Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pandemic updates 2.0

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think Moderna just started a trial with a new vax targeting the latest variants.
    whatever Carry 
    #6G
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    They've found polio in wastewater in two separated counties in NY state, and one kid battling it.  I thought that was a required vaccination, like smallpox; am I mistaken, or has the country changed for the worse?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    A music director from my church back in the 70’s is on the way out from polio. He is 72 now and had polio as a child but got better, just needed a cane. The effects seem to rebound with age.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:
    They've found polio in wastewater in two separated counties in NY state, and one kid battling it.  I thought that was a required vaccination, like smallpox; am I mistaken, or has the country changed for the worse?  

Vaccine refusal was a thing prior to COVID. Crunchy granola type folks believing that vaccines cause autism, etc. People can opt out for religious reasons, etc.

IIRC, that child was not vaccinated.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    Botch said:

Vaccine refusal was a thing prior to COVID. Crunchy granola type folks believing that vaccines cause autism, etc. People can opt out for religious reasons, etc.

IIRC, that child was not vaccinated.

ny has a home school loophole for vaccines as well. probably most states as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    Fauci’s sheep be pushing this next.

• caliking
    Options
    That's pretty funny.

But, what's your point?

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    Got the Moderna bivalent jab this morning.  If availability is lacking in your area give CVS Pharmacy a look, they seem to have all the stock in my neck of the woods.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Got the Moderna bivalent jab this morning.  If availability is lacking in your area give CVS Pharmacy a look, they seem to have all the stock in my neck of the woods.

watching the covid map and im still in a low risk. will keep watching til things change
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dbCooper said:

watching the covid map and im still in a low risk. will keep watching til things change
    If you wait until that map changes, good chance it will be too late.  At minimum, I suggest contacting your own Doc to see what they recommend.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    end of july was my last visit, was told not to worry about it yet. i talk to an older RN up the camp every week to every other that handles the older generation, no real problems there right now. was surprised to see all the plexiglass barriers come down a few weeks back, but im still watching,  my business is still fairly locked down to visitors but who knows.  i did got within a mile of a boat this weekend.  your area looks to be going south but the patient count is still way down
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    end of july was my last visit, was told not to worry about it yet. i talk to an older RN up the camp every week to every other that handles the older generation, no real problems there right now. was surprised to see all the plexiglass barriers come down a few weeks back, but im still watching,  my business is still fairly locked down to visitors but who knows.  i did got within a mile of a boat this weekend.  your area looks to be going south but the patient count is still way down
    Yes, my mother (who lives down here) just got it. Not too bad of a case, but she was fully vaxxed and boosted.  Said it was like a mild flu.  

They just announced omicron-boosters being available here.  I signed up and will get one next month.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    All boosters going forward are the bivalent ones.  You shouldn’t be able to get one of the old boosters any longer.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    I'm on the calendar for the latest covid juice this Wednesday.  Never met a shot I didn't like.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Yes, my mother (who lives down here) just got it. Not too bad of a case, but she was fully vaxxed and boosted.  Said it was like a mild flu.  

They just announced omicron-boosters being available here.  I signed up and will get one next month.

glad she came out of it ok,  the very few cases im hearing are about the same
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm on the calendar for the latest covid juice this Wednesday.  Never met a shot I didn't like.  

looking forward to fifty or so novocaine shots in my mouth, going to hate everyone of them............
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:

looking forward to fifty or so novocaine shots in my mouth, going to hate everyone of them............
    Yikes!  I am not a fan of those either.  Sometimes it seems like the dentists are all too eager to inflict pain...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    You should ask if they can put you "under" for the procedure(s).  Must be some protracted work right there.  Dentist need to put someone thru college?? =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Yikes!  I am not a fan of those either.  Sometimes it seems like the dentists are all too eager to inflict pain...

she added 2 upper wisdom teeth pulled to help with an under the gum deep cleaning, then said get the third one done as well, thankfully i was born with just three. the whole upper palate gets peppered with shots then the gum lines for a deep cleaning. i think her feet rise off the floor during the cleaning. i almost want to say, give me the pain and skip the novocaine which ive done before with a nerve hanging out from a broken tooth.........
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You should ask if they can put you "under" for the procedure(s).  Must be some protracted work right there.  Dentist need to put someone thru college?? =)

well she went.....in croatia of all places
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    One of my un vaccinated aunts has Covid for the second time. I told Mom that my sympathies were lacking. Some people you just can’t reach.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    One of my un vaccinated aunts has Covid for the second time. I told Mom that my sympathies were lacking. Some people you just can’t reach.
    Yeah, because no one that has a vaxx ever gets Covid. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Yes I was vaxxed and got Covid in July 2022. I had a mind fever for 2 days and a runny nose for another two. My cousin who wasn’t vaccinated didn’t last 2 days in the hospital before they pulled the plug. She probably obeyed her husband and that church that they went to. I’m sure that the music was nice at her funeral.
  • caliking
    Options
    Yes I was vaxxed and got Covid in July 2022. I had a mind fever for 2 days and a runny nose for another two. My cousin who wasn’t vaccinated didn’t last 2 days in the hospital before they pulled the plug. She probably obeyed her husband and that church that they went to. I’m sure that the music was nice at her funeral.
     I'm sorry you lost your cousin. That's not the way to learn a lesson. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    caliking said:
     I'm sorry you lost your cousin. That's not the way to learn a lesson. 
    Oh I had been vaccinated since March 2021. As a result my case in 2022 was no worse than a cold. 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    It’s now official.  The Pandemic is OVER.  Joe announced it on 60 minutes last night!
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    There’s a little more than that sound bite in his message— but I don’t think the timing of that statement was appropriate on his part at all. We are in a lull but some numbers are too high. For example, the local childrens hospitals here have recently been at almost full levels (that they never were before Covid) and the ERs have long waits often but it’s not readily attributable to Covid.  Would have to dig in on home zip codes and so much more to really assess Covid population numbers, if people are avoiding early care and symptoms for basically any illness, etc—  and nobody’s doing that analysis. 

In my opinion it’s still best to get the booster and a flu shot to lessen the impact of an infection or flu and hopefully lessen contagious time periods. That would have been a better message— to say high vaccine and booster rates would knock this thing down to really low levels. I am not a doctor nor pretend to be an expert.