Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather

Options
Is everybody doing ok with the cold weather?  My daughter and son-in-law are in Texas and having to abandon their fifth wheel camper due to power outage and sub-freezing temperatures.  Apparently it’s pretty bad across southeast Texas in places where they’re not used to cold temps.  

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A friend of mines place in Houston. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    It was -7 and sunny as I prepared dinner tonight.  Granted, I didn’t stay outside too long, but the fact that it wasn’t incredibly windy and cloudy made it seem almost comfortable. 

We have mandated power outages throughout town as well.  It hasn’t hit my neighborhood yet, but we’re all bracing for it.  

Expected highs this Friday in Nebraska are in the mid 30’s.  Crazy to think that’s FIFTY degrees higher than tonight’s low.  Tank top weather baby! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It sucks when people die because of poor energy management.
    The power outages across Texas are not from downed lines or damage due to storms for the most part. 
    They just didn’t allocate enough. So they started doing their standard rolling blackouts and then just didn’t turn people back on. We were lucky. Have 1 old natural gas space heater, a little generator and a Mini Egg to thaw my water lines. Also lucky that we don’t have the colder temps they have just a few miles north.
    Friend posted this from Kemah Texas.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2021
    Options
    -50F here in Minnesota this past Sunday
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    That’s just insanely cold!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    That’s sofa king cold! More ice tonight in Austin. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    WeberWho said:
    That’s just insanely cold!

I'm not sure what makes it a "daily" state record but I know a town just south of Ely has hit -61F for the overall state record in the past. 

It's been a long cold week. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    My niece and her family are in Midland. They don't have natural gas. But they do have a fireplace.....with no firewood. I asked her about charcoal and she said she hadn't thought about that but would check in the morning. Meanwhile the three of them and the three dogs: Chihuahua, Sheltie, and Lab are all piled in one bed. 
    I had heard that their windmills were iced over and for some reason they had to shut down a nuke plant. If so other states in the wind belt should start having problems soon.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My niece and her family are in Midland. They don't have natural gas. But they do have a fireplace.....with no firewood. I asked her about charcoal and she said she hadn't thought about that but would check in the morning. Meanwhile the three of them and the three dogs: Chihuahua, Sheltie, and Lab are all piled in one bed. 
    I had heard that their windmills were iced over and for some reason they had to shut down a nuke plant. If so other states in the wind belt should start having problems soon.
    An official with the Electric Reliability Council of Texas said Tuesday afternoon that 16 gigawatts of renewable energy generation, mostly wind generation, was offline. Nearly double that, 30 gigawatts, had been lost from thermal sources, which includes gas, coal and nuclear energy.
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Just Googled for information on the cold weather crisis in Texas.

Not only will those in Texas have very little energy to get through this, but now you will have to pay even more to use it. 

https://www.puc.texas.gov/51617WinterERCOTOrder.pdf

https://www.valleycentral.com/

Edit:
    If I read this correctly, and I may indeed be wrong, (which I hope I am) there is no shortage, ERCOT just literally told the natural gas plants to shut down, because they refused to pay for gas at the spiked prices, due to increased demand, while at the same time, removing the caps on both gas and electricity and increase the prices during a crisis for what you are able to use. Those using electricity during this event are going to be unpleasantly surprised on their next bill.

Best of luck getting through this everyone.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My niece and her family are in Midland. They don't have natural gas. But they do have a fireplace.....with no firewood. I asked her about charcoal and she said she hadn't thought about that but would check in the morning. 
    NEVER NEVER NEVER burn charcoal indoors! CO risk is too high.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

The recently resigned mayor of Colorado City, TX seems nice.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Acn said:

And I'm just wondering how you can have multiple "bottom lines"?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options

hard to get a good draft going with charcoal in an open fireplace.  ive known people making it thru a new england winter finding free pallets in the industrial neighbor hoods. theres several places near me where they are just stacked up  for the taking, mostly for reuse, its where i get my shipping pallets when i get low
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    We have been lucky here in Midland not to lose power or water. My brother and his family are staying with us.  We live fairly close to a nursing home so I feel like that is why we haven't lost power since we are probably on their same grid.  Heads better role at ERCOT.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I cannot figure out how ice, snow or wind would directly impact a nuclear power plant.  Major transmission line issues (no way to get the power out) could contribute but the plant itself is pretty bullet-proof, save tsunamis.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Acn said:

What a friggin d!ckhead. He deserves whatever hell comes his way. Maybe I'm crazy but this is America, power and water are ESSENTIAL services THAT YOU PAY FOR and if what YukonRon said above is true, I will guarantee you that anyone that has kept their power on this whole time and gets presented with a $600 electric or gas bill WONT be paying it

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We have been lucky here in Midland not to lose power or water. My brother and his family are staying with us.  We live fairly close to a nursing home so I feel like that is why we haven't lost power since we are probably on their same grid.  Heads better role at ERCOT.  
    Maybe Texas should limit the isolationist schtick to flags and bumper stickers on big trucks and integrate their electrical grid.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Funny how the wind farms in North Dakota haven't had any issues.  My recollection is that it gets pretty cold up there.  Could it be that some states have energy infrastructure that is prepared for cold weather, while others... do not?  Hmmmm....
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The issue was ice on the blades. It stresses the blades AND if the ice is flung off at high velocity it causes damage to surrounding infrastructure. That’s the way I understand it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Funny how the wind farms in North Dakota haven't had any issues.  My recollection is that it gets pretty cold up there.  Could it be that some states have energy infrastructure that is prepared for cold weather, while others... do not?  Hmmmm....
    True.  It has been -10°F to 10°F for 2 weeks here in Iowa.  Every windmill I see here is going round and round.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited February 2021
    Options
    nm...better not offend anyone  :)
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I cannot figure out how ice, snow or wind would directly impact a nuclear power plant.  Major transmission line issues (no way to get the power out) could contribute but the plant itself is pretty bullet-proof, save tsunamis.   
    Reports are that some of the equipment froze. Take it for what it's worth.  I haven't spent any time tracking down details.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is a pretty good explanation of what happened in Texas, and why:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/02/16/ercot-texas-electric-grid-failure/

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    the wind mills in north dakota automatically shut down at minus 20, its planned for, texas doesnt plan for it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Quite possible though an ice storm in Galvaston on the Gulf of Mexico is pretty rare. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Quite possible though an ice storm in Galvaston on the Gulf of Mexico is pretty rare. 
    I guess I don't follow your argument.  You indicated that other states in the wind belt should start having problems soon, and I simply pointed out that this isn't necessarily true as many are plenty well equipped for cold weather.  
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I guess I don't follow your argument.  You indicated that other states in the wind belt should start having problems soon, and I simply pointed out that this isn't necessarily true as many are plenty well equipped for cold weather.  
    From the article I posted above.

The answer, in short, is that turbines in colder places are typically equipped with de-icing and other tools, such as built-in heating. In Texas, where the weather is almost never this cold, they usually are not. 

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.