Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Louisville Kentucky

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Wow I did not appreciate the extent to which Louisville had become some sort of US analog to Juarez.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Wow I did not appreciate the extent to which Louisville had become some sort of US analog to Juarez.   
    Any place in the country where the police force has faced criminal charges or has been defunded or things of that ilk, they have receded in their policing efforts which results in an explosion of crime. Most of this crime is in low income areas and only receives attention when it ultimately spills over into the non low income areas. 

Please stop yourself, I certainly am not casting any opinions on the reasons for the policing issues. Just pointing out the ultimate result from the actions. I live in cornfield country and have very little personal concerns about this reaching my sphere, but it’s very easy to recognize from afar. Issues are not as simple as they might appear to many. Juarez is all around the country in these areas that have experienced civil upheaval. Again, I’m not judging but rather observing. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Nice profile pic

canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Crime has spiked locally over the pandemic not as a result of defunding, etc, but because their hands have been tied when it comes to arresting and putting people in jail.  Outbreaks, etc., mean lower capacity allowed in the jail and it seems people that steal things know this.  Cars, catalytic converters, bikes, smash and grabs are all rampant.  Thankfully no violent crime increase.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Any place in the country where the police force has faced criminal charges or has been defunded or things of that ilk, they have receded in their policing efforts which results in an explosion of crime. Most of this crime is in low income areas and only receives attention when it ultimately spills over into the non low income areas. 

Please stop yourself, I certainly am not casting any opinions on the reasons for the policing issues. Just pointing out the ultimate result from the actions. I live in cornfield country and have very little personal concerns about this reaching my sphere, but it’s very easy to recognize from afar. Issues are not as simple as they might appear to many. Juarez is all around the country in these areas that have experienced civil upheaval. Again, I’m not judging but rather observing. 
    I honestly don't know what's more sad here, Pete.  The fact that you're passing off right-wing cable news talking points as your own observations, or that you think nobody will notice:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6245286448001#sp=show-clips
  • pgprescott
    Options

I honestly don't know what's more sad here, Pete.  The fact that you're passing off right-wing cable news talking points as your own observations, or that you think nobody will notice:

Minneapolis, St. Louis, Louisville, Portland, Waukesha, Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Chicago. That’s just the greatest hits.

The sad part is you are either willfully ignorant or just ignorant. The fact you had no idea that Louisville was experiencing a huge spike in violence due to unrest related to Breonna Taylor incident is revealing.

Again, not passing judgement on the merits of any grievances to avoid an argument that cannot possibly be properly debated here. Some incidents are obviously one way, others obviously the other way and some that are very messy and not obvious in any way. 

Just pointing out that the authorities will either consciously or unconsciously pull back in an effort of self preservation. Not all obviously, but to ignore what is simple human behavior is quite frankly ridiculous. 

Similarly, a nurse was prosecuted for a mistake that took place while on duty. I don’t think it’s in question whether this was intended error or simply error. To believe this will not have negative societal consequences is naive at the very least. Same sort of human behavioral issues at play. 

It’s not right wing anything. People of all walks abhor violent crime. Doesn’t matter if they live in a fancy house around Duke or the Southside of Chicago. 

Keep up the good work John. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Minneapolis, St. Louis, Louisville, Portland, Waukesha, Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Chicago. That’s just the greatest hits.

The sad part is you are either willfully ignorant or just ignorant. The fact you had no idea that Louisville was experiencing a huge spike in violence due to unrest related to Breonna Taylor incident is revealing.

Why would I have any idea about crime in Louisville?  Why would anyone who doesn't live there or in the state of Kentucky reasonably hear about crime in Louisville?  You only do because this kind of nonsense is blasted into your living room on a nightly basis.  

Again, not passing judgement on the merits of any grievances to avoid an argument that cannot possibly be properly debated here. Some incidents are obviously one way, others obviously the other way and some that are very messy and not obvious in any way. 

Well if that isn't crystal clear, I don't know what is.  
  • pgprescott
    Options

Why would I have any idea about crime in Louisville?  Why would anyone who doesn't live there or in the state of Kentucky reasonably hear about crime in Louisville?  You only do because this kind of nonsense is blasted into your living room on a nightly basis.  

Well if that isn't crystal clear, I don't know what is.  
    Precisely. It’s not crystal clear on the causal side. It is however crystal clear to any sentient person on the effect side.

I don’t live in Louisville and I was perfectly aware. I guess you think rampant violent crime is nonsense but I’m pretty sure it’s not. I’m pretty sure that people all over that deal with this crap don’t think it’s nonsense. You have a very entitle view from on high. The crime is real and it’s definitely not nonsense. It’s offensive for you to suggest it is nonsense. 

Again, willful ignorance combined with plain old ignorance on your part. 

Now, just return your head to your arse or a pile of sand and continue your blissfully ignorant existence. 

Truth is truth. You can decry the messenger all you want but it doesn’t make any of it less true. 

I’m sorry to have embarrassed you but really you did all the work. Just stop. I was simply commenting and went out of my way to avoid causal judgements. As always you took to the personal level. Much like Lit would do. I’m not sure I’ve seen you guys pictures together. Are you Lit? 😳

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    oh dear, it seems I’ve touched a nerve 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Legume said:
    Crime has spiked locally over the pandemic not as a result of defunding, etc, but because their hands have been tied when it comes to arresting and putting people in jail.  Outbreaks, etc., mean lower capacity allowed in the jail and it seems people that steal things know this.  Cars, catalytic converters, bikes, smash and grabs are all rampant.  Thankfully no violent crime increase.
    We saw the same here in Louisiana. It’s still going on. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I live within a couple hours of lousiville and i do not feel safe driving through it.....I'm sure I feel that way because I am a conservative though. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yeah, but are you Lit????
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We'll be arriving in Louisville next Monday and playing Valhalla Tuesday morning then heading up to Kohler...it's gonna be a great week!! 
    Sorry man, lol.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    I live within a couple hours of lousiville and i do not feel safe driving through it.....I'm sure I feel that way because I am a conservative though. 
    Probably has more to do with where you get your news, although it seems to me you should know how to spell Louisville before you can be properly afraid of driving through it.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Yeah, but are you Lit????
    No, but I might be Ton_Til.  
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I just want to play some golf...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I just want to play some golf...
    Hopefully the only shots you experience are the ones you take with a club!
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    "Some incidents are obviously one way, others obviously the other way and some that are very messy and not obvious in any way""

Umm ... How can something be both very messy, but also not obvious in any way? That wouldn't happen in my house. The fuzzy little misses (AKA ... Anna B. Scanner) finds any spec of dirt on my sorry a$$ long before I even get in the door. It's uncanny. Sometimes I have to take my clothes off before she'll even let me in the house, and on those days it's really hard to know if I was too messy, or she is just so damned horny that we're going to immediately do the horizontal mombo on the coco welcome mat just inside the door. It hasn't happened yet, but just the prospect of it makes me swell anyway, and at that ..  point I just want to take it inside before the neighbors see it or something.

Ybabpmuts 
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    Probably has more to do with where you get your news, although it seems to me you should know how to spell Louisville before you can be properly afraid of driving through it.  
    Uhm...not really seeing as how there are several sketchy areas in Louisville spread out and unfortunately, shootings are happening throughout Louisville. 

Where you get your news is not pertinant to this if you are local because national news doesn't really report on it. All local news does though. 

and it's not how you spell it, it's how you say it. True locals know how to say it. :smile:
    In Lexington, they pronounce it "duke sucks", but hey...who am I to judge? ;-)
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @bradleya123
    hopefully not today...bad storms moving on in
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Where you get your news is not pertinant to this if you are local because national news doesn't really report on it. All local news does though. 

No, you see, I was specifically told that I really ought to know about the violence in Louisville, despite living several states away.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I was just curious - appears that Louisville has been pretty much far above the average US and Kentucky murder rates for quite awhile:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I was just curious - appears that Louisville has been pretty much far above the average US and Kentucky murder rates for quite awhile:

Wow I guess things really did start to get bad right after Breonna Taylor was killed…
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    Uhm...not really seeing as how there are several sketchy areas in Louisville spread out and unfortunately, shootings are happening throughout Louisville. 

and it's not how you spell it, it's how you say it. True locals know how to say it. :smile:
    In Lexington, they pronounce it "duke sucks", but hey...who am I to judge? ;-)
    I rest my case

• EGGjlmh
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Wow I guess things really did start to get bad right after Breonna Taylor was killed…
    Taylor was died in 2020, that graph only goes to 2017. I'm surprised you didnt know that, it seems like you know everything else

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    that whooshing sound…
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    that whooshing sound…

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    that whooshing sound…

the resemblance really is uncanny 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    The metro police in Louisville is not underfunded, in fact, the mayor just took another $400,000.00 from parks, arts and social services from the budget.

Kentucky is # 5 in the nation for murder homicide, with Louisville playing a major role in that ranking.

Many things are to blame, defunding is not one of them. Many of the people in this city will tell you plain and simple, they fear the police more than crime.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EGGjlmh
    Options
    Holy crap, if there are people legitimately fearing the police then they are the ones with the problem.   You clowns are unreal