Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Y'all should really watch that video ^^^.   And fat side down.  Or up.  Doesn't matter really.
    Let's make it the last page with the comments this will elicit.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/true-cost-of-gun-violence-in-america

Good ol' Mother Lib Jones. What a woman. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• EGGjlmh said:
    Ok guys, in general.......do you support cops?  yes or no?

Yes...and no. I think that depends on the cop.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232
    Yes. Hell yes. 

Respect authority. 

Don't run, don't attack, that's when it hits the fan. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume said:
    Sometimes all of this arguing scares me and I just wish I was a sugar glider.

And I repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8uLejOuaQ

ShannyShooShoo 
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,680
    Hard to believe that 366,000 people have watched that video 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Y'all should really watch that video ^^^.   And fat side down.  Or up.  Doesn't matter really.
    Check that, you should watch all of the shows.  It's a shame that I feel more informed watching a 30 min show on HBO than I do watching any other "news" show on TV.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Check that, you should watch all of the shows.  It's a shame that I feel more informed watching a 30 min show on HBO than I do watching any other "news" show on TV.
    True statement right here. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    loved the video Nola - but at least part of me recoils whenever I hear some commentator with an overseas accent make a living being clever and criticizing the US.  I'm sure he gives equal time to global idiocy as well and I don't disagree with his message - just a meaningless visceral response with me sometimes.  It seems to be in the vein of Stewart and Colbert, show's I've always enjoyed.  stupidity is always funny to someone.

in many ways the cops are in an untenable situation.  I have to believe most people that choose that line of work have a healthy dose of common sense, a relatively true moral compass and respect for the people they choose to serve.  unfortunately, they're stuck enforcing the laws that others (who may lack their character) have come up with; they're not provided with a robust enough toolset (eg training & guidance) to overcome the challenges of the environment they must work in; and they cannot use the tactics the public use on them - they cannot single groups out and constantly attack and bait them in the media.  this doesn't make any of the 'bad cop' behavior we see sensationalized in the media right or justified nor does it excuse it, to me it just means in some ways the deck is stacked against them more than most people would acknowledge.

we can provide more money, better training, better screening when hiring people, better laws, blah, blah, blah.  there will always be bad eggs, but the fix has to come from individuals, it's not institutional with the job or industry, it's department by department, group by group.  when a group is attacked, they close ranks and band together, not wrong, just human behavior.  the fix inside these ranks starts to happen when individuals have the courage to stand up to the bad parts of the culture and reject and challenge it internally, to hold each other to a higher standard - this isn't top down, this is everyone.  this applies to the cops, this applies to the groups attacking the cops as a monolithic culture, this applies to the fraternities in the news, hell, this applies to the media.  these are all petri dishes that in the absence of the right culture, allow the wrong culture to flourish.  in all of these cases, individuals with the courage to stand up and say this isn't acceptable is what will break the culture.  it's a different type of courage than what is usually associated with being a cop.  this won't go away until the oceans rise and we all go away, but there is tons of room for improvement.

now, about those oceans rising...
    Not a felon
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232
    They're still rising? 

Thought that was fixed
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

This is the feeling I get when I read this thread.  I used to think I wanted to meet most of you guys.......but now......not so much.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Maybe. We have some culture problems with some of these institutions that are counter productive to the end goal of maintaining peace and order, 

the projects? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    Maybe. We have some culture problems with some of these institutions that are counter productive to the end goal of maintaining peace and order, 

the projects? 
    Who built the projects? There is the real culprit.
  • They're still rising? 

Thought that was fixed

Must be the nutria.
    ShannyShooShoo 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Just so I understand the rules, it's ok to mock someone who is mocking someone, but not ok to mock that person?

And, Stike, just because you think you're so much smarter than me doesn't make it necessarily so. You have no idea of my level of intelligence. Stop being so uptight. 
  • henapple
    henapple said:

the projects? 
    I'm assuming our tax dollars did. Saw an interesting show about this. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_Homes
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2015
    Just so I understand the rules, it's ok to mock someone who is mocking someone, but not ok to mock that person?

And, Stike, just because you think you're so much smarter than me doesn't make it necessarily so. You have no idea of my level of intelligence. Stop being so uptight. 
    Mocking someone, who is mocking someone, by pointing out irony or hypocrisy in their comment makes sense to me. Much more fun that way.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    @eggcelsior I'm really trying to polish up my mocking/pointing out game. Sarcasm is more my forte. 
  • nolaegghead

Mocking someone, who is mocking someone, by pointing out irony or hypocrisy in their comment makes sense to me. Much more fun that way.
    +one billion
    Arguing?  I've just been looking at the funny pictures. All the wordy posts are boring.
    I just scroll until I find a picture... View it... keep scrolling...  Except for where Dike is trying to flex his presence...
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    " It started raining pretty hard and apparently he wrapped himself around the nest of my big green and pulled it off the patio, busting it into about 5 pieces."

YIKES!! Now THIS is an outright TRAGEDY.... Saddest post I have ever seen on the EggHead Forum! Feel so bad for you! Hang in there! This will certainly make your appreciate your 2nd BGE even MORE!! Best of luck to you!

• henapple
    I'd of done the same 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Thought this would be appropriate for this thread.  Let the games begin!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867

Then this.. "If someone wanted to do nothing but comment on spelling and grammar here, it could be a fulltime job.  Especially given the demographic."

He saying we're poor and cannot afford an education here?  Come on Dike, get your head out of the sand.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    This thread is SO off the rails!

https://youtu.be/ZcoweoZ6jpM
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2015

Then this.. "If someone wanted to do nothing but comment on spelling and grammar here, it could be a fulltime job.  Especially given the demographic."

He saying we're poor and cannot afford an education here?  Come on Dike, get your head out of the sand.  
    Logical fallacies do not help your argument, they just enforce his.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,012
    henapple said:
    henapple said:

the projects? 
    I'm assuming our tax dollars did. Saw an interesting show about this. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_Homes
    agree - well intentioned ideas that failed, or failed to be managed to success.  like the video nola posted, the ticket/fine structure that gets imposed is like a boot keeping people down
    Not a felon
  • nolaegghead

This is the feeling I get when I read this thread.  I used to think I wanted to meet most of you guys.......but now......not so much.

Thanks for being so honest.  I can't say I feel the same way.