Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated

Comments

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Henapple:  Makes fun of someone's spelling, moments after using phrase "I'd of" unironically.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,970
    EGGjlmh said:
    Ok guys, in general.......do you support cops?  yes or no?

I don't think it's a contradiction to be supportive of police and also believe we should insist on holding them accountable when they break the law.  

Our issues largely stem from the fact that we've basically eliminated social services, and now we send people who are authorized to use deadly force to deal with everything and anything, from drug dealers to the mentally ill.    And that we've completely militarized various police departments around the country.  And that we have 72 year-olds who can effectively buy their way onto the force and play cop.

Do you have a problem with any of these aspects?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina

I feel like this must be part 1 of 10, and that I have been cheated.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    According to huff post members all cops are racist killers...it's on the Internet so... =)

@Eggcelsior, don't tell your wife. ..she'll kick my a$$.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Huff post sucks for the most part.

@johnincarolina do you know who she is?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    JIC I think you can parts 3-10 on a different site
  • JohnInCarolina

Ahm, no. Is it your wife?
  • theyolksonyou
    st¡ke said:
    Henapple:  Makes fun of someone's spelling, moments after using phrase "I'd of" unironically.

The guy who barely uses capitalization and punctuation making comments about someone's grammar.....
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 819
    edited April 2015
    EGGjlmh said:

I don't think it's a contradiction to be supportive of police and also believe we should insist on holding them accountable when they break the law.  

Our issues largely stem from the fact that we've basically eliminated social services, and now we send people who are authorized to use deadly force to deal with everything and anything, from drug dealers to the mentally ill.    And that we've completely militarized various police departments around the country.  And that we have 72 year-olds who can effectively buy their way onto the force and play cop.

Do you have a problem with any of these aspects?

Although I do agree with ALL of your above comments, keep in mind that these instances are very rare.  The reason we are seeing these in the media right now are the obvious few instances in the last year or two. 

Check this out for instance:  http://www.courierpress.com/news/trooper-reportedly-shot-daviess-county

The cop is a very very close friend, had the suspect been a different race, would this have been national news?  Just something to ponder

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• JohnInCarolina
    st¡ke said:

The guy who barely uses capitalization and punctuation making comments about someone's grammar.....

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Too late for a do-over?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    Just enjoying the irony and sharing said enjoyment. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2015
    EGGjlmh said:
    Although I do agree with ALL of your above comments, keep in mind that these instances are very rare.  The reason we are seeing these in the media right now are the obvious few instances in the last year or two. 

I'm sure they're rare instances amongst the vast majority of good works that are done by police officers all across the country on a daily basis.  That doesn't mean there aren't systemic issues we ought to address.

This kind of thing has been going on for a long time.  It's not just the past two years, and it's not even just white cops killing black men (look at the Prince Jones case, for example).  The only reason there's so much heat on it now is due to the ubiquitous nature of social media and iPhone cameras.   

The recent Post article looked at things since 2005, and amongst thousands of deadly shootings involving police, only 54 had been charged with any sort of crime.  Most of them were cleared or acquitted.  
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 819
    EGGjlmh said:

I'm sure they're rare instances amongst the vast majority of good works that are done by police officers all across the country on a daily basis.  That doesn't mean there aren't systemic issues we ought to address.

This kind of thing has been going on for a long time.  It's not just the past two years, and it's not even just white cops killing black men (look at the Prince Jones case, for example).  The only reason there's so much heat on it now is due to the ubiquitous nature of social media and iPhone cameras.   

The recent Post article looked at things since 2005, and amongst thousands of deadly shootings involving police, only 54 had been charged with any sort of crime.  Most of them were cleared or acquitted.  

"Most of them were cleared or acquitted"  Are you saying they are guilty?  Not trying to pick a fight but with what you are insinuating most of the time the police are not at fault. 

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,680

Ahm, no. Is it your wife?

Anybody know who this is?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    st¡ke said:

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,442
    This thread needs classing up a bit....
    Next level:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2015
    EGGjlmh said:
    "Most of them were cleared or acquitted"  Are you saying they are guilty?  Not trying to pick a fight but with what you are insinuating most of the time the police are not at fault. 
    I am simply quoting the Post article. People can draw their own conclusions based on the statistics that are cited in the piece.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,680
    Acn said:
    This thread needs classing up a bit....
    Next level:

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Yolks. I could go hardcore re grammar and spelling. You probably don't want to measure dicks in that regard. 

I only mocked his grammar when he mocked someone else's.  

I don't care how badly people spell or write here as a rule. If someone wanted to do nothing but comment on spelling and grammar here, it could be a fulltime job.  Especially given the demographic. 

I just mocked the mocker. And he can stick up for himself. Though I am sure he appreciates you showing that you have his back. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,545
    This thred is getting serious.  Maybe this will help. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,426
    EGGjlmh said:
    My wife is a cop, so yes. 
    Mine's a retired federal cop
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

EGGjlmh said:
    Does I like po-lice?  Does I like plumbers?  Does I like DMV? 

They are all paid by us to do their jobs.  I support people that are competent in their jobs.

I'm glad we have that infrastructure.  As much as we have all these freedom-lovin' anti-government people, they don't seem to mind a fascist police force or NSA.   Are they human?  Sure.  Do they F-up?  Yeah.   Does the occupation attract a certain demographic?  Sure. 

In general, I think cops, especially municipal cops, are under-trained, under-paid, under-qualified for using weapons, and tend to be xenophobic and scared, and were beat up too much in high school.  

Maybe I'm a little jaded as we have had a higher percentage of criminals on our police force than does the general population.  The state troopers in LA are straight shooters, they got that right.  Gretna cops next door to me are egotistical racist simpletons.   I get that they see the worst in society, but let me just say they all should have body-cameras to keep them honest.

I've been reading a series of books about London police and I've been contrasting their policies with our collective police policies and it's fascinating, the differences.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    Sometimes all of this arguing scares me and I just wish I was a sugar glider.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,119
    edited April 2015
    Arguing?  I've just been looking at the funny pictures. All the wordy posts are boring.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,545
    I see the same handful of local PD bring in drunks to ED all the time.   These guys have a hard job and to be honest most of them don't make much money.  You have to support them, someday you may need them.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• nolaegghead
    The Pelican's beat the Spurs and we're in the playoffs.  Whoop whoop!

@Legume - As much as the boob nest seems attractive, you'll be eating mealworms rather than Q, and pooping and peeing all over your masters.  Unless they're R. Kelley, you won't be as cute as the videos.
    Good point @nolaegghead, just curious, what wood would you use with mealworms - maybe cherry for the color?  Brine them?

I like having police also.  It is a tough job, but lots of people have jobs that are tough in different ways.  In general, I believe that people end up in careers that align well with who they are - meaning a blend of what they are capable of, what suits their personality and hopefully something that is closer to satisfying for them than hateful.  Not all careers are chosen directly, but I think that in the choices we make in our lives, we are choosing indirectly.

I would never be a policeman.  I would be a horrible policeman, far from my ideal operating range.  I am glad there are people that are suited to the job because I am not.  I also appreciate that there are doctors, engineers, teachers, etc. 

I don't like people that suck at their job, regardless of what that job is, garbage man, valet, banker, Senator, or policeman.  They're either in the wrong job or the wrong work environment and often they don't have enough self-awareness to know it or enough courage to admit it and make a change.  I would bet that some of these 'bad cops' that are in the press may be in the right job but the wrong work environment.  They're not strong enough to realize how much they may be influenced by a toxic environment.  This isn't any different to me than the recent Fraternity brouhahas around our colleges.

As always, stereotypes have a basis in reality, but it's the application of those stereotypes that causes problems.  It's really only the politicians and lawyers where the stereotypes are 100% true.  =)
    Not a felon
  • nolaegghead
    @Legume - I'd eat mealworm sashimi. 

I get what you're saying and I agree.

We have some culture problems with some of these institutions that are counter productive to the end goal of maintaining peace and order, and protecting and serving the public.   Every institution needs to self improve, if you know of a perfect institution, I'd love to hear about it. 

That said, there is a cultural divide that society, for the greater good, needs to consolidate (undivide) (as much as reasonably possible).  You have a culture of people that hate police because they're poor or look like they're part of a culture in a war with police, or one of a myriad of reasons, but the common denominator is their real, first hand stories of being treated like second hand citizens - treated like dirt or having some institutional hose-job applied.

Now before everyone tripping out, let me give an example through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjpmT5noto

Police should be ambassadors of law and rule and fairness.  They need to be held to a higher standard and work to earn the public's trust.  Unfortunately, the "public" is a fickle beast, but having an adversarial attitude is simply counter productive.  I personally have a dozen stories I can recall of cops being unprofessional and rude on a superficial level to beating the crap out of people that (probably deserved it) but didn't do anything but be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm in New Orleans and we have a history of being number 1 with law enforcement.  In all the wrong ways.  So, as I said earlier, I'm jaded given the environment I'm in and in no way do I think all police officers are screwed up.  In fact, I think many of the problems we have are with management - what's management for if not to manage and be responsible for their policy?

I have friends that are cops and lawyers and I hear some stuff.  I can't talk about some of it on a public forum but I'm not pulling sh!t out of my ass here.

We need to have professional police, trained well, paid well and act as such to enforce law, and promote trust.   I'm all for law and order.