Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin briquets vs Rock Wood

Options
The charcoal hoarding thread got me thinking. I haven’t used charcoal briquets in a really long time and have tried a ton of lump charcoal, including Rock Wood.  I like it and buy it when I can find it.  Anyway, has anyone tried the Aaron Franklin charcoal?  I found a picture of a bag online if you haven’t seen it.  I wonder if it’s better than Rock Wood, it certainly would be easier to light.  Do you think Rock Wood will make briquets to compete with Franklin?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    This is just educated guess, but I bet the Franklin charcoal is just private label and probably the same as some other brand already on the market. But it would be tough for any compressed, formed briquettes to match the performance of a good natural lump.
    But yes, the briquettes are probably easier to light.
    I do like some of the Franklin BBQ Sauces.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Seems to me the real question is, if you use the Franklin briquets, along with the beef tallow that YouTube guy suggested, plus the pickle juice before the rub… will your briskets come out like Franklin’s?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Don't forget the Lawry's seasoned salt & 72 hour rest. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Seems to me the real question is, if you use the Franklin briquettes, along with the beef tallow that YouTube guy suggested, plus the pickle juice before the rub… will your briskets come out like Franklin’s?
    so much agree with this ^^^^^ people are now running in circles with the latest fad, I laugh @ the tallow one..........Confit, yes , squirting it on butcher paper that will already get tallow on it from the brisket you are cooking, LoL 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    It's so simple, you want Franklin brisket? all you have to do is get prime and wagyu graded custom trimmed briskets to your specifications, put salt and pepper on them, Cook them over post oak, and then put them in your custom built $40,000 climate controlled warming ovens to sit and self baste for about 8-12 hours. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    Options
    It's so simple, you want Franklin brisket? all you have to do is get prime and wagyu graded custom trimmed briskets to your specifications, put salt and pepper on them, Cook them over post oak, and then put them in your custom built $40,000 climate controlled warming ovens to sit and self baste for about 8-12 hours. 
    I introduce to you: ( I do want one of these )

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

However, I'm sure people will buy the heck out of the charcoal because of the name. Just like his Pits that sell for a whopping 3k.  
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    bella21 said:
    I introduce to you: ( I do want one of these )

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

However, I'm sure people will buy the heck out of the charcoal because of the name. Just like his Pits that sell for a whopping 3k.  
    Thank the Lord I don't have room for this, you're not going to get me forum!

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 90
    Options
    I actually did a Franklin-style brisket on the BGE and it turned out insanely awesome! Prime, salt and pepper, lump with post oak chunks mixed in, 275, wrapped in butcher paper just at the end of the stall, pulled off at 203, rest for hour. Gonna try a Boston butt Franklin-style this weekend but can't wait to do the brisket again!
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    This is just educated guess, but I bet the Franklin charcoal is just private label and probably the same as some other brand already on the market. But it would be tough for any compressed, formed briquettes to match the performance of a good natural lump.
    But yes, the briquettes are probably easier to light.
    I do like some of the Franklin BBQ Sauces.
    Yep, just repackaged with his name on it.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Not a Franklin fan or whatever but it bums me out when people sell theirs souls to make a little money. The smoker I get but briquettes? Is this a joke?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    He probably was been commercialized by all the tv he's been doing. Usually the next step is products. He really will have lost it when he does his own magazine like Rachel Ray.
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    He uses charcoal briquets to cook steak on his PK grill.
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    I’ll bet the quality of his food really drops off now that he’s just a product guy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I'll be back in Austin (hopefully later this year as part of my every 30 month Central Texas brisket chase) to enjoy his briskets and the atmosphere around the happening.  I agree with the above regarding the commercialization of his name but the brisket he cranks out (80+/day) is impressive.  
    Mind you there are others right there as well-that's what makes the CT tour such an enjoyment.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Lockhart to Lulling, the BBQ trail. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I rolled thru Lockhart on a six day brisket bender in June 2019.  Hit Salt Lick, City Market, Snow's,  Louie Mueller's, and Truth along with a few in the Austin area.  It was a two a day for six day road trip.  Incredible.  Ready to go again.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    U Need to hit Blacks, Smitty’s and Kreutz’s all in Lockhart. And, Chisholm Trail. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    U Need to hit Blacks, Smitty’s and Kreutz’s all in Lockhart. And, Chisholm Trail. 

Blacks in Lockhart is outstanding. I haven't been to any of the other places. I can't imagine how they could improve upon the perfection that Blacks produces. Next trip I would like to try the others as well as return to Blacks
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I hit Smitty's on that trip after breakfast at Valentina's. BTW- that article is 5 years old.  But I will venture that I have hit more than most locals. I also have to grab for the brass ring whenever I visit as the window for me is quite limited.  There are more than I can accommodate and that makes it such an enjoyable trip.  FWIW-
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    I know it’s five years old. But it still applies. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I'm not gonna discuss how any BBQ establishment has changed in 5 years.  I have a few on the ground trusted sources with whom I communicate as I put my bender trips together.  Will do again this Nov-Dec covid depending.  Thanks for the link.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Getting back to @PeteSilver initial post I have to ask a question. So how are they made?

That bag says those briquets were made with NO CHEMICALS and NO FILLERS. Everything I have ever read about briquets (much less however any producer wants to spell their similar product) they grind up charcoal (unless it already was nothing but sawdust to start with) and then they have to use SOMETHING to bind the charcoal particles back together into briquets. 
    Guess I’ll just stay old school and will buy and use what I can dump out of a bag and recognize as having been pieces of tree limbs, tree trunks and even tree roots. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Henry Ford started Kingsford.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Options
    …and shingles, staples, flooring

I really didn’t expect cancel culture would reach all the way to briquets.  What’s more American than Henry Ford and Kingsford?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Not a Franklin fan or whatever but it bums me out when people sell theirs souls to make a little money. The smoker I get but briquettes? Is this a joke?
    Briquettes are not ideal in our Kamados, but great in Kettle style grills and many others. No issues using quality briquettes. 
    Respect to Franklin for putting in the hard work over the years. Have used his seasoning and sauces and like them. Good for Franklin cashing in a little.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I rolled thru Lockhart on a six day brisket bender in June 2019.  Hit Salt Lick, City Market, Snow's,  Louie Mueller's, and Truth along with a few in the Austin area.  It was a two a day for six day road trip.  Incredible.  Ready to go again.
    I got the meat sweats just reading this.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    He probably was been commercialized by all the tv he's been doing. Usually the next step is products. He really will have lost it when he does his own magazine like Rachel Ray.
    He will really have lost it when he starts posting pictures he stole from a social media forum…
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I have used Kingsford in my egg, it does leave a lot of ash, but it works pretty good for burgers and hotdogs. If briquet charcoal has anything going for it, its the consistency of the briquettes. I have never opened a bag of briquettes and find the bottom 1/3 of the bag has been crushed into small fine pieces.
    If I can locate the Franklin charcoal, I would like to give it a try.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GregW said:
    I have used Kingsford in my egg, it does leave a lot of ash, but it works pretty good for burgers and hotdogs. If briquet charcoal has anything going for it, its the consistency of the briquettes. I have never opened a bag of briquettes and find the bottom 1/3 of the bag has been crushed into small fine pieces.
    If I can locate the Franklin charcoal, I would like to give it a try.
    I either use briquettes or leftover lump when I cook with my Mini Egg.
    I get more even heat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas