Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roe v Wade Overturned

Options

Comments

• HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    A very stable genius

Is that a Super Sized @DMW?
    Memphis, TN
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    President Biden has endorsed making an exception to filibuster rules to pass legislation codifying Roe v. Wade into law. “The most important thing to be clear about is we have to codify Roe v. Wade into law and the way to do that is to make sure Congress votes to do that,” Biden told reporters. “And if the filibuster gets in the way, it’s like voting rights, it should be provided an exception for this…to the filibuster,” he said. The filibuster could be changed with a simple majority vote, but not all Democrats in the 50-50 Senate are on board with such a move, saying it would fundamentally change the nature of the Senate and could backfire if the Republican Party takes control of the chamber. Andrew Restuccia and Ken Thomas report for the Wall Street Journal.

Yup, Constitution be damned!
    Memphis, TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    lousubcap said:
    President Biden has endorsed making an exception to filibuster rules to pass legislation codifying Roe v. Wade into law. “The most important thing to be clear about is we have to codify Roe v. Wade into law and the way to do that is to make sure Congress votes to do that,” Biden told reporters. “And if the filibuster gets in the way, it’s like voting rights, it should be provided an exception for this…to the filibuster,” he said. The filibuster could be changed with a simple majority vote, but not all Democrats in the 50-50 Senate are on board with such a move, saying it would fundamentally change the nature of the Senate and could backfire if the Republican Party takes control of the chamber. Andrew Restuccia and Ken Thomas report for the Wall Street Journal.

Please show me where the filibuster is mentioned in the US Constitution.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HighHeat said:
    lousubcap said:

It’s not.  Sometimes questions and statements can be intentionally misleading.  @highheat did you ask your boyfriend if the filibuster was in the constitution?
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HighHeat said:
    lousubcap said:

It’s not.  Sometimes questions and statements can be intentionally misleading.  @highheat did you ask your boyfriend if the filibuster was in the constitution?
    Your new sig line just made me spit coffee out of my nose.

Except, I'm not drinking coffee, but you get the gist.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HighHeat said:
    lousubcap said:

I know. I was just hoping they would spend an afternoon using their favorite search engine trying to find it. I'm childish that way. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    I have concluded that the fact that religion owns the top shelf place on the third rail is merited.  Anything else is at least an order of magnitude lower.  
    Clearly all the proselytizers in one camp cannot fathom how there are non-believers of their chosen one and embrace another chosen one.  
    This has been going on for centuries.  Today and beyond's civilization doesn't stand a chance of sorting/solving this fundamental issue.  
    Wish there was a way ahead short of the modern day Crusades.  
    Rambling on a Friday night.  Needed to vent a bit-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options

From a comment on Reddit about this exact photo:

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

I guess it boils down to whether or not you’d prefer to be poor and free or poor and oppressed.  Seems to be an easy call to me.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Man what a buzz kill.  Thanks for ruining my post…and the forum
    edited July 2022
    Options

I guess it boils down to whether or not you’d prefer to be poor and free or poor and oppressed.  Seems to be an easy call to me.
    I choose wealthy.  Then it doesn't matter what the government is like.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

I choose wealthy.  Then it doesn't matter what the government is like.

Roman Abramovich has entered the chat. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That’s just great.  Whatever happens, I’m sure that’s (by definition) His/Her will and the subsequent determinism.  A side effect of omniscience is micromanagement, I guess.
    Options
    Interesting piece by David Frum in the Atlantic, comparing the abortion ruling to prohibition:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/06/abortion-roe-prolife-movement-prohibition/661402/

I’m not sure I agree with his forecast for how this is likely to play out, but I did find this quote from Mencken interesting:

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    A good read.  Only history will tell the story.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    Options
    -1 Republican too. A bit late to the show, just hopefully not too late.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I'm seeing more articles lately about how Hillary is what the Dems need to win  in 2024 since Biden is likely toast and nobody seems to like Harris.
    I know some folks here voted for Trump mainly cuz they couldn't stand Hillary.
    If Hillary were to run in '24 would you still not vote for her or would you still vote for the GOP/Trump cult (whether Trump is the candidate or not)?

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I would still not vote for her. Heck Bill thinks she is crazy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm seeing more articles lately about how Hillary is what the Dems need to win  in 2024 since Biden is likely toast and nobody seems to like Harris.

I’d like to see a few of those articles.  To me this argument seems half-baked at best.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Oh Jeez, let’s not go back in time, we already played that song.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I’d like to see a few of those articles.  To me this argument seems half-baked at best.

Here's one I just saw this morning:
    As mentioned in the first paragraph they wrote a similar piece for the WSJ a few months ago.

Another from a week ago:
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/politics/hillary-clinton-2024/index.html

I've read a few more in the last few months and some about how Hillary has been disappointed that Biden has not asked for her opinions/advice. Other friends/colleagues have said that she wants to again at least be part of "the conversation".
    Hillary has said she won't run in 2024 and has already endorsed Biden - should he decide to run again.
    I have no idea if she would ever run for prez again, or if she did if that would actually be a disastrous event for the Dems. Really just curious about the hypothetical.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Here's one I just saw this morning:
    As mentioned in the first paragraph they wrote a similar piece for the WSJ a few months ago.

Gee, let’s see who wrote this gem:

I, for one, am shocked - SHOCKED I tell you - that a former campaign consultant/adviser for Hillary is advocating for her to run again.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I did have a good laugh at the suggestion that Hillary would be a “change candidate”.  I mean… come on.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I know some folks here voted for Trump mainly cuz they couldn't stand Hillary.
    If Hillary were to run in '24 would you still not vote for her or would you still vote for the GOP/Trump cult (whether Trump is the candidate or not)?
    2016 Trump vs. Hillary?  Knowing what I know now, Hillary. (Jan 6th hearings and anti-American value SCOTUS picks)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @Legume said it- absolutely no need for a "do-over." MSM  is putting air time to the "Joe shouldn't run in 2024" so that piece of the deal is already moving forward.  Both parties can come up with better candidates than Hillary or Cheeto, at least I hope so for the sake of all of us.  FWIW-