Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smashburgers on the grill grates

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,411
Kenji just did a video on this.  Besides the technique/info on pre-smashing the burgers, he pre-grills his buns; the meat shall not wait (I think I'd wait on adding the condiments myself, however).  I also need to try cooking over a much higher flame, I guess I'm not properly "grilling".  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUG9ZXhJEbg

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

Comments

• Love Kenji!  He knows his stuff.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That dude is so relatable.  Reminds me of me, except I'm totally not relatable.

I learned the bit about concentrating the charring/searing on one side.  Great tip for thin burgers.
    This is my go-to method.  I use my grill-grates upside down more than right-side up.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

I learned the bit about concentrating the charring/searing on one side.  Great tip for thin burgers.
    The first side always gets the best char.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    He's probably the most important culinary figure in the last 10 years IMO. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,681

Ive always thought he was your doppelganger
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    edited July 2021
    lkapigian said:

I've always thought he was @JohnInCarolina 's doppelganger  B)
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    keener75 said:
    lkapigian said:

I've always thought he was @JohnInCarolina 's doppelganger  B)
    But, but... Kenji is cool!

but, but...I always thought you guys were the same person?!?
  • nolaegghead
    keener75 said:
    We disagree on that so I'm not sure.

keener75 said:
    We disagree on that so I'm not sure.

LOL...you guys are all cool in my book...especially Kenji!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,655
    Eoin said:

The first side always gets the best char.
    « sponge » the uncooked side with a paper towel so that it is mostly dry before flipping.  That’s dirty and more work but you end up with better charring/searing on both sides.

I frequented his Wursthaus restaraunt in San Mateo before he moved out of the area. Bummed I never got to meet him. I think he had smashburgers on the menu. I follow his recipe for mine.
    Mountain View, CA
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Made these last night on my Weber gasser with Grill Grates.

They turned out fantastic. The best part was how fast they cooked and the ease of cleanup compared to breaking out the Blackstone.

Will be my new go to for quick burger fixes.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • ALLCAPS
    ALLCAPS Posts: 9
    SonVolt said:
    He's probably the most important culinary figure in the last 10 years IMO. 
    This is actually true. Kenji is prob the voice of our culinary generation. Not prob, he really is.