Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Santa Maria Tri Tip Dinner

Options
dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,268
edited March 2021 in EggHead Forum
We've been eating Tri Tip quite frequently here. Recently, I started making pinquito beans as a side. Looking over the materials that came with the raw beans, I learned there are two more staple sides for a Santa Maria Tri Tip Dinner: tomato salsa and garlic bread. Today, I added both of those to make the full meal.

Full spread: Tri Tip, garlic bread, pinquito beans, tomato salsa.

Our family of three can generally eat as much tri tip as you see in the platter in the background. The foreground portion goes into the fridge for lunches. We generally make nachos a day or two later.

I used SRF black tri tip. Light/medium trim, hit it with Albukirky Red, cook at 250 indirect for about an hour over Rockwood and Red Oak, then raise temp to 500F and sear for 3 mins per side, moving around frequently. 

Here's the recipe I used for the salsa:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/santa-maria-style-salsa-recipe.html

I found it was a nice complement to the heavy meat/beans/garlic bread. I just ate it like a salad.
Mountain View, CA

Comments