Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• Just kicking this around today with some friends.  Predictions for which of these will end up selling more units?

Is the question which will sell more in a particular year or over the life?  I’m not sure Rivian will be around in 5–10 years. 
    I’m not sure the Tesla will be around in 5-10 years.
    I think it’s hilarious when a keyboard cowboy is second guessing one of the richest man in the worlds chance of success. 
    What’s hilarious is equating wealth with judgment.  
    If poor judgment made wealth… oh how I would be rich!
    We have this bizarre view of wealth in this country.  People just take it for granted that very wealthy people got there based on superior knowledge, ability, and work ethic.  How dare anyone question them?  

I mean… on point with the subject of this thread, after Musk sold his first company, he bought a $1M McLaren F1.  You know what happened to that car?  Musk crashed it - uninsured.  

Here’s what he said after the crash:

“You know, I had read all these stories about people who made money and bought sports cars and crashed them. But I knew it would never happen to me, so I didn’t get any insurance.”

Obviously, this man is a genius who should never be questioned. 
    Elon Musk owned his McLaren F1 until 2007, when he sold it at profit, despite the accident.”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I guess I don’t understand why people criticize successful people relentlessly and wish them failure. Maybe it is their own insecurities I dunno. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I guess I don’t understand why people criticize successful people relentlessly and wish them failure. Maybe it is their own insecurities I dunno. 
    There is a difference between suggesting someone very wealthy isn’t necessarily infallible and relentlessly questioning successful people and wishing them failure.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Just kicking this around today with some friends.  Predictions for which of these will end up selling more units?

Is the question which will sell more in a particular year or over the life?  I’m not sure Rivian will be around in 5–10 years. 
    I think it’s hilarious when a keyboard cowboy is second guessing one of the richest man in the worlds chance of success. 
    We have this bizarre view of wealth in this country.  People just take it for granted that very wealthy people got there based on superior knowledge, ability, and work ethic.  How dare anyone question them?  

I mean… on point with the subject of this thread, after Musk sold his first company, he bought a $1M McLaren F1.  You know what happened to that car?  Musk crashed it - uninsured.  

“You know, I had read all these stories about people who made money and bought sports cars and crashed them. But I knew it would never happen to me, so I didn’t get any insurance.”

Elon Musk owned his McLaren F1 until 2007, when he sold it at profit, despite the accident.”
    Oh!  Well, that must mean driving a $1M supercar around without insurance wasn’t a mistake, amirite?

Jesus Christ.

Oh!  Well, that must mean driving a $1M supercar around without insurance wasn’t a mistake, amirite?

Jesus Christ.
    Self-insurance is a situation in which a person or business that is liable for some risk does not take out any third-party insurance, but rather chooses to bear the risk itself.
      It’s a thing. We may never get there but that’s ok, I don’t insure my bicycle and this would probably be more of my net worth than a car to Elon.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

Jesus Christ.
    Self-insurance is a situation in which a person or business that is liable for some risk does not take out any third-party insurance, but rather chooses to bear the risk itself.
      It’s a thing. We may never get there but that’s ok, I don’t insure my bicycle and this would probably be more of my net worth than a car to Elon.

He crashed the car because he floored it, in traffic, and later admitted he didn’t really know how to drive the car.  He was trying to show off to Peter Thiel - the passenger at the time.  He’s lucky he didn’t get them both killed.

But  Musk is obviously a genius who rarely, if ever makes mistakes and whose wisdom should not be questioned by mere mortals who don’t have a fraction of his net worth.  I don’t know what I was thinking.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

The stock market is so manipulated now a days. Look at Tesla’s EBITDA compared to GM and Ford and tell me if that makes sense. 
    These things come down to fundamentals.

When it comes to making EVs, what “secret sauce” do you think Tesla has that other car companies lack?   I would argue that it’s nothing that can’t be caught technology-wise, and the big auto makers have a lot of advantages that Tesla does not.  

I don’t disagree with you. Tesla however has had a major head start and are building an infrastructure that will support it’s self as opposed to other companies. I’m not suggesting the others won’t catch up, merely Tesla (nor Musk for that matter) isn’t going away anytime soon. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    edited December 2022
    Just kicking this around today with some friends.  Predictions for which of these will end up selling more units?

The auto industry in the US in the last 100+ years has seen probably a hundred manufacturers come and go in that time. At least a couple of the Big Three came very close to extinction in the past 40 years or so.

Tesla may be around for another 5, 10, 15, whateva but given their woes and the increase in competition their survival is not assured. China is likely to enter the US car market in the not too distant future and they make some interesting EV's. China has been exporting EV's to Europe for a few years (among those are Tesla Model 3's that are made in Shanghai).

Waddya bet Tesla does actually survive for the long run but as a Chinese owned operation?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    HeavyG said:
    Just kicking this around today with some friends.  Predictions for which of these will end up selling more units?

The auto industry in the US in the last 100+ years has seen probably a hundred manufacturers come and go in that time. At least a couple of the Big Three came very close to extinction in the past 40 years or so.

Tesla may be around for another 5, 10, 15, whateva but given their woes and the increase in competition their survival is not assured. China is likely to enter the US car market in the not too distant future and they make some interesting EV's. China has been exporting EV's to Europe for a few years (among those are Tesla Model 3's that are made in Shanghai).

Waddya bet Tesla does actually survive for the long run but as a Chinese owned operation?

Well they are making them for china in china so there are legs to that. John should be able to make more comments about how they steal our IP. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,138
    edited December 2022
    HeavyG said:

Well they are making them for china in china so there are legs to that. John should be able to make more comments about how they steal our IP. 
    Look into military hardware.  China has advanced rapidly due to stealing.  They have an extensive industrial espionage organization.  Companies who setup shop in China are just making ot that much easier.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

They don't have to steal our IP as our oligarchs willingly give it to them if they can make more profits that way.

Since Musk has sold off more than 20 billion bucks of Tesla stock this year (leaving him with just 13% ownership) perhaps he might know something is coming and that it's time to jump ship. Maybe China will buy the company sooner than I thought. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

Look into military hardware.  China has advanced rapidly due to stealing.  They have an extensive industrial espionage organization.  Companies who setup shop in China are just making ot that much easier.
    To be fair tho industrial espionage is a game that every nation plays (and has played for centuries).

• The stock market is so manipulated now a days. Look at Tesla’s EBITDA compared to GM and Ford and tell me if that makes sense. 
    These things come down to fundamentals.

When it comes to making EVs, what “secret sauce” do you think Tesla has that other car companies lack?   I would argue that it’s nothing that can’t be caught technology-wise, and the big auto makers have a lot of advantages that Tesla does not.  

I don’t disagree with you. Tesla however has had a major head start and are building an infrastructure that will support it’s self as opposed to other companies. I’m not suggesting the others won’t catch up, merely Tesla (nor Musk for that matter) isn’t going away anytime soon. 
    I won’t be surprised if they’re still around, albeit with a smaller market share.  They may even get acquired by one of the big three.

As for the CyberTruck model itself I’m a bit more skeptical.  That thing is ugly af.
  • @JohnInCarolina I know a lot has happened in a year but I don’t know if one of “the big three” can afford Tesla. And as far as production of ev coming out of China I am pretty sure Tesla is already making cars in China, not sure if the big three are in that market.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• The big three fell behind by pumping out gas guzzlers while fuel was cheap, kinda short sighted if you ask me.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @JohnInCarolina I know a lot has happened in a year but I don’t know if one of “the big three” can afford Tesla. And as far as production of ev coming out of China I am pretty sure Tesla is already making cars in China, not sure if the big three are in that market.

I’m not saying it’ll happen tomorrow, I just see it as a possibility sometime in the future.  

As for the other automakers in China, here’s just a snippet of one recent report on Ford:

• It’s hard to say what will happen on the future, I just wouldn’t bet against Musk. I’m holding out for a truck powered by fusion with a 8’ bed and retractable tonneau cover.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• It’s hard to say what will happen on the future, I just wouldn’t bet against Musk. I’m holding out for a truck powered by fusion with a 8’ bed and retractable tonneau cover.
    If he starts making EV trucks with smokers built into them he will regain my trust.
  • Wheres the god dang Nissan Murano convertible everyone's been going on about? 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Hiding behind the bass boat😃
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,808
    edited December 2022
    Wheres the god dang Nissan Murano convertible everyone's been going on about? 
    The donk wheels suit it well, don’t you think?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,510
    ^^^^ That is one ugly vehicle.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,138
    lousubcap said:
    ^^^^ That is one ugly vehicle.  
    I find it kind of cute.  I appreciate when someone goes all in.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• I forget who it was who was focused on the PT Cruiser; but I just happened to come across this internet photo yesterday and had to share.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010
    Oof-dah.

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you can be one of the first to make something new or your product starts a trend, you can rake it in.  But the long game will reveal if they can stay fresh and efficient.
    edited December 2022

#NASDAQ: RIVN
    #short
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Elon will just buy back more of the stock at a discounted price.
  • Elon will just buy back more of the stock at a discounted price.
    It's funny but since I posted the above TSLA is down another 20%.  Pretty soon he'll be able to buy back Twitter stock at bargain-basement prices.  That guy Musk, he's a genius.  

The folks who shorted TSLA when Musk acquired Twitter have raked in something like $15B.  
  • billt01 said:

#NASDAQ: RIVN
    #short
    I don't know if you're trying to give me stock tips or what there Bill, but you'll forgive me if I don't listen to the Shiba guy for financial advice.