Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Klever Kleever.  More pocket friendly.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Added this to the collection, a Japanese Bayonet.  A Type 30 with a hooked quillon made by Kukura.  In this picture it has the metal scabbard on it.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I need bigger pockets.  1977 Gerber Mark II.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Langner91 said:

Departure from your normal flippers!  I like it.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Langner91 said:

Now that’s an EDC and then some. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Ja wol
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @ozzie_issac. I’ll have to dig up some of the Japanese swords/knives my FIL brought back from his station in Japan at the end of the war.  He fought on Iwo Jima.
    Options
    @nolaegghead - I hope (but doubt) he spoke at least a bit about his experiences.  Having read many books about that campaign from both sides of the fighting I remain very much in awe of all those who where there.  Incredible patriotism and sense of duty across both sides. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    A true unassuming hero right there.  And there are very few of his generation among us.  Thanks @nolaegghead
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks, @lousubcap  he was a beloved character, had the marine buzz until the day he died.  At 6’ 5” he was an imposing figure but the nicest guy you would ever meet.
    Options
    Picked up a new to me pocket knife today.  Nothing fancy, but it was my wife's grandmothers knife. A swiss made Wenger.

Your wife’s grandmother must have had some deep pockets…
    She stored cast iron pans in her pockets too.  Only way to explain how she always had one available to help with attitude adjustments.
    Growing up, I heard stories of my ancestors throwing cast iron pans across kitchens and dining rooms at one another, usually aimed above the neck.

You don’t hear about that sort of thing these days.

We really have lost something as a society.  
    stronger walls...

and people.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    This just arrived.  May need to find a blue egg to match it now.

• TechsasJim
    Options

Shizer, it’s a Kizer (is it?)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Shizer, it’s a Kizer (is it?)
    Yup, Kizer mini-sheepdog.  My second one.  Blue scales called my name.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    My question is HOW do most of you carry your knives you use for your BGE cooking? My granddad always carried a largeish knife in a brown leather case on his belt everyday of his life. I know "pocket knives" were meant for the pocket. But...I carry a very small front pocket wallet and truck keys in the right front pocket. Medium size cell phone in the left front pocket. I currently clip a very small knife to the right front pocket but my hand is always scratched from rubbing past the knife 100 times a day. 

Anyone carry a horizontal belt sheath for their edc BGE knife? Seems this could work although it would be somewhat exposed.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    always carried one in a case on my belt until a few years ago, its legal at work if you use a knife but not in alot of public settings here in massachusetts anymore

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 368
    Options

After literally waiting years to buy this thing (because of price and I am very cheap) I finally pulled the trigger. Buck knife 841 with a marbeled carbon fiber handle. Ordered it yesterday and am now waiting for it to come in before my up north trip.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Mr1egg said:

After literally waiting years to buy this thing (because of price and I am very cheap) I finally pulled the trigger. Buck knife 841 with a marbeled carbon fiber handle. Ordered it yesterday and am now waiting for it to come in before my up north trip.
    That is a gorgeous looking knife!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    My question is HOW do most of you carry your knives you use for your BGE cooking? My granddad always carried a largeish knife in a brown leather case on his belt everyday of his life. I know "pocket knives" were meant for the pocket. But...I carry a very small front pocket wallet and truck keys in the right front pocket. Medium size cell phone in the left front pocket. I currently clip a very small knife to the right front pocket but my hand is always scratched from rubbing past the knife 100 times a day. 

Anyone carry a horizontal belt sheath for their edc BGE knife? Seems this could work although it would be somewhat exposed.
    In my front right pocket.  I only cross draw pistols, not knives.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    always carried one in a case on my belt until a few years ago, its legal at work if you use a knife but not in alot of public settings here in massachusetts anymore

From https://knifeup.com/massachusetts-knife-law/

There is no knife ban in Massachusetts.

Limits on Carry

• It is illegal to carry, open or concealed, switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos, ballistic knife, double edge knives, and knuckle knives.
    • It is illegal to carry anything that is perceived as dangerous while disturbing the peace or being arrested.
    • Folding knives, Swiss army knives, and kitchen knives are legal to carry as long as you do not behave in a way that makes them dangerous.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Limits on Carry

• It is illegal to carry, open or concealed, switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos, ballistic knife, double edge knives, and knuckle knives.
    • It is illegal to carry anything that is perceived as dangerous while disturbing the peace or being arrested.
    • Folding knives, Swiss army knives, and kitchen knives are legal to carry as long as you do not behave in a way that makes them dangerous.

So, I guess you're both right. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ksmyrl said:

Our setups sound identical.   However I don’t go into the right pocket for my keys but a couple times per day and it doesn’t seem to bother me with the deep carry pocket clips.   I’m sure now I’ll focus on it and it will get to me.  Ha
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ksmyrl said:

In my front right pocket.  I only cross draw pistols, not knives.

Agree with that and I don’t cross draw that often but sometimes it makes sense…
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Limits on Carry

lots of town ordinances limit the blade length to 2.5 inches. mid 80's after the national guard arrived to lawrence to stop the spanish (puerto rico and dominican republic)and french canucks from killing each other they enforced blade size in most of my area and its still on the books. mostly the law doesnt enforce this but they can make it an issue. its even an issue getting the one hand opening style knives that are easily flicked open shipped here from some places because of how dumb the law has been written
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with steel type CPM MagnaCut?    Looking at a Pro-Tech (which I've never had either) that could be enticing.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with steel type CPM MagnaCut?    Looking at a Pro-Tech (which I've never had either) that could be enticing.
    I can't help you out with the blade steel but I don't think you can go wrong with anything Pro-Tech. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hmm, that looks intriguing, similar hardness to SV35N, but supposedly much better toughness?  Edge retention like SV90 with more toughness would be pretty neat trick.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Ah crap, thanks for the feedback but never mind.   I hadn’t bothered to check the blade length and it’s only 1.9”.     I already have a Spyderco that’s the same length that I never use so won’t be wasting $ on this one.   

Back to the drawing board for a “want” - but I “need” another pocket knife like I need … well I digress 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Ah crap, thanks for the feedback but never mind.   I hadn’t bothered to check the blade length and it’s only 1.9”.     I already have a Spyderco that’s the same length that I never use so won’t be wasting $ on this one.   

Back to the drawing board for a “want” - but I “need” another pocket knife like I need … well I digress 
    I just ordered a Spyderco Military with M4 steel which I have no experience with but I love the Mili and the handle is a cool color.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.