Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer recommendations

EggerInCharlotte
EggerInCharlotte Posts: 76
edited October 2012 in Pork
Hey, everyone!

I am looking for recommendations on reliable leave-in thermometers?

Thanks!

Comments

• many on here use the maverick E732 with good results. I personally have gone through 3 of them in the past few years because the probes are faulty. Some guys on here have had them for 8 years and never had a problem so I guess it's a crap shoot. I know I have 3 of them in my drawer and have only 1 set of working probes, which I just bought for $35 from Maverick.

I know thermoworks makes a good leave in digital and you can always get your checkbook out and go with one of the stokers like digiQ, PartyQ etc. Those actually control the temp of the egg as well as display the food temps
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • many on here use the maverick E732 with good results. I personally have gone through 3 of them in the past few years because the probes are faulty. Some guys on here have had them for 8 years and never had a problem so I guess it's a crap shoot. I know I have 3 of them in my drawer and have only 1 set of working probes, which I just bought for $35 from Maverick.

I know thermoworks makes a good leave in digital and you can always get your checkbook out and go with one of the stokers like digiQ, PartyQ etc. Those actually control the temp of the egg as well as display the food temps
    You should know you can buy replacement probes directly from Maverick.  I've burnt several out as well, but I just order 2-packs of both smoker and food probes. I believe they are $7 each.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

You should know you can buy replacement probes directly from Maverick.  I've burnt several out as well, but I just order 2-packs of both smoker and food probes. I believe they are $7 each.
    I did buy them from maverick.... for $35. I wish I could find them for $7. I bought the thing for $49 so charging me $35 for probes that go out every 6 months is no bueno for me
  • I just received a Maverick ET-732 and while I can't say anything about the durability, the first tests are positive.  Both probes were spot on in the boiling water.  We did a beer can chicken over the weekend and it was nice to be able to monitor the progress while watching the Ryder Cup Meltdown.  Knew exactly when it hit target temp and was able to pull it during commercials.  Will baby the probes and hope they last, unlike other threads have mentioned.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    +1 ET-732
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Make sure you get the 732. I've got the 73 (from before the 732 came out) and the distance it transmits is really not good. Especially if you try and go inside.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Great stuff!  Thanks, everyone!
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I agree with Griffin.  Spend the extra $ on the 732.  I also bought the earlier 73 and it just isn't that great.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • GLW said:
    I agree with Griffin.  Spend the extra $ on the 732.  I also bought the earlier 73 and it just isn't that great.
    I have both (3 units total). The probes have lasted under 6 months on all 3 of them. I'm on my 2nd set of replacement probes now. They are cool units, just understand that you are most likely going to be spending $35 a year (or every 6-9 months) on new probes for it.
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    C-TS, I burned out my probes the very first time  i used (within 30 seconds)the 73.  Really ticked me off!  Since then i will only use the "new" 732 on low/slow cooks.  I use my thermapen on any cook over 250. 
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • I just upgraded to the ET-732 from the 73, and I can say I like it better as far as how it functions (I also bought the 6-foot probes, which are nice for getting around longer distances). 

However, there are a couple design changes I do NOT like (I dunno why some companies decide to change things which once worked just fine). 

Anyway, here's what I don't like:

1. The 73 allowed you to adjust the target temp up OR down.  The 732 forces you to go ALL the way around to get to the beginning again.  So, if your last setting was, say, 145, and this time you wanna set something to beep at say, 130, you'll have to go from 145 all the way to the end (I think it's like 550 or something) then back around to 130.  STUPID design change, if you ask me.
    2. The 73 had battery compartments on both the transmitter & receiver which you could slide out w/ your thumbs.  The 732 has a compartment on 1 of them (can't recall which at the moment) which is held in place by 2 tiny (eye-glass style) screws, which means that when you want to replace the batteries, you've gotta go get the tiny screwdriver outta the tool box!!  Again, another STUPID design change!!

As a design engineer, I am hyper-sensitive to things like this, especially when they change it for the WORSE during the next iteration of the product!  :-w   X(

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    GLW said:
    I have both (3 units total). The probes have lasted under 6 months on all 3 of them. I'm on my 2nd set of replacement probes now. They are cool units, just understand that you are most likely going to be spending $35 a year (or every 6-9 months) on new probes for it.

Or you could just get a pit controller (like the one Mickey isn't using.  ;) ), set that and never bother to look at temperatures again.

The only time I use my Maverick anymore is when I go down to the ranch and am forced to use my old offset smoker.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Griffin glad you posted that, I forgot to go look for that to let John use. Will look tonight.

John I have a advertising meeting at the State Fair Friday (Toyota building) but will call you and on one of your trips up and down I35 you can stop by Salado and pick it up.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Anyone use the Thermoworks TW8060?  Its a bit expensive, but looks more commercial duty.

http://thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html
    many on here use the maverick E732 with good results. I personally have gone through 3 of them in the past few years because the probes are faulty. Some guys on here have had them for 8 years and never had a problem so I guess it's a crap shoot. I know I have 3 of them in my drawer and have only 1 set of working probes, which I just bought for $35 from Maverick.

I did buy them from maverick.... for $35. I wish I could find them for $7. I bought the thing for $49 so charging me $35 for probes that go out every 6 months is no bueno for me

Centex you were correct.  Just checked.  I buy the stock 4 ft probes for $12 a piece.  The high heat 6ft probe is $27.75.  Either way, they shouldn't burn out at that rate. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Anyone use the Thermoworks TW8060?  Its a bit expensive, but looks more commercial duty.

hmmmm.... me likey the looks of that - very rugged and... "manly"  :ar!  <--- closest thing I could find to a "macho" icon!! heh

Wish I hadn't bought the Mav so soon... #-o
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Anyone use the Thermoworks TW8060?  Its a bit expensive, but looks more commercial duty.

I looked at this, if I'm not mistaken, it is not "rain" resistant and you have to be in the pit to read it, that is it is not wireless. I went with a discount Maverick 732 (came with 3' probe wires), fingers crossed it is still working just fine. 
    To Hillbilly's design point, I agree, setting temp alarms is a pain on the 732. The pit transmitter is the one with the "screwed" battery cover, I think their logic was to keep it "rain" resistant. Although if you are not using the food probe, it is almost impossible to get the weather plug to stay in, so not sure how rain proof that makes it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GLW said:
    C-TS, I burned out my probes the very first time  i used (within 30 seconds)the 73.  Really ticked me off!  Since then i will only use the "new" 732 on low/slow cooks.  I use my thermapen on any cook over 250. 
    I only do low and slow too. I've never had them over 300. The 73 is only rated for low and slow but the 732 says it's good to like 550 or something like that. I've never been close to those temps
  • Anyone use the Thermoworks TW8060?  Its a bit expensive, but looks more commercial duty.

hmmmm.... me likey the looks of that - very rugged and... "manly"  :ar!  <--- closest thing I could find to a "macho" icon!! heh

Wish I hadn't bought the Mav so soon... #-o
    @lizzysamps has it and I believe really likes it. Check out her posts and there are pics of it in action. 
  • nolaegghead
    The probes on the Thermoworks use the same mini connector that the commercial lab equipment at my work uses (thermocouples).  Make me think they use commercial quality probes, and you can buy those probes (type K) from anywhere, not just the manufacturer.

Just got mine.  Only used once.  Works like a champ.  Very satisfied.  (I got the High Temp probes.)
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Well as for the Maverick 732 I have one and it is JUNK!! Pricilla has just sent me new probes (the second time) I am now doing a pork shoulder the maverick reads 271 the digi-Q reads 215 the dome reads 250. Maverick and Digi-Q are cliped to each other. I will contact the factory again tomorrow they are helpful but product is junk.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    I think the maverick works perfectly fine from what I've read and the user community, much are vocal here.  I think the biggest shortcoming is it's relatively fragile.  If you're in an extreme environment or use stuff "fast" like in a commercial setting, where it gets banged up from employees that are a little lax, it's not for you.  You get wireless, water resistance, for only like 60 bucks with the maverick.   Having bought a lot of commercial instrumentation in my time, not even the Thermoworks unit would probably not be considered for lab use.  But if those were the only two choices, I'd have to go with moving the egg into a covered location, giving up the wireless and getting the Thermoworks. 
  • Anybody use the igrill? I've fit a maverick and I've had great success. Ive often thought it would be cool to use my phone as my monitor. I still have an android, so no igrill for me. If I buy an iPhone, I might have to check it out.
    Mark Annville, PA