Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

Options
14567810»

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    @alaskanassasin

ive never had the Military but have had multiple Paramiltary 2.   Never should have traded them.   One of their “sprint runs” was my favorite knife ever.   Hope it treats you well!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @alaskanassasin

ive never had the Military but have had multiple Paramiltary 2.   Never should have traded them.   One of their “sprint runs” was my favorite knife ever.   Hope it treats you well!
    Thanks @TechsasJim, Spyderco military has been my edc for as long as I can remember, honestly i bought the m4 on eBay thinking it was new but after winning I saw it was used… hopefully he took good care of it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    Options
    On a different note does anyone have experience with Coast torches/flashlights/lanterns?    I have always used Streamlight or Surefire but have seen some good feedback on Coast.   Looking more for a lantern style for storm - power loss use.   
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,414
    Options
    Paging @nolaegghead as he has a wealth of knowledge about flashlights although the brand comments escape me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I went down the rabbit hole created by the opening thread that this was created from.  No further comments. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    On a different note does anyone have experience with Coast torches/flashlights/lanterns?    I have always used Streamlight or Surefire but have seen some good feedback on Coast.   Looking more for a lantern style for storm - power loss use.   
    I am not sure this satisfies your needs, but I have a couple of these from Harbor Freight and they are awesome for lighting.  The magnet is strong and they stand on their own well, too.  They do not light 360° like a lantern, but dang, are they bright.  And, they double as a portable power source to charge other devices.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2100-lumen-led-rechargeable-magnetic-compact-floodlight-black-59170.html

I have used them during power outages, under the Jeep, under the Jeep dash, and to light a number of projects.  They are worth having around.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I am not sure this satisfies your needs, but I have a couple of these from Harbor Freight and they are awesome for lighting.  The magnet is strong and they stand on their own well, too.  They do not light 360° like a lantern, but dang, are they bright.  And, they double as a portable power source to charge other devices.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2100-lumen-led-rechargeable-magnetic-compact-floodlight-black-59170.html

I have used them during power outages, under the Jeep, under the Jeep dash, and to light a number of projects.  They are worth having around.
    Good deal, thanks for this.  I just want a couple to have on hand and I have a HF a couple mins from the house.   

Thanks for the advice!
  • Langner91
    Options
    Those are awesome, Teefus.  For the first year, they were called "Silver Eagle" and the bus company took exception, so Gerber changed the name.

I have a few, they are great knives, but I everyone already knows I am a fan of anything Gerber.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Langner91
    Options
    Those are awesome!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @WeberWho - beautiful knives and even sweeter gift.  Better to be lucky than good.  I am finished with the EDC knife hook.  Every day I see my purchase of January 2023 and remind myself-finished!! But worth it! 
    Edit: your initial EDC thread (before getting submerged for who knows why...) and the "Home Wrecker" video did the damage.  Many thanks-
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just me, because only on, but just a few of my 100s of bags of Rockwood I have opened, very few (by very few, I mean twice), have I opened without my knife. If you find one capable of that, and opening bottles of beer, and having a corkscrew, I think you would find your best Big Green Egg knife. 

Opinions only, as in exhibitions, there will be no wagering. (Hacked and stolen from David Letterman) Shred as needed.  
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @WeberWho - great give and take stories with knives and your father.  Lasting memories for sure.  
    I am done buying after last year's rabbit hole trip.   B)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    edited February 10
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho - great give and take stories with knives and your father.  Lasting memories for sure.  
    I am done buying after last year's rabbit hole trip.   B)

I've been holding off on buying the black Elementum 2 above for the last year. I was really hoping they would have had a wooden scales version by this time but I've had no luck waiting on one. They have a wood scale version for the 1st Elementum model but no wood scales for the second generation with the flipper. So I've been pretty good about not pulling the trigger on anything else in the meantime. I'd still would like a "Sunday" knife with some type of wood scales but more of a want than need at this point. Fortunately cheaper knives have come a long way in the last 5 years or so with steel they've developed. It's become a lot more competitive. You can pick up some really nice knives for under $75 nowadays.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota