Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some inspiration/ideas

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,926
Hello,

it’s been a while since I have posted.   Have not used the egg as much but made some ribs and burgers the past few cooks.    

Looking for some good ideas on what to make today.   The supermarkets around me are subpar and mostly select or choice meat. Meaning steaks taste like crap.  If I had a large freezer I would order online but that is a different story).

Looking at 3-5 hour cook max.  Any ideas on what I can make to get me back into egging?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,151
    I’d recommend thick pork chops if you can find them.  Lots of recipes here for those.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,506
    Pepper stout beef. Always a hit 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    What about gyros?  Alton Brown has a good recipe that you can prepare and smoke up instead of using the oven. Love doing these with deer meat. 

Instead of forming into a loaf pan, I always just roll them into a log and smoke them with oak. 

Sliced into rounds, little tzatziki, feta and trimmings and you’re good to go. 

• robnybbq
    I should note it would be a smaller cook.  It mainly for me as my family is so picky on what they eat.   I typically hate leftovers as it’s always dried out.   

Garnerville, NY
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,244
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,636
    How about pork tenderloins. They are usually a little more than a pound each. Sliced up they make good tacos.
  • robnybbq
    These all look like good options.   I’ll have to look to order online.   Only pork here is thin pork chops.  Select steaks, some shoe leather they call London broil ( maybe for the dogs),   

Beef ribs would be great but not here. 

Garnerville, NY
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
    Check out the “What are you chefing now” thread. If you can’t find inspiration there……
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    Can you get whole chickens? Always good roasted on top of some veg.

Search Peruvian chicken, or a few recipes for roadside chicken or thai bbq chicken 
    Not a felon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    Sonora Dogs or or Smoked then Seared Burgers , simple, excellent 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • robnybbq
    Got to order ahead of time for next weekend.  Nothing looked appetizing at the store.   Take out again for dinner tonight. 

Garnerville, NY
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    Spatchcock chicken, turkey breast, or green lightning shrimp

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dyal_SC
    You can do a lot with ground meat, packaged sausage and bacon in terms of appetizers. Checkout @NibbleMeThis ‘s website for recipe ideas. Can’t go wrong with turtle eggs, ABT’s, wings, etc. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,593
    BEEF RIBS ... period.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I like to put potatoes or sweet potatoes on just before I shut off the vents. They cook off of the residual heat in the ceramics. A lot can be done with baked potatoes. Baked sweet potatoes taste better mashed than boiled ones. You can choose to wrap them in foil or not, it makes no difference if you aren’t planning to eat the peel. 
    Look up the salsa vault thread , there’s a great grilled pineapple salsa recipe on there, courtesy of our professor of fracture mechanics.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    I like to put potatoes or sweet potatoes on just before I shut off the vents. They cook off of the residual heat in the ceramics. A lot can be done with baked potatoes. Baked sweet potatoes taste better mashed than boiled ones. You can choose to wrap them in foil or not, it makes no difference if you aren’t planning to eat the peel. 
    Look up the salsa vault thread , there’s a great grilled pineapple salsa recipe on there, courtesy of our professor of fracture mechanics.
    Sounds like a fake title. Just kidding, kinda. I’m not that smart, so it sounds made up. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Gulfcoastguy
    Sounds like a fake title. Just kidding, kinda. I’m not that smart, so it sounds made up. 
    Just poking the bear a bit.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    What is your family willing to eat?   Maybe you could grill/smoke something and repurpose leftovers to something they would consume?    
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColtsFan said:
    Pepper stout beef. Always a hit 

Exactly what came to mind for me. A fun, delicious meal. 
  • robnybbq
    What is your family willing to eat?   Maybe you could grill/smoke something and repurpose leftovers to something they would consume?    
    Great question.   Not much anymore.  Wife eats very little and forget trying anything new.  Kids are rarely home.

Steak is good if I could find a butcher.  

I hate chicken as it tastes like cardboard with seasoning on it.  Unless it’s buried in tomato sauce and cheese.

supermarket does not have beef ribs.

did pork ribs the last few cooks and they were ok. 

Not a fan of the pepper stout beef - made in once and it was ok, but not worthy of a repeat.  

A good chili in the fall but not when it’s 90 out.  

The green lightning shrimp is good but I am the only one that will eat it, and making all that for 6 pieces of shrimp?   Does not reheat well. 

I like seafood, not a fan of cooking it as never comes out good.  Same with steaks.  They come out ok, not like a steakhouse.  

I used to like to cook more on the egg, used to make spatchcock chickens, different steaks, lasagna, pork butts, briskets, ribs, chili.  Now when I try it never comes out good or bland. 

We have been eating out way too much and had enough with burgers, pasta, Chinese, Mexican (enchiladas, tacos).  Become a bad habit. 

And since it’s mainly for me, I think it’s not worth lighting for a single meal for me and end up out.  Not a good thing. 

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,598
    Online beef ordering is your salvage.  Snake River Farms, Sakura farms, Creekstone, Porter Road, Oak Barn and others I'm sure.  You can find any cut you want and some you will experiment with and enjoy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    lousubcap said:
    Online beef ordering is your salvage.  Snake River Farms, Sakura farms, Creekstone, Porter Road, Oak Barn and others I'm sure.  You can find any cut you want and some you will experiment with and enjoy.  FWIW-
    Yes, will have to do that.  Gets expensive for a small order (don’t have a big freezer) but much better selection.

Garnerville, NY
  • Dyal_SC
    Sounds like you’re disappointed in the meat selection or it’s become boring. From the list of your likes, sounds like you like bold flavors.  Fresh salsas will jazz up your proteins and they’re fun to grill as well. If your wife is picky, she doesn’t have to partake. More for you… just get yourself a bag of chips for later. 

Check out Cen Tex’s Salsa Vault:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1223890/centex-s-salsa-vault-post-yours-here-too-if-ya-want/p1

I’ve posted some stuff there as well that I used the egg for. Grilled salsa verde, fire roasted salsa chipotle, mesquite grilled salsa, etc. 

Great for tuna steaks, mediocre steaks, mundane chicken, etc. 

• robnybbq
    Also does anyone cook frozen food directly on the egg without thawing?   Usually time is a issue and don’t have time to prepare in advance?

Garnerville, NY
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I brought 3 recipes from my old medium Egg days back up to the top. Just look up.
  • robnybbq
    I brought 3 recipes from my old medium Egg days back up to the top. Just look up.
    I saw the pork tenderloins, and potatoes.   Can you cook the tenderloins from frozen?  Is there a way to infuse the meat with flavor instead of just the outside rub taste?

Garnerville, NY
  • Dyal_SC
    Good luck, sir! lol 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
    robnybbq said:
    Great question.   Not much anymore.  Wife eats very little and forget trying anything new.  Kids are rarely home.

Steak is good if I could find a butcher.  

I hate chicken as it tastes like cardboard with seasoning on it.  Unless it’s buried in tomato sauce and cheese.

supermarket does not have beef ribs.

did pork ribs the last few cooks and they were ok. 

Not a fan of the pepper stout beef - made in once and it was ok, but not worthy of a repeat.  

A good chili in the fall but not when it’s 90 out.  

The green lightning shrimp is good but I am the only one that will eat it, and making all that for 6 pieces of shrimp?   Does not reheat well. 

I like seafood, not a fan of cooking it as never comes out good.  Same with steaks.  They come out ok, not like a steakhouse.  

I used to like to cook more on the egg, used to make spatchcock chickens, different steaks, lasagna, pork butts, briskets, ribs, chili.  Now when I try it never comes out good or bland. 

We have been eating out way too much and had enough with burgers, pasta, Chinese, Mexican (enchiladas, tacos).  Become a bad habit. 

And since it’s mainly for me, I think it’s not worth lighting for a single meal for me and end up out.  Not a good thing. 
    Sounds like the egg isn’t a good fit for you anymore. 

Maybe buy a gasser since it’s quick. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    robnybbq said:
    I saw the pork tenderloins, and potatoes.   Can you cook the tenderloins from frozen?  Is there a way to infuse the meat with flavor instead of just the outside rub taste?
    You could use a wet rub or marinade and let it sit in the fridge for a half day. Then all you need is to put them on the grill when you get back home. One marinade recipe I brought back up to this forum just read this page for titles with my name. Personally I live a half mile from a grocery store and I just pick up tenderloins within a day of intended use.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    Put some seafood on a cedar plank.  Soak the plank in water first.  It steams the fish and keeps it moist and doesn't cook it so fast that you only have a few second window to pull it and get it right.  Using a plank gives you more margin for error.  When you get bored with that add some butter and lemon - or a sauce or something - or blackening spice. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX