Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

🔥🍖 Official September BBQ Showdown: Voting Thread 🍖🔥

Entry 1:

paqman said:
Ok, I’ll start!

Microwaved Corn Relish Hot Dog:

-Place sausage in hot dog bun
-Wrap in a paper towel
-Microwave on high for 40 seconds 
-Top hot dog with homemade day old corn relish

Bonus points because it was breakfast 🤣😂
I think that my odds of winning are pretty high!

Entry 2:

Ragingirishman2 said:
I went out of our traditional zone and did my first peri peri chicken. The only peppers I could find were jalapeño and habanero, no Fresno peppers to be found. The chicken was marinated over night and put on the egg indirect at about 375. Very good flavor but not exactly our favorite. The contest made me push my comfort zone which is what I wanted to try. I’m excited to see the other entries. 
Entry 3:

CPFC1905 said:
Say hello to the cheese skirt.

It's cheese.  Just cheese.

Grated cheddar, add one handful to a pan that is hot, wait, flip, consume with burger (ideally itself endowed with melted plastic cheese slice) and augmented with stuff, like pickles and sauces.

Or just eat it like a dirty secret.

Perhaps I'll be able to measure the cheese in future? 🤞
Entry 4:

JohnInCarolina said:
OK, here is my entry.

This was inspired by the Yukpo that @DoubleEgger posted recently - basically Korean beef jerky.  I’ve made that recipe myself and it’s very good.  So I thought, well, how about using that same marinade for beef back ribs?

So that’s my entry: Korean beef back ribs.  I got some good ones from Wegmans.   You mix up the marinade, being sure to toast the sesame seeds, because that makes all the difference.  I did skip the Liquid Smoke, however, for obvious reasons.

In the marinade overnight, here they are on the BGE after a couple of hours:

I smoked them at 250F for 4.5 hrs, using post oak for smoke, and spritzing with a bourbon/ACV mix every hour or so.  I reduced the leftover marinade and used it as a sauce for the last 15 min or so:

Pulled Sliced and plated:

These were damn good.  The flavor is perfect for beef.  This is about as easy as it gets and not your typical set of ribs.  I highly recommend these.

Those of you paying attention may have noticed that I said Otto participated in this cook. Well last night when I was trimming up the ribs, there were a few scraps left like this:

Otto helped clean those scraps up, if you know what I mean.  He’s still looking at me for more.  

Entry 5:

Stormbringer said:
Cooked for the team at work last week, alder smoked brisket chilli 

and Peruvian baby back ribs (using Dizzy Pig Peruvian-ish rub) … 12 in the large Egg!

Entry 6:

Stormbringer said:
@Canugghead as requested … poutine served with duck breast seared and roasted in the MMX. Served with Bread and Butter Pinot Noir. 

Entry 7:

lkapigian said:
Recovering from a cookoff yesterday, cooking for a Pub today 
Entry 7:
Entry 8:

Botch said:
I normally don't do contests, but "International BBQ" gave me a chance to purchase a new cooking toy that's been sitting in my amazoid cart for over a year.  It's a domed, korean barbeque that can be used on a grill, stovetop or over a small burner on the table (which made me think it'd be fun to use with a small party of 2-4 people).  I don't know what its official name is, but amazoid had korean, chinese, japanese and even mongolian models for sale, so I don't know if Ikenaga, Yakiniku, Iwatani, etc are what they're called in different languages, or brand names, or what.

The model I bought has two parts; the top is to grill on, grease/juices flow down, thru the slots, and into the bottom pan which is filled with water (this one you could use tabletop as the water prevents the fat from burning.  
However, this caused a problem.  I let the Egg and grill get up to 400º (checked with an IR thermometer) but when I poured in the water everything cooled down; more on this later.

I made korean Kalbi (also spelled "Galbi", sez Gumbi, dammit).  Made a marinade with a thumb of ginger, some garlic cloves, whites of a bunch of green onions, turbinado sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, shao-xing wine, an asian pear (supposedly tenderizes the meat) and a few drops of toasted sesame oil.  All zipped up in a blender, then poured over flanken-cut beef ribs overnight.  Wiped the marinade off and onto the grill:

Rather than a sharp sizzle from 400º CI, I got wimpy, frog-fart steaming from a 212º aluminum plate.  As I mentioned this model would be good for tabletop use, but a single-piece design made of CI would work better on the grill.  
After flipping them twice I realized they were almost cooked thru, but no grill marks/crispiness.  I gently slid the thing to one side (remember it had water in it) and finished the slices on the grates, to get some marks:

Sliced into two-bite finger food (I like flanken-cut for this, with lotsa napkins), garnished with toasted sesame seeds and scallion tops, served with rice and a side of kimchee:

Easily the tenderest beef ribs I've had, I gotta remember that asian pear trick (I guess kiwifruit do the same thing, and easier to find).  Cooking them hotter/faster would've rendered more fat and given a better texture; I've got half the ribs drained and wrapped in the frig, will grill them direct tomorrow and see how they come out.  

So, that grill-pan was kind've a bust, I could buy the single-piece CI model but doubt that'll buy me anything that my CI griddle, or grate, can't do.  Thanks for looking.    

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

Comments