Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Are You Getting Mooned?

Options

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,121
    Options
    It’s cool to observe kids being fascinated by these sort of things, and what seems to be mundane for us, they’re just seeing for the first time. Everything is about 50x as exciting for them.  I think if it’s for any reason to ever travel to an event like this, it’ll be for the family/friend time and not necessarily for the event itself.  Going to a ballgame soon too with my brothers for a bit of a reunion. Looking forward to eating hot dogs and talking with them more than watching the game.  In the same boat with baseball being pretty boring to watch. I’d rather read or watch smoke coming outta my egg, personally, if it’s just me. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I defer to those who have witnessed it. I’ve heard descriptions of an amazing spectacle. Haven’t yet heard anyone say they regretted it or were disappointed. Some people follow it around the globe, at great cost. 

It’s not just a ball blocking the sun. Accounts are that it can be much more spectacular. Brief and sudden onset of darkness in the middle of a sunny day, and an otherwise impossible view of solar filaments emanating from the sun. 

Assuming I get a view (fingers crossed for clear skies), it will be interesting to see whether it is worth the hype. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,770
    edited April 3
    Options
    The parents and grands (5, 3, 1 yo) are rolling north around 65 miles  (Edit about 100 KM's) to view the happening in a "total" window.  With today's tech they will get a photo/video library of the event.  That is a great keepsake for when this next rolls around here in 2044.  Enjoy! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,779
    edited April 3
    Options
    July 22nd, 1992 (I had to look it up). I was a young lad in Alaska and a remember standing outside the elementary school watching the eclipse. They told us to hold our hand up to our face and peak between our fingers. 
    That would have been a partial. The Path of Totality was in the southern hemisphere for that one. They gave us a piece of paper with a small hole in it.
    A total solar eclipse occurred on Sunday, July 22, 1990. A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun, thereby totally or partly obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth. A total solar eclipse occurs when the Moon's apparent diameter is larger than the Sun's, blocking all direct sunlight, turning day into darkness. Totality occurs in a narrow path across Earth's surface, with the partial solar eclipse visible over a surrounding region thousands of kilometres wide. Totality was visible in southern Finland, the Soviet Union(including today's northern Estonia and northern Russia), and eastern Andreanof Islands and Amukta of Alaska.

It apparently was not a total eclipse from where I was at in Alaska but pretty close. Where were you watching it in the southern hemisphere? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 302
    Options
    The last partial eclipse we cooked some stuff and had some Sunkist & Moon Pies to snack on while we waited for the food to get ready
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,187
    Options
    Schools are being closed here for the day and also there are warnings to shut your blinds so your pets don't stare at the sun????
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,538
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Here were the leaf shadows on my sidewalk when it was underway. Had no idea that would be a thing, but it was interesting. 

That's the shadow of the eclipse you last witnessed????
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,121
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Here were the leaf shadows on my sidewalk when it was underway. Had no idea that would be a thing, but it was interesting. 

That's the shadow of the eclipse you last witnessed????
    Yup, that was leading up to it if I recall. The one from 2017. They were the shadows cast by the leaves on the pavement. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,449
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I’m with Fish on this one. Every time you turn around, there’s yet another once in a lifetime event. It gets old. 
    Do you watch the MLB?  :-)  Each team plays 160+ game schedule and in nearly every broadcast (slightly exaggerating) you get to enjoy watching a new record being made.  
    No. I haven’t watched baseball in 30 years. I would literally rather watch paint dry. 
    I like that too!  ;-)
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,155
    Options
    Having seen two eclipses in totality, I'm in agreement with this . . .

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Having seen two eclipses in totality, I'm in agreement with this . . .

It looks like we’re going to have to drive about 10 minutes to get the total. I wouldn’t think 10 minutes would make a big difference but the line has to be somewhere 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,943
    Options
    97 % on the lake. does the eclipse bring the salmon up to the surface or send them deeper........ B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,123
    Options
    As an Austinite I was pretty excited to not have to go anywhere and there are plenty of places I can walk/ MTB to to get a nice wide open viewing.

Realized 2 weeks ago I'll be in OKC... Doh.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 719
    Options
    Brings them up to the surface so they can stare at the sun of course. If you fish under a very large umbrella it would be kind and you'll save a lot of fish eyeballs from getting burned. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    At 97% the salmon aren't even gonna notice.  You need to fish in the totality zone for salmon success.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,943
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    At 97% the salmon aren't even gonna notice.  You need to fish in the totality zone for salmon success.   B)

salmon seem to come up as the sun drops so you may be right.  they also face away from the sun at sun rise which is why trolling from the east towards the west at sunup works better....i also dont like to drive into the sun soooo.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options

I guess there is some big event going on... :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,623
    Options
    CBS just showed a cloud coverage map over the path of totality; there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people.   :|  

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,166
    Options
    Botch said:
    CBS just showed a cloud coverage map over the path of totality; there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people.   :|  
    Local news just reported here in Greensboro nc we’ll need cloud breaks to see our 84%…

:angry:

we had total clouds last eclipse as well. :/
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,394
    Options
    Our weather looks to be clearing up that morning so hopefully it will be clear. The city is deploying several hundred porta-potties in various areas to accommodate the crowds. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 71
    Options
    98% totality here.  Surprisingly today the local weather guy said that 2% short of totality is a huge amount when viewing.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    nealmgb said:
    98% totality here.  Surprisingly today the local weather guy said that 2% short of totality is a huge amount when viewing.
    Read something similar today. Seemed to say the difference was the relative darkness (which I suppose translates into visibility of the corona). 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The difference between 98.5% (where I am) and 100% is quite noticeable.  Thus the power of the sun.  
    The below from @dbCooper is how it goes-
    "Having seen two eclipses in totality, I'm in agreement with this . . .

FWIW-

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    The Ohio National Guard is on standby for the eclipse. 
     This is wild.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 719
    Options
    I asked what the difference was between this and 2017. I was told tik tok
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I guess there is some big event going on... :)
    Feels like there is a logo (or tribute to one) hidden in that pic #GoBills
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,315
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,623
    Options
    Make sure to google "2024 eclipse".  

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,218
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 357
    Options
    Indiana here too.  I'm about 30 minutes north of the path,  so we're getting like 99.8%.  I'm ready to see it and then be done with it.   It's all we're hearing about in the path.