Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy wings on the XL

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
425°F, 40 minutes, used a sweet Thai chili sauce to toss in. Prepped and refrigerated 24 hours. Did not suck.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks great!! Those are some expensive eats these days
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looks great!! Those are some expensive eats these days
    Thank you for the kind words. I gotta say they were worth it. Our children requested some smoked wings, so I made a bunch. 0 leftovers. A good sign.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    425...direct or indirect?
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ike said:
    425...direct or indirect?
    Indirect. I used baking powder as part of the prep process, and the extra drying out in the fridge worked out pretty well. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great wings right there.  Nailed 'em.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Oh heck yeah.  I'm not surprised there were no leftovers given 1) how good the wings look/sound and 2) how few you cooked.

The XL will hold 72 wings on one level.  Fill it up sometime.

I will be glad to when you visit, bring that chicken wing trophy with you, it will look great in our china cabinet.😎 just kidding, of course, thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great wings right there.  Nailed 'em.  
    It had been a while, and it will not be that long again, I assure you. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lookin' good @YukonRon !

Did you spin them in the sauce after, or before, the egg?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lookin' good @YukonRon !

Did you spin them in the sauce after, or before, the egg?
    After, it was my future DIL’s idea. She is a chicken wing machine. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Agree with @YukonRon regarding when to sauce.  After and then decide whether to toss back on to tighten up the sauce or not.  Most times it's not but the sauce drives the decision.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The toss back that night was a white Pinot Noir My Beautiful Wife found from Oregon. I just dried them out, put on some rub, and stuck them on the egg.

Food, like wine, is always better when shared with friends and family.

Thank you Frank for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Dayum fine looking wings!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:
    Oh heck yeah.  I'm not surprised there were no leftovers given 1) how good the wings look/sound and 2) how few you cooked.

I will be glad to when you visit, bring that chicken wing trophy with you, it will look great in our china cabinet.😎 just kidding, of course, thank you for the kind words.
    That looks like the beginning of an awesome grease fire.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:

That looks like the beginning of an awesome grease fire.

Not if you go triple indirect with a foil boat.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    By comparison, 30 wings on the XXL just look lonely. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:

How many in the xxl? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Daddyshack
    Daddyshack Posts: 179
    Options
    Do you think brining might before makes a difference  if you add baking powder or corn starch to dry rub?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:

How many in the xxl? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    By comparison, 30 wings on the XXL just look lonely. 
    Bigger is better!!!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Do you think brining might before makes a difference  if you add baking powder or corn starch to dry rub?
    I have not brined, but I do add corn starch to the rub. I left them in the fridge sitting on paper towels and covering them with a paper towel on a raised grid in a tray, for about 24-36 hours. They came out perfect, it was the best @Foghorn would ever have. (Joking of course).

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:

How many in the xxl? 
    I haven't loaded it up, but using, you know, math, if I can get 72 on the XL, I should be able to do 105 on the XXL.  Given that I now have a swing rack and that XL rack is the top rack, I'm thinking I can fit 160 on the two levels (accounting for the grate attachment taking up some space).  I just need the right size group dining at my house for that.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have not brined, but I do add corn starch to the rub. I left them in the fridge sitting on paper towels and covering them with a paper towel on a raised grid in a tray, for about 24-36 hours. They came out perfect, it was the best @Foghorn would ever have. (Joking of course).
    I have to confess that since The Gumbo Shop in New Orleans quit selling their rub my wings haven't been as good as they used to be.  Every other Cajun rub I have used has too much salt.  I might have to start making my own rub.

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    I have to confess that since The Gumbo Shop in New Orleans quit selling their rub my wings haven't been as good as they used to be.  Every other Cajun rub I have used has too much salt.  I might have to start making my own rub.
    I would be interested in working with you to build “the spice rub” for wings. I agree, just about all Cajun rubs commercially available is salt and a little bit of something else.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Ron,

This looks pretty legit.  Maybe cut the salt in half...

https://therecipecritic.com/cajun-seasoning/

I'm just spitballing here.

Another option I have to consider is to just use some cornstarch to dry the skin and soak up a little sauce.  The sauce is really the star of my wings.

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Try it out this week with my two biggest critics; my son and his fiancé. Will report back.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Try it out this week with my two biggest critics; my son and his fiancé. Will report back.
    We will be waiting, sir!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Foghorn - I don't recall the outcome of the wang challenge throw-downs (i am quite sure the winners do...) but if you have a winning sauce than that will power thru many hic-cups along the triumphant walk to the winners circle.  
    Nailing the sauce...tasters beware.  First hit you get and drives the voting.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
  • Foghorn
    Options
    My undefeated wing sauce is:

4 parts datil pepper BBQ sauce - purchased from here.

https://www.minorcandatil.com/product/minorcan-datil-barbecue-sauce/

5 parts Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce

6 parts Texas Pete's Buffalo Wing Sauce

https://texaspete.com/shop/buffalo-wing-sauce/

I mix it in a Tupperware bowl and throw the wings in it when they are cooked/crispy.  Then I put them back on the grill for a couple of minutes.

San Antonio, TX