Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wondering the thread sunk trigger-perhaps just a move to OT??

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

i don’t disagree there at all but the Usps is a failed group.   

Sure there needs to be a system in place for the impoverished, no doubt, but when my mailbox is 99% full of items that literally go in the recycling bin (yet they deliver those on time) and lose 50% of what they should be delivering, something needs to happen.   

My wife is at our Usps station weekly complaining about a lost / missing package.  

With this, when I have the option (so long as it’s not ridiculously priced) I always choose a non-Usps delivery option.   

In this case I got what I paid for—free delivery - which seemingly means no delivery.  

End of rant, sorry for venting.  Just frustrating.    
    I don't disagree with the idea that there's plenty of room for improvement.  I was just pointing out that raising prices to cover their costs may not be a realistic option given the service they provide to the public.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    So sub par service is just now acceptable? No thanks. Anything that has to be there on time is FedEx or UPS. Bills are paid online
    Nobody is saying that.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    @lousubcap

Thanks as always Cap.    I’ll give it a day or two and if it’s still Pigs In Space I’ll launch the grand inquisition.   

I’m with @colbyLang and all my bills are E and paid online.   

In this instance when I clicked “free shipping” I didn’t know who the carrier was until the fulfillment email was generated.   It was at that time when I had my “oh no” moment.   

Lessons learned…
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina

i don’t disagree there at all but the Usps is a failed group.   

Sure there needs to be a system in place for the impoverished, no doubt, but when my mailbox is 99% full of items that literally go in the recycling bin (yet they deliver those on time) and lose 50% of what they should be delivering, something needs to happen.   

My wife is at our Usps station weekly complaining about a lost / missing package.  

With this, when I have the option (so long as it’s not ridiculously priced) I always choose a non-Usps delivery option.   

In this case I got what I paid for—free delivery - which seemingly means no delivery.  

End of rant, sorry for venting.  Just frustrating.    
    I don't disagree with the idea that there's plenty of room for improvement.  I was just pointing out that raising prices to cover their costs may not be a realistic option given the service they provide to the public.  
    I get that man.   I guess where I’m going is more on the economics/freedom to choose route.   

If Usps raises rates to be perceived in the black who is to say that a private group(s) may not step in, who has better efficiencies, to give consumers a better, cheaper option.  Hell it could be Amazon for all I know, they have worked out about the best logistics / delivery system out there.  

Just spitballing man.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We average a couple packages a day, maybe 25% of them USPS, and we haven’t noticed any systemic issues with USPS package delivery other than it’s susceptible to the same environmental (weather) delays as UPS and FedEx.  Tracking isn’t as good, that’s my main complaint.  We have an awesome mail lady that we are friends with, maybe the problems people see are localized in the last mile.
    Options
    The newest Postmaster General has been cutting costs which have resulted in the cutting of delivery quality. 

IMO - they should charge enough to run in the black.  Also, that ridiculous requirement on pension funding is really a punitive effort to punish, hamstring and maybe even pursue the Shangri-La dream to drive them to go public by some politicians.

way under funded, ive seen the post guy still delivering after 10 pm at camp. guy has no life and still people in town piss about him on 0nline
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah they do have a staffing problem.  Overtime can kill a business vs hiring enough people to do the job or increasing efficiency.
    dang I kinda liked @TechsasJim and now he’s has pissed of the forum libs, and will quickly learn he’s been swimming with sharks.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

My mail lady texted today and asked if she could sign for my package for me and leave it in the mailbox.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    dang I kinda liked @TechsasJim and now he’s has pissed of the forum libs, and will quickly learn he’s been swimming with sharks.
    No, sorry if it looks that way.  I’m just skeptical of the news people read nowadays.  I don’t take anything at face value, doesn’t take long to clear the fog from social media and editorial messaging.
    Options
    Yeah they do have a staffing problem.  Overtime can kill a business vs hiring enough people to do the job or increasing efficiency.

takes the fun outa going postal if your the only one there ;)
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    ^^^^ extremely well-played right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    No, sorry if it looks that way.  I’m just skeptical of the news people read nowadays.  I don’t take anything at face value, doesn’t take long to clear the fog from social media and editorial messaging.
    I didn’t even read 80% of the posts I just know how this ends.  Anyway with the lefties relying on mail in ballots I don’t think Usps is going to improve they have plenty of job security.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Who has he pissed of?  Not me.  Seems to me we had a good back and forth.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I missed the below legislation that made major changes to USPS retirement funding last year.  
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-50-billion-postal-service-relief-bill-2022-03-08/  

@TechsasJim - that really sucks.  I am a bit surprised by their inability to "find it" in their system as as dang near every piece of mail is accounted for whether a tracking number assigned or not.  

Time to roll in with a complaint linked here:
    https://emailus.usps.com 
    I have used the above too many times but always get a quick response from the post master and eventual resolution.  Worth a shot.  
    Since Blade HQ likes to make all their boxes obvious, maybe it "fell off" the truck.

Lego had such as issue with this that they ship in an outer box that has no Lego markings.  Just plain cardboard box.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Who has he pissed off?  Not me.  Seems to me we had a good back and forth.
    We can have a virtual drink this week John.   It’s all good on my end and agree with the above.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,421
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    So sub par service is just now acceptable? No thanks. Anything that has to be there on time is FedEx or UPS. Bills are paid online
    Nobody is saying that.
    But it is. It’s the new norm. The excuses are just piling up. The federal government should get a valuation of the USPS and sell it. Let someone who can run it, buy it and show the government how to do it properly. Doesn’t have to operate at shark tank valuations to prove worth….just be profitable. 

Issue’s always arise in paying for retirement plans/benefits for those 1000’s of employees who have retired. It’s bankrupted 100’s of companies.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Now I’m pissed of.
    I do like my mail lady though.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.
    But it is. It’s the new norm. The excuses are just piling up. The federal government should get a valuation of the USPS and sell it. Let someone who can run it, buy it and show the government how to do it properly. Doesn’t have to operate at shark tank valuations to prove worth….just be profitable. 

Issue’s always arise in paying for retirement plans/benefits for those 1000’s of employees who have retired. It’s bankrupted 100’s of companies.
    I think this notion that the private sector can always run things better is pretty misguided. The private sector is driven first and foremost by the ability to turn a profit.  That’s the incentive.  The public good is a tertiary consideration, if at all.

There are some services that really do make sense for the government to provide to the public, at a base level.  I’m not sure that mail has to be one but it seems like a fairly basic service that’s solidly in the government wheelhouse.  I’m fairly certain that’s the case at most Western countries.

I’m not saying the USPS is perfect.  Far from it.  I just don’t see selling it off as being the appropriate thing to do.  It probably should just be subsidized or something as it ramps down and transitions away from a time where so much business was conducted via mail to where we are now, where much has been replaced by online services.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,421
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

I think this notion that the private sector can always run things better is pretty misguided. The private sector is driven first and foremost by the ability to turn a profit.  That’s the incentive.  The public good is a tertiary consideration, if at all.

There are some services that really do make sense for the government to provide to the public, at a base level.  I’m not sure that mail has to be one but it seems like a fairly basic service that’s solidly in the government wheelhouse.  I’m fairly certain that’s the case at most Western countries.

I’m not saying the USPS is perfect.  Far from it.  I just don’t see selling it off as being the appropriate thing to do.  It probably should just be subsidized or something as it ramps down and transitions away from a time where so much business was conducted via mail to where we are now, where much has been replaced by online services.
    It’s like every other business in this world……gotta pivot or become dead in the water. How many restaurants folded during Covid cus of no take out/delivery service? The good ones pivoted. Menus adapted. They hit the grind to survive. USPS has not gotten better, only worse.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

John,

You are correct about the private sector, however for them to make a profit they have to succeed, if not they go away.

So for them to succeed they have to deliver (literally in this case) or else consumers cease to use them.

I use USPS as little as absolutely possible -- because they are a misnomer---they do not deliver.

Remember when their saying was "rain, wet, cold, snow"?   Well if it's misting, or cold or hot I don't see a carrier.

When my wife goes to our USPS station weekly (which she does) to complain about a missed package she comes home frustrated---every single time.   The folks that work there treat her like crap and tell her she needs to track down the carrier.    Soooo as a stay at home mom she can no longer stay at home and drive around all day hoping to encounter our carrier?   Horseshit.

Anyway, just random observations and thoughts.    I don't really care other than when we have no option but to use them.

As you said earlier, and I agree, there's likely no easy solution (I'm paraphrasing)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

It’s like every other business in this world……gotta pivot or become dead in the water. How many restaurants folded during Covid cus of no take out/delivery service? The good ones pivoted. Menus adapted. They hit the grind to survive. USPS has not gotten better, only worse.
    Yeah I just don’t equate government services with private business.  We don’t have private fire departments and whatnot for a good reason.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    They could just delete the junk mail or charge them full price for that. Does anyone even read that anymore  with the web.....I mean bge forum. I don't need anything from we buy ugly houses. It's already right there on the telephone pole 
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

John,

You are correct about the private sector, however for them to make a profit they have to succeed, if not they go away.

So for them to succeed they have to deliver (literally in this case) or else consumers cease to use them.

I use USPS as little as absolutely possible -- because they are a misnomer---they do not deliver.

Remember when their saying was "rain, wet, cold, snow"?   Well if it's misting, or cold or hot I don't see a carrier.

When my wife goes to our USPS station weekly (which she does) to complain about a missed package she comes home frustrated---every single time.   The folks that work there treat her like crap and tell her she needs to track down the carrier.    Soooo as a stay at home mom she can no longer stay at home and drive around all day hoping to encounter our carrier?   Horseshit.

Anyway, just random observations and thoughts.    I don't really care other than when we have no option but to use them.

As you said earlier, and I agree, there's likely no easy solution (I'm paraphrasing)
    Well, everyone has their own experiences.  For me, things delivered to me by them haven’t gotten lost and nothing I’ve shipped with them has gotten lost.  On occasion it has taken longer than it should but that’s never bothered me too much.

I guess my view is that a government postal service should be reliable and relatively cheap, but perhaps not terribly fast.  Then if you want something to get someplace fast you go the private route.  It seems to me this is the way it works in just about every other advanced nation, and I don’t see what’s so special about the US that we can’t manage to get to the same place.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    And @TechsasJim just to be clear I’m in no way discounting your wife’s experiences.  I don’t think that’s acceptable at all and I’m sorry to hear that’s what she’s found with them.  
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

John,

Well, everyone has their own experiences.  For me, things delivered to me by them haven’t gotten lost and nothing I’ve shipped with them has gotten lost.  On occasion it has taken longer than it should but that’s never bothered me too much.

I guess my view is that a government postal service should be reliable and relatively cheap, but perhaps not terribly fast.  Then if you want something to get someplace fast you go the private route.  It seems to me this is the way it works in just about every other advanced nation, and I don’t see what’s so special about the US that we can’t manage to get to the same place.  
    John, I get that take and do not disagree at all with your macro view. 

We just have bad experiences here I guess.   My neighbor runs an eBay business and is always complaining about this or that.    Then you've heard our stories.

In any case, no biggie, it is what it is, I just know our USPS service absolutely sucks hind tit and my recent purchase further emphasizes my thoughts on them.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @TechsasJim I get it.  Like anything else I’m sure some offices are a lot better than others.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Now I’m pissed of.
    I do like my mail lady though.
    Yeah we like ours too.  Stops to talk to us or the kiddos all the time.  
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

Yeah I just don’t equate government services with private business.  We don’t have private fire departments and whatnot for a good reason.
    Why don't we have private fire departments? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    edited February 2023
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Nobody is saying that.

Why don't we have private fire departments? 
    We actually do have some down here from what I understand but tha’ts an HOA bill I’d never want to see