Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear-Caveman finish, a whole lot of fun with fire- give it a go-

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,349
edited July 2022 in EggHead Forum
A 2.1 lb high choice dry-aged bone in rib eye from Porter Road. 250*F+/- on the dome to around 115*F  (about 35-40 minutes). Then the action-

Shut bottom vent and opened the dome  but then closing the dome and going full throttle (both vents open) demonstrating to new members this rig can get hot and a pic-

Things happen fast at that temp, out of the inferno-

But with long tongs and a few singed arm hairs, The $$ shot-

Definitely the way to finish a steak.  
Thanks for lookin-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Whoa
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Boom!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    To be clear, you went "caveman" with bottom vent closed and dome open.  The temp demo was done with dome closed and all vents wide open?
    Great looking steak!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @dbCooper - Correct.  I run caveman with the bottom vent shut and dome wide open, to get the fire rolling across the entire lava bed, like I do for a paella cook.
    However, there was a recent post by a new member wondering about how to crank up the heat, so I took the teaching moment to change up the air (02) feeder supply to the "standard approach."  
    I will post the explanation and pic on that thread-thanks for the prompt.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks incredible. A good reminder that I (still!) have to try this. 

When can we expect to see you finish your brisket this way?
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Nailed it! Great looking steak right there and bonus points for the $$ shot. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Frank-nice fire management! And great pics.
  • golfguyjosh
    golfguyjosh Posts: 196
    Options
    I should of finished my cowboy ribeye last night caveman style. Guess I will come out of retirement
    Jacksonville, FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Fantastic and that money shot is the bomb!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Stupid question, steak doesn’t get covered in ash? 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Colbylang - Ash and the lump do not stick to the steak.  The high temperature does the trick.  Occasionally a piece of lump may stick but it is easily brushed off.  Time to jump in...
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

How long did you leave the beast on the coals?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lousubcap

My wife will basically only eat filet mignon as far as steak. Would that work? Or would the meat dry out considering the relatively low fat content?
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    edited July 2022
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Holy smokes ... here I am starving myself for an all-you-can-eat dinner tonight ... and I have to look at these photos! This is pure torture!! Torture I tell you!!!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2022
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

How long did you leave the beast on the coals?
    I aim for around a minute per side.  The degree of the doneness is determined by the finish temp when I stop the low temp part of the cook.  The caveman gets the great crust. 
    Edit: You will likely see a few degrees of carry-over finish temp when forming the crust.  The amount of which is associated with the steak thickness.  
    For a thin steak I will skip the reverse sear piece and just toss on the lump.  In that case I flip a few times relying on my quick read thermo to gauge when it's finished.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - I have never gone with filet mignon.  However, all the caveman does is create the crust so if you bring it to the desired internal temp and then toss it in the fire, it should work.  
    You just may want to caveman a ribeye (my favourite cut) and suggest she try it to get a sense of the crust it creates before going down the filet road.  
    I'm not on a caveman crusade but think the method is worth a go, at least once.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - I have never gone with filet mignon.  However, all the caveman does is create the crust so if you bring it to the desired internal temp and then toss it in the fire, it should work.  
    You just may want to caveman a ribeye (my favourite cut) and suggest she try it to get a sense of the crust it creates before going down the filet road.  
    I'm not on a caveman crusade but think the method is worth a go, at least once.  
    Hard to have her agree to a ribeye, even though they’re one of my faves. It’s filet all the way for that girl! Thanks for the insight. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Not even a taste?? Too young to be that hard-over with beef  😁🥩.  
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Flavor of a rib eye absolutely destroys filet (tenderloin).
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    wait...you put the steak directly on the coals? Hmmm...that's interesting. It does look absolutely awesome. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnfromKentucky - you are right-that move is the true beauty of the caveman finish.  If you want a steakhouse crust then the caveman will deliver. 
    Read all the above regarding the approach, (he!! Dwight Eisenhower was a fan linked here-https://www.cooksinfo.com/eisenhower-steak)  
    Worth at least a one off.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    I really wanted to leave a smartass comment.  Something a little rude and a little funny.  But, Dayum sun, that is gawjus.  Absolutely a stunner.  Well done!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I feel like I dodged a bullet right there.  At least it is Friday Eve.  
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I really wanted to leave a smartass comment.  Something a little rude and a little funny.  But, Dayum sun, that is gawjus.  Absolutely a stunner.  Well done!

I'll leave a smart a$$ comment..

I know .. at the end of the cook ... you got it crusty from the very flames of the devil's a$$. Then you put it on a cutting board that looks like it has a cool bunghole. Just so I get the process right, it goes on the the hot devil's a$$ to cook and then right on a cool wooden bunghole to rest?

Asking for a friend 🙂
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations, I have cavemanned (it's a verb too) many filets over the years as my wife also prefers them.  They come out great.  She will tell you that the best steak I have ever cooked was a caveman filet.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That steak looks phenomenal!
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Bow to bow to the master! I learn so much from this man, and remain very appreciative for it.
    my first effort was a panic filled event ending with less than optimal results. My ensuing experiments performed exponentially better.

Thank you, as always for the tutorial. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - Way to buck up and have at it.  Great looking cook and banquet plate right there.  Gotta love the $$ shot-
    I'm sure the flavour (nod) profile was sufficient to earn another go especially with the kid's endorsement.  
    Well played.  

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va