Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Options
I’m looking at an automatic temp control. I’m leaning towards the bbq guru ultra q over the flame boss 500 and the bge atc. Looking for opinions from experienced users of any of these products. Have a large bge and learning how to use it. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the forum and the BGE community!  

I had a bbq guru back in the day and it worked very well until it broke. That was my fault more than anything else.   Since then I haven't looked to replace it as I've just become comfortable trusting my set up and vents.  That being said I've lost a little sleep here and there worrying about a low temp fire going out.  So these things are useful for that peace of mind, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on the various options from many others here.

I would definitely recommend trying to learn how to use the vents to control the temperature before buying a unit, however.  I think that's just how you come to understand how the BGE really works.  Then if you buy a controller you're a much more informed user.  Just my $0.02.  Above all, enjoy and have fun!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    I second the above regarding learning the manual operation.  That said, here's a recent thread that may be of value:

Best temperature control unit  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Used a guru for a long time, now it is a backup to my Smobot.  Too many issues with the guru and difficulty contacting customer service (long before COVID).  Smobot for the win, hands down.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Pappy05
    Options
    Thanks for your inputs. I’ve cooked 5 times so far since I got it a couple of weeks ago. Get omg the manual temp down pretty good. A little difficulty but not as bad as I thought. Maybe I’ll just start with a meat probe so I don’t do anymore overcooking. Again thanks for your inputs. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Pappy05 - Pearl of wisdom right here; "Maybe I’ll just start with a meat probe so I don’t do anymore overcooking."  In addition to a probe to get an idea of when a low and slow cook is finished as their finish-line is all about the feel, a good instant read thermo is a game-changer. Hot and fast cooks are where it earns its keep as the rate of temperature change can get you a result you did not aim for.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    There are lots of great past posts about controllers. Just scroll down several pages and take a look.
    When you see something you like, use the search menu to find more specific posts.
    And Damn Man…Post some food photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas