Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Taiwanese-style Beef Noodle Soup

Options
Had a wagyu brisket point taking up space in the freezer, and wanted to do something different with it. So, here it goes. 

Trimmed as much fat as I could. Ended up with a flattish piece of point , and 2 flattish pieces of the flat. Rolled ‘em, and tied them up into roast-looking pieces. Seasoned one with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops, and the other with DP Peking. Then promptly forgot which one I had seasoned with what =)

Went into the dishwasher for most of the morning. Post oak, mesquite, hickory, a piece of pecan, or two. Some time in the afternoon, pulled both pieces off, 

Started building the broth. Sesame oil, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, lemongrass, smoked turkey broth. Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, fennel seeds, star anise, bay leaves, sichuan peppercorns. Beef tendon, for that unctuous mouthfeel. Simmered for a few hours. It's been a relatively lazy day. 

In a bowl with homemade haam choy, homemade pickled daikon, and a soft egg. 

I guess, it turned out more like a bowl of ramen. Who cares… it was farkin’ delicious!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    There you go again leavin me with nuttin to say but Damn! 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I officially hate you.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    My goodness. That looks wonderful.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Ashish, do you normally serve the tendon with the dish, or just use it in the broth and remove it?  My favorite phò restaurant had a couple versions with tendon, but I don't care for the texture/chew and can't notice a taste when I do chew it (I avoid it now).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, folks.

@Botch - caliqueen doesn't care for those chewy bits, so I reserved them for myself :) They were very super tender, after simmering for a few hours. 

But, yes, one could very well remove them for serving. Their main purpose is to allow for their rendered collagen to lend body to the broth. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My gawd. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Damn! Damn!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Damn! Damn!
    This is the cook, that started with making the haam choy some time back :)

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Hey Now !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Love these cooks that are off the beaten path. Looks incredible. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Good grief 😋😋😋

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Excellent idea, write up, and pictures.  The finished photo makes me sad I can’t try it and jealous at the same time. Awesome work
    Greensboro, NC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I’m not worthy. Man that looks like pure joy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Excellent idea, write up, and pictures.  The finished photo makes me sad I can’t try it and jealous at the same time. Awesome work
    Here's the recipe I mainly followed:
    https://thewoksoflife.com/taiwanese-beef-noodle-soup-instant-pot/

I made the broth in a dutch oven. caliqueen thought the star anise was a bit much, so I'd use half next time. I also added dried orange peel, and black cardamom, but the recipe in the link doesn't call for that. 

You could make the broth, and put this together with leftover protein. Its good winter comfort food :)

• caliking
    Options
    I’m not worthy. Man that looks like pure joy. 
    It was! I could eat just the broth with noodles. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Had a wagyu brisket point taking up space in the freezer, and wanted to do something different with it. So, here it goes. 

Trimmed as much fat as I could. Ended up with a flattish piece of point , and 2 flattish pieces of the flat. Rolled ‘em, and tied them up into roast-looking pieces. Seasoned one with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops, and the other with DP Peking. Then promptly forgot which one I had seasoned with what =)

Went into the dishwasher for most of the morning. Post oak, mesquite, hickory, a piece of pecan, or two. Some time in the afternoon, pulled both pieces off, 

Started building the broth. Sesame oil, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, lemongrass, smoked turkey broth. Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, fennel seeds, star anise, bay leaves, sichuan peppercorns. Beef tendon, for that unctuous mouthfeel. Simmered for a few hours. It's been a relatively lazy day. 

In a bowl with homemade haam choy, homemade pickled daikon, and a soft egg. 

I guess, it turned out more like a bowl of ramen. Who cares… it was farkin’ delicious!!

I am so doing this 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    I am so doing this 
    The broth is pretty rich, so the pickled daikon is well worth the effort. It'll last for months in the fridge. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I am so doing this 
    The broth is pretty rich, so the pickled daikon is well worth the effort. It'll last for months in the fridge. 
    We have our fermentation station all set up at the new place so perfect timing 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Damn dude, you’re on another planet with these cooks lately -this looks fanfarkingtastic. Definitely will be trying this. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wow!!!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Those photos are worthy of being stolen by Steve Raichlen.  Absolutely fantastic!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Wow, totally next level. I love it!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • caliking
    Options
    Those photos are worthy of being stolen by Steve Raichlen.  Absolutely fantastic!
    Ha ha! Only on this forum, would that be understood to be a compliment .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    edited December 2021
    Options
    caliking said:
    Wolfpack said:

I made the broth in a dutch oven. caliqueen thought the star anise was a bit much, so I'd use half next time. I also added dried orange peel, and black cardamom, but the recipe in the link doesn't call for that. 

You could make the broth, and put this together with leftover protein. Its good winter comfort food :)
    How will you know what “half” is?

And oh yeah - nice cook.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Wolfpack said:

How will you know what “half” is?

And oh yeah - nice cook.
    Are you questioning my ability to determine what half of "that seems about right" is??

Of course, it would be "that looks like half of what seems about right".