Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wondering the thread sunk trigger-perhaps just a move to OT??

Options
1235»

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman - I am the reverse sear of your usps experience.  On a random basis our mail ends up in the neighbour (nod) on the next block over (their lot backs up to my street) as they have the same house number.  New owners and the surrogate mail delivery responsibilities did not transfer.  Hopefully fixed now.
    However this issue did not arise for the first 17 years we lived here.  Now it is random and the driver/delivery training program has some weaknesses.  
    Filing the occasional on-line complaint does generate immediate response.  FWIW-
    Cap we have the exact same issue.   Prior owner was great (our street # but diff street name--yet similar) and we had reciprocity.    New owners seem to be shut-ins and who knows what happens with our mail but I still deliver theirs to them (well their porch).    Kinda reminds me of the movie "The Burbs"...I've never seen them...ever
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Legume said:
    You can sign up with USPS and see images of all the mail slated to go to your address, FWIW
    We have this, it's great, but the local USPS are so shorthanded we have days without delivery and days with delivery at 7pm. I may see it 2 days before it arrives, but at least I know it's coming. I feel bad for them, they should cut delivery to 4-5 days/week except for express deliveries.  If anyone is sending time sensitive, critical stuff my first class at this point, that's a mistake.

Have it here.  That's how I know the mail has been diverted to the other house.  Definitely a great service.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    There are well run organizations and there are poorly run organizations. Whether they are publicly owned or privately owned is usually of little real world relevance.
    I rarely disagree with you, but here I must.  
    Publicly-owned (I assume you mean gov't here) are both well-, and poorly-run, and individuals within them can be well-meaning, or not.
    Some privately-owned (I assume you mean for-profit here) are run both ways too, but once any family-run business goes public (and now I'm getting confused as to what you meant), it seems the shareholders are now the Ones To Be Served, and not the paying customers.  

Oof-dah.  Did you mean "public vs private" as govt vs for-profit, or as private vs publicly-traded?    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Botch, it boils down to this:   Public (govt) Private (owned or shared ownership -stocks). 

Regardless, groups have to perform.  In an economy such as ours the consumer has the ultimate right to choose, thus pay monies for goods/ service.  

Yes, USPS is heavily subsidized by the Gov’t yet we still pay.   At last check we are, or about, .60$ for a simple basic envelope. 

Bottom line, if the consumer does not trust or believe in the service they received/paid for they are less likely to use that service again.   If this persists the consumer will seek an alternate mean for a similar/comparable service.   

Thus I do not trust/use USPS.    Meanwhile they deliver heaps of garbage to my mailbox every day that goes directly to the recycling bin.   

This to me is hypocriticalt, the group that burns the most fuel in our country is the Usps and they also distribute the most garbage.  

Govt efficiencies at play.    

Or you could pull a Biden and sit in an $85k electric vehicle (Hummer) and extol the virtues of tax rebates—when 90% of Americans cannot afford (nor would receive a tax break) for such a vehicle 

end of my govt rant 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My carrier's name is Kevin.  He's the 3rd carrier assigned to the route I'm on in 3+ years, but they've all been nice and conscientious. It's the subs that work their off days that suck.  I can tell when it's a sub day because after 3+ years in this house, I still get mail addressed to the former owner from lawyers, various franchise state tax boards, other stuff like that.  I always see it coming in the email with the scanned pieces of mail, but when it actually gets delivered to the mailbox...that's a sub running the route.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch, it boils down to this:   Public (govt) Private (owned or shared ownership -stocks). 

Regardless, groups have to perform.  In an economy such as ours the consumer has the ultimate right to choose, thus pay monies for goods/ service.  

Yes, USPS is heavily subsidized by the Gov’t yet we still pay.   At last check we are, or about, .60$ for a simple basic envelope. 

Bottom line, if the consumer does not trust or believe in the service they received/paid for they are less likely to use that service again.   If this persists the consumer will seek an alternate mean for a similar/comparable service.   

Thus I do not trust/use USPS.    Meanwhile they deliver heaps of garbage to my mailbox every day that goes directly to the recycling bin.   

This to me is hypocriticalt, the group that burns the most fuel in our country is the Usps and they also distribute the most garbage.  

Or you could pull a Biden and sit in an $85k electric vehicle (Hummer) and extol the virtues of tax rebates—when 90% of Americans cannot afford (nor would receive a tax break) for such a vehicle 

end of my govt rant 
    Aren’t all the heaps of garbage sent by businesses?  Btw - they are replacing their fleet with electric vehicles where possible, as are businesses everywhere.   What would the perceived advantages of privatizing be except prices would increase and there being no monetary impetus to service remote locations, unless it’s a monopolistic entity, there can be competition, which would be inefficient if you get even more deliveries for mail.  Expect FedEx and UPS to raise prices from having to travel the last mile, and ordinary mail to be metered and more complex because that’s what it takes to be profitable.  Companies like to make 10-20% net, are the decreases in cost enough to do that without raising prices, and if that’s the case, why doesn’t the post office do that?  All this boils down to - things are more complicated than the pundits draw them.

there is nothing stopping UPS and Fed Ex to distribute mail, In fact they do.  For about 20 times the cost.
    edited February 2023
    Options
    People outside of cities would be f*cked, like they would if the government didn’t step in with legislation to force companies to provide services (utilities, communications) and forcing the subsidies you see on those bills right now.  Look at your phone bill, for example.
    Options
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:
    There are well run organizations and there are poorly run organizations. Whether they are publicly owned or privately owned is usually of little real world relevance.
    I rarely disagree with you, but here I must.  
    Publicly-owned (I assume you mean gov't here) are both well-, and poorly-run, and individuals within them can be well-meaning, or not.
    Some privately-owned (I assume you mean for-profit here) are run both ways too, but once any family-run business goes public (and now I'm getting confused as to what you meant), it seems the shareholders are now the Ones To Be Served, and not the paying customers.  

Oof-dah.  Did you mean "public vs private" as govt vs for-profit, or as private vs publicly-traded?    

What I meant, and must not have articulated well, is public agencies/organizations (aka government) and private agencies (whether they are privately owned or are publicly traded organizations beholden to shareholders). Basically government vs. private.

Any org. can be well run or poorly run regardless of where their funding comes from.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

And just who is paying the USPS to deliver all the "heaps of garbage"  that you just throw right into the recycling bin?

Seems to me a well run private business would know better than to waste all that money sending stuff they know is just going to be tossed into the bin.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    the fixed the massachusetts DMV years ago. if they could do that then the post office should be easy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options

end of my govt rant 
    Aren’t all the heaps of garbage sent by businesses?  Btw - they are replacing their fleet with electric vehicles where possible, as are businesses everywhere.   What would the perceived advantages of privatizing be except prices would increase and there being no monetary impetus to service remote locations, unless it’s a monopolistic entity, there can be competition, which would be inefficient if you get even more deliveries for mail.  Expect FedEx and UPS to raise prices from having to travel the last mile, and ordinary mail to be metered and more complex because that’s what it takes to be profitable.  Companies like to make 10-20% net, are the decreases in cost enough to do that without raising prices, and if that’s the case, why doesn’t the post office do that?  All this boils down to - things are more complicated than the pundits draw them.

there is nothing stopping UPS and Fed Ex to distribute mail, In fact they do.  For about 20 times the cost.

the gas drives are as slow as the ponies, will electric be even slower for the post office. seems to take two plus weeks to send a check thru the post office from texas to boston
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options

end of my govt rant 

the gas drives are as slow as the ponies, will electric be even slower for the post office. seems to take two plus weeks to send a check thru the post office from texas to boston
    Our deliveries are 5-7 business days for in-town.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options

end of my govt rant 

Our deliveries are 5-7 business days for in-town.

ive had items shipped from china thru the usps and its quicker than having it sent from another state  thru usps at times. if you track it the mail leaves the carolinas, heads to chicago, then to connecticut, up to boston, then to tewksbury MA then to the city of lawrence where my town goes to pick it up to deliver it. the china route skips most of that
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I ordered a few things from a company that's 1.5 miles from me.  Can't pick it up because they don't have a storefront or people employed to deal with it.  I placed two orders 10 minutes apart because I decided to add a few things.  One shipped yesterday via FedEx and is reportedly out for delivery today.  The other hasn't shipped yet, but both are going from the warehouse to FedEx 7 miles away and then back to me.  I know money could be saved in this scenario, but it would probably cost more to figure that out than they would save.

I have no point really, just more mail stuff today and wanted to boost my post count without cooking anything.  I had toast this morning. No pics.