Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Smashburgers on the grill grates

BotchBotch Posts: 11,542
Kenji just did a video on this.  Besides the technique/info on pre-smashing the burgers, he pre-grills his buns; the meat shall not wait (I think I'd wait on adding the condiments myself, however).  I also need to try cooking over a much higher flame, I guess I'm not properly "grilling".  

Comments

• 4TheGrillOfIt4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 298
    Love Kenji!  He knows his stuff.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 37,458
    That dude is so relatable.  Reminds me of me, except I'm totally not relatable.

I learned the bit about concentrating the charring/searing on one side.  Great tip for thin burgers.

• Langner91Langner91 Posts: 507
    This is my go-to method.  I use my grill-grates upside down more than right-side up.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • EoinEoin Posts: 3,758

I learned the bit about concentrating the charring/searing on one side.  Great tip for thin burgers.
    The first side always gets the best char.
  • SonVoltSonVolt Posts: 2,960
    He's probably the most important culinary figure in the last 10 years IMO. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 7,985

Ive always thought he was your doppelganger
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon Fat Stacks 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • keener75keener75 Posts: 313
    edited July 22
    lkapigian said:

I've always thought he was @JohnInCarolina 's doppelganger  B)
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
    keener75 said:
    lkapigian said:

I've always thought he was @JohnInCarolina 's doppelganger  B)
    But, but... Kenji is cool!

but, but...I always thought you guys were the same person?!?
    keener75 said:
    We disagree on that so I'm not sure.

keener75 said:
    We disagree on that so I'm not sure.

LOL...you guys are all cool in my book...especially Kenji!
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 3,659
    Eoin said:

The first side always gets the best char.
    « sponge » the uncooked side with a paper towel so that it is mostly dry before flipping.  That’s dirty and more work but you end up with better charring/searing on both sides.

Mountain View, CA
  • AprèsSkiAprèsSki Posts: 83
    Made these last night on my Weber gasser with Grill Grates.

They turned out fantastic. The best part was how fast they cooked and the ease of cleanup compared to breaking out the Blackstone.

Will be my new go to for quick burger fixes.
    Firing up the XL BGE in Salt Lake City
  • ALLCAPSALLCAPS Posts: 9
    SonVolt said:
    He's probably the most important culinary figure in the last 10 years IMO. 
    This is actually true. Kenji is prob the voice of our culinary generation. Not prob, he really is.