Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf?

Options
How are we not posting meatloaf recipes?!
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    How are we not posting meatloaf recipes?!
    I posted one, but it was a little insensitive for a stand alone post.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Punch "meatloaf eggheadforum" into the googlz, and see what ya get.

I was looking for tips a few months ago, and there were a whole bunch of meatloaf threads to peruse. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    Muffin Tin Meatloaf with Babybel (cheese)

This guy knows how to meatloaf. 
    Is a muffin really a loaf though?. I mean, it looks amazing, but semantics is important.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    Muffin Tin Meatloaf with Babybel (cheese)

This guy knows how to meatloaf. 
    Is a muffin really a loaf though?. I mean, it looks amazing, but semantics is important.
    Is tomato a fruit, or a vegetable? This has bacon AND cheese in it. I do not care what we call it. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @billyray - great to see you posting again.  Returned strong with that recipe and pics.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gonepostal
    Options
    I was expecting a different Meatloaf.

Or maybe I was not!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Ooofff.  Amazing timing.  Not sure if amazingly bad or amazingly good.  Supposedly sent before news broke about the legend Meatloaf.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I think his best work was Fight Club.
  • caliking
    Options
    once again, it is confirmed that I live under a rock.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    I rather liked your matter of fact response on how to use the search function for Meatloaf recipes.
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    I rather liked your matter of fact response on how to use the search function for Meatloaf recipes.
    that "matter of fact response" was actually the whooshing sound over my head =)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Our favorite recipe - though this name is used thousands of times this is a terrific one for the BGE!

Not Your Mother’s Meatloaf

The original recipe was gleaned from one made at a Texas Eggfest in 2004 though I have made several modifications to it over the years to our satisfaction. The most recent is the addition of anchovies! Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL

Ingredients:

1 pound 80/20 ground chuck

½ pound ground pork

4 strips of bacon

4 anchovies 

1 T oil from the anchovies tin

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped green pepper

½ cup Panko bread crumbs – Parmesan herb style

1 T Worcestershire

4 cloves diced garlic

1 raw egg

2 tea Gochujang

1 tea ground black pepper

½ tea kosher salt

½ tea Tabasco

¼ tea ground cumin

¼ cup beef stock

In large skillet slow fry 4 strips of bacon to semi-cooked, but still limp. Remove bacon and set aside. Add 1 T of the oil to the bacon grease and add anchovies, onion, green pepper and sauté all the while stirring and mashing the anchovies into a paste and thoroughly mixing.  As it simmers add the ground pepper, salt, cumin, garlic and continue cooking until veggies are softened. 

Meanwhile slice and dice the bacon strips into small pieces. Don’t worry if they are undercooked to your liking as they will finish cooking inside the meatloaf. Besides if the bacon is crisp to start with they will become hardened, unpleasant surprise nuggets inside the loaf!

Pour the skillet contents into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix and mix well with your hands by squeezing repeatedly through your fingers. (HINT: wear disposable plastic gloves!) Then form your loaf. Trust me - with the bread crumbs and egg binder this will be a solid loaf when thoroughly mixed! Place the loaf on top of waxed paper which is sitting on a cutting board. That way you will be able to coat the ends, sides and one top with a favorite rub such as Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. You can then flip the loaf and coat the final side.

I use a wire meatloaf basket, which allows smoke to reach it on all sides, but you may want to use a small oven proof flat pan or even a “pizza pan” which has holes.

Set up your BGE to cook indirect by using the plate setter with legs up and grate on top. I also foil my PS to keep the grease from getting the PS too dirty. Shoot for a 330° dome temp and cook to an internal temp of 160°. Typically this will take about 90 minutes. BTW I prefer the taste of cherry wood chunks as that smoke seems to “honor” this loaf!

ENJOY!

Revised…again…7-16-18

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @RRP

Do you have a pdf of all your recipes?  You've worked on them for a long time and diligently update with any changes.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @RRP

Do you have a pdf of all your recipes?  You've worked on them for a long time and diligently update with any changes.  
    No, in fact most of mine are either hand written, or print outs of someone else’s with my changes crossed over or scribbled in the margins. The only times I typed them up was when I would be serving them at the BGE cooking classes I taught for 9 years. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think his best work was Fight Club.
    I watched it last night and must agree. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited January 2022
    Options

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    RRP said:
    Here's one of mine. I use a wire mesh meat loaf basket which allows 360º smoke plus the grease to escape. Pretty tasty!

WoW Brisket Like Bark 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • UncleKeith
    Options
    Tried this one last week with a couple tweaks. It got good reviews 

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    edited January 2022
    Options
    The one I  still need  to best. It was delicious bacon wrapped 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I like the simple recipes.  Meat loaf should be a simple comfort food.  Some if these exotics sound amazing, but are exhausting even to read.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I like the simple recipes.  Meat loaf should be a simple comfort food.  Some if these exotics sound amazing, but are exhausting even to read.
    I can’t believe I’m seeing meatloaf served without mashed potatoes.
  • RRP
    Options
    I hear you, but I believe raising the mundane up to nearly spectacular is worthwhile!