other 5000 people that day. Is it out of this world: No. Much better have been given in this post but you want to eat on the Walk and it is fine for that. Most people want a meal on the River Walk and Rio-Rio to me is fine for that.

• Mickey said:
    Most people want a meal on the River Walk and Rio-Rio to me is fine for that.
    Mickey,

Don't you mean Casa Rio?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Thanks Mickey, I'll keep working on her, but they call em SWMBO for a reason. ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2012
    Pizza try "Dough"

DOUGH Pizzeria Napoletana, located in San Antonio is to date one of an elite 54 restaurants in the United States and #292 in the world to receive the prestigious certification from L'Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana for serving authentic Pizza Napoletana.

In order to be considered for certification, Doug Horn, Chef/Owner of DOUGH, studied artisan pizza-making with the Director of the Verace Pizza Napoletana Americas-Peppe Miele. Doug was taught the process of making authentic Pizza Napoletana, following the strict guidelines as set forth by the Italian government.

Really screwed up this post
    Thanks Nola for posting that.  I totally forgot about pizzas.  
    That is a +1 place
    C-T +1 for El Milagrito
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Pizza try "Dough"

That is a +1 place
    C-T +1 for El Milagrito

That was Nola. I'm so good I get cred for other people's stuff! Awesome
  • nolaegghead
    I prefer to remain anonymous with a Guy Faulk mask... ;) so it's all good.

I've never eaten at Dough, but I have two brothers and my mom living in San Antonio and I got the skinny from my youngest brother, who sent me a pic of the wood oven.  It's glorious.  Heard it's hard to get in.

That is a +1 place
    C-T +1 for El Milagrito

That was Nola. I'm so good I get cred for other people's stuff! Awesome

Now you got it. El Milagrito is a cool spot. haven't been there in a while but loved it when I went last.
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    Most people want a meal on the River Walk and Rio-Rio to me is fine for that.
    Mickey,

Don't you mean Casa Rio?

Gary thanks. Yes, Casa Rio.

• cazzy

I prefer to remain anonymous with a Guy Faulk mask... ;) so it's all good.

I've never eaten at Dough, but I have two brothers and my mom living in San Antonio and I got the skinny from my youngest brother, who sent me a pic of the wood oven.  It's glorious.  Heard it's hard to get in.

I have eaten at Dough. It's very good but a tad overpriced. It's great to experience once or twice, but there are several SA Pizza spots that fit the bill.

Florios
    Grimaldis
    Miss Ellie's
    Capparelli's
  • cazzy

The wife is really set on eating on a patio along the river, so Cazzy what's the best Tex-Mex that touches the river?

I honestly am not much help here. Since I live here, I don't frequent the River Walk much as I don't want to deal with the long wait times.

I have eaten at Hotel Valencia which is on the RW...very good spot but its not Mexican.

• cazzy
    Oh and since I'm Mexican, the last thing I want to eat is usually Mexican. The ones I do go to are hole in the walls that cook up some bomb Mexican food that remind me of my late mother.
  • cazzy said:
    Oh and since I'm Mexican, the last thing I want to eat is usually Mexican. The ones I do go to are hole in the walls that cook up some bomb Mexican food that remind me of my late mother.
    I never see Mexicans in Tex Mex restaurants.  But, there are probably more Taquerias in town than Tex Mex's.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Schilo's Deli (pronounced sheeloh's) on Commerce. Great soups and sandwiches. Schnitzel is good too. If nothing else, just stop in for a pitcher of their root beer, best I've ever had.

Cazzy pretty muched nailed down some good places. We lived in Schertz (outskirts of SA) for 10+ yrs and we've enjoyed everyplace on that list. For pizza though, our go to place was Big Lou's on WW White.

Mickey mentioned Alamo Cafe, the fresh flour tortilla's dipped in queso are hard to beat.

Dang I miss that town. Except for the summers.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • cazzy
    edited October 2012

Schilo's Deli (pronounced sheeloh's) on Commerce. Great soups and sandwiches. Schnitzel is good too. If nothing else, just stop in for a pitcher of their root beer, best I've ever had.

Cazzy pretty muched nailed down some good places. We lived in Schertz (outskirts of SA) for 10+ yrs and we've enjoyed everyplace on that list. For pizza though, our go to place was Big Lou's on WW White.

Mickey mentioned Alamo Cafe, the fresh flour tortilla's dipped in queso are hard to beat.

Dang I miss that town. Except for the summers.

Big Lou's is great, especially if you have very large group. There 42" pie will feed a ton of peeps. The giant sized pies draw in a lot of peeps so expect a 1-2 hour wait if you go during a peak time. My only complaint about their huge pie is its paper thin...but that's probably needed to cook a pie that big in a timely manner.