Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Imperial Wagyu Brisket Results

Options
I bought a Wagyu ribeye section and a couple of briskets from a local supplier to try vs ordering online.  They were considerably cheaper than online prices but still double the price of prime.  I posted a report on the steaks (excellent but not sure I can justify double the price of prime).  So Thursday night I pulled an all nighter to smoke a Wagyu and a prime brisket along with ribs and assorted other goodies.  After all it was my birthday.  Took lots of advance planning to have my birthday fall on Friday the 13, 2020. Yuck!  The Wagyu brisket was absolutely a 10.  Incredible!!  I use Harry Soo’s method of starting out at 200 degrees for 6 or so hours then ramp up the temp gradually.  I wrapped in butcher paper to push through the stall, made an absolute dripping greasy mess.  Still came out with a soggy bark.  Put it back on for 10 minutes and dried out bark perfectly.  Apologize for no money shot.  Honey bourbon and greasy fingers got in the way.  An excellent cook and birthday even if it was Friday the 13th, 2020.
Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Beautiful meat banquet. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great post and happy belated birthday. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    Options
    Nice!!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Great post.  Thanks!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Congrats on the successful completion of another lap of the sun.  Great cook right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! Looks great!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Money_Hillbilly Great results right there!

what temp was the brisket when you pulled it off?  I’ve heard the wagyu cooks much faster but you should look at a lower finish temp.    What are your thoughts?   I’ll keep snooping around on here for answers too.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @thetrim I probed this one at 195 and it was butter. I did a prime with it and the Wagyu finished a little before the prime but not much different since the prime went to 200.  I am doing a 22lb Wagyu tonight and I have no idea how long it will take or what temp to expect it to finish.  It is long and skinny and wouldn’t fit in a standard steam table pan without propping it up in the center. It is well marbled so I am hoping it’s as good as the last one. I normally start at 200 for a few hours then ramp up but I need this one for 7PM tomorrow so I am not staying up to play with it.  Flame boss is running the show until early tomorrow.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I have one going as well.  Thanks for the info and good luck on #2
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95