Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cutting Boards

Options
13»

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,258
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Great, now I have guilt  =)
    Glad we could help. Have a great evening. 🤣🤣
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ton_Til
    Options
    Thank you @CTMike this is an absolute stunner!!

Nice work!
  • Ton_Til
    Options
    Beautiful board, Mike. 

I'm in the camp where normal wear and tear adds to the character.  Tools are meant to be used. People actually pay extra for jeans that are half worn out, or guitars like this:

I agree. Both of these boards are 10-12 years old and the end grain has been used alot more. You can barely tell its ever been used. 
  • CTMike
    Options

Ton_Til said:

That second board is stunning - what species of wood is that? I’m thinking swamp cypress but that’s really a guess.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Have been meaning to share @CTMike ‘s handiwork. 

Mike surprised us. Etched in the center is the Ashoka Chakra, from India’s national flag. A very special, heartfelt touch. 

Count us in the camp of “afraid to use it”. We’ve been admiring it, ever since we received it a few days before India’s Republic Day. I guess I’ll steel myself, and use it, as it was intended to be. 

Thanks again, Mike. We will cherish this for many many years to come. 
    Whoa
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ton_Til
    Options
    CTMike said:

Ton_Til said:

That second board is stunning - what species of wood is that? I’m thinking swamp cypress but that’s really a guess.
    Ambrosia red maple. Got a couple boards from this guy. That board you made for Ozzie looks amazing. https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenRiverWoods?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=90869468
  • CTMike
    Options
    caliking said:

Mike surprised us. Etched in the center is the Ashoka Chakra, from India’s national flag. A very special, heartfelt touch. 

Count us in the camp of “afraid to use it”. We’ve been admiring it, ever since we received it a few days before India’s Republic Day. I guess I’ll steel myself, and use it, as it was intended to be. 

You guys are very welcome. For those wondering about the splotches of black around the spokes - the Ashoka Chakra design was carved in to the board with the CNC, and then filled with the black resin. Because it is an end-grain board, the wood fibers are like vertical straws that absorbed some of the resin outside of the carved design.

If I sanded it anymore to remove the splotches I would have started to lose the detail at the fine end of the spokes. Thankfully this was done on the bottom of the board so not normally visible..

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Ton_Til said:
    CTMike said:

Ton_Til said:

Ambrosia red maple. Got a couple boards from this guy. That board you made for Ozzie looks amazing. https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenRiverWoods?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=90869468
    Thanks, I may try to look for some of that.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

You guys are very welcome. For those wondering about the splotches of black around the spokes - the Ashoka Chakra design was carved in to the board with the CNC, and then filled with the black resin. Because it is an end-grain board, the wood fibers are like vertical straws that absorbed some of the resin outside of the carved design.

If I sanded it anymore to remove the splotches I would have started to lose the detail at the fine end of the spokes. Thankfully this was done on the bottom of the board so not normally visible..
    It looks amazing man.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,536
    Options
    @CT Mike Nukes always were high achievers and some more than than others.  Your talents across the Q and now woodworking landscape bear out that drive, knowledge and skill-set.  Da-n impressive work.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    Options
    Haven’t made too many boards lately, but built this wall jewelry case for the wife’s birthday.  3/4” solid walnut.

Very nice

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Thanks @CTMike. I also made this big wall clock for my sons law office in the old shop. Came from same walnut slab as the jewelry case.  Wish I had more walnut from that tree!