Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Biggest Loser

Options
1434445464749»

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,909
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @lousubcap - Do you think July 11 sentencing by Judge Merchan may be at play with the extension by the Supreme Court
    What’s your thinking there, given that Merchan’s is a state case?
    @JohnInCarolina - I think the Supreme Court is trying to delay the immunity garbage to help DJT for as long as it can.  My personal feeling is the court will fail to decide the issue despite extending it‘s term. Immunity for a sitting President was protection from strings of frivolous civil suits that would interfere with the President’s ability to do the job. That distinction should have been codified after Nixon but there was no political will to take that on.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,274
    Options
    State courts are subject to reversal by federal courts. SCOTUS tends not to act until lower federal courts have ruled though.
    I don’t think this typically applies to criminal cases.  Matters of state law are a very different story.

There is one federal connection that was part of this case, however, that would likely form the basis of a Trump appeal at the federal level.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,274
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    @lousubcap - Do you think July 11 sentencing by Judge Merchan may be at play with the extension by the Supreme Court
    What’s your thinking there, given that Merchan’s is a state case?
    @JohnInCarolina - I think the Supreme Court is trying to delay the immunity garbage to help DJT for as long as it can.  My personal feeling is the court will fail to decide the issue despite extending it‘s term. Immunity for a sitting President was protection from strings of frivolous civil suits that would interfere with the President’s ability to do the job. That distinction should have been codified after Nixon but there was no political will to take that on.
    I hear you, thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure how true this is, but I recently heard someone say that there is basically no timeline tied to a dissent.  So if a single judge wants to hold up a decision in the form of writing some part of a dissent, they can do it for as long as they want.  

You'd like to think that at some point shame would kick in but with guys like Thomas maybe not.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,853
    Options
    Toss Alito in with Thomas.  Sad state of affairs.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,853
    Options
    ^^^^ no issues with the above article.  Problem is the R's had a chance to close the impeachment deal twice which would have precluded CHEETO from running for office again.  The ambition of the "once in power, stay in power" fuel has driven and continues to drive the gut instincts of politicians.  Thus we are where we are.  And where we are is on the downslope with the bottom not in sight.
    Lowest common denominator shapes the agenda and that just feeds the spiral.  
    Unless enough pols put country before self the likelihood of this behaviour (nod) changing for the better is not gonna happen.  Off mini-soap box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.