Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone tried pasture raised chickens?

Options
An ad for this company popped up on my Facebook feed, and it made me curious...any tried pasture raised chickens, and if so is it worth it...or just "chicken"?

https://cooksventure.com/ 

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    There is a difference. Prices are inline with a local farm. I’ll typically pay $20 for 3.5-4 lb bird
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    While I agree there is a difference, I don’t find the spread to be as significant as that of choice and prime beef. 

Greensboro, NC
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Define pasture.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Define pasture.
    I am wondering if they are calling pasture raised what we refer to as free range. Haven’t read the article so it’s just a shot in the dark. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Pasture in my example is a dedicated space where Turkey’s and Chickens roam the grass lands. Guarded by a couple of Great Pyrenees of course
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    followed the link, and it looks legit. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    SGH our laying hens are free range with a automatic coop door that opens at sunrise and closes at sunset.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    I don't know about free range chickens, but I specifically dislike grass fed beef.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I've tried raising my own non-GMO fed chickens that had access to pasture. 
    Reading the FAQs on the cooks venture website, they are doing everything they can to check all the boxes for the discerning buyer.  

The logistics of what they do is extremely labor intensive.  The breed(s) they are selling require you to raise them 2-3x longer than store bought birds.  Living 2-3x longer, they have that much longer to be taken by a predator as they free range. They have that much longer to get sick and die.  They have that much longer to catch some disease that wipes out the flock.  You pay for that with each bird. 

It is one of those rabbit holes you can go down.  Rabbit holes are almost always a lot more work, a lot more money, and most of the time worth it.  You come out with the perspective that you don't mind paying someone $25 for a whole chicken knowing they "did it right." I know @The Cen-Tex Smoker @20stone @caliking @Foghorn @Sea2Ski and more have gone down the road of better tasting animals that are raised right.  You get to see the process for yourself and know things are being done the best way possible and that the animals are respected and treated humanely.  

I documented my progress here.  It's a bit TLDR but I learned a lot. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209038/from-egg-to-egg/p1

My advice would be to buy one or two whole chickens from them and also buy one or two whole chickens from the local grocery store.  Cook them at the same time, the same way.  Taste for yourself.  You will only be out a little bit of money.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That reminds me I haven’t seen spooks in a couple days...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• UplandEgger
    Options
    If yuh want to buy a really quality chicken, buy one that’s been air cooled; it’s the “hanger aged” equivalent for chicken. 

I’ve raised and slaughtered my own chickens before; the broilers get enormous fast; and GMO or non GMO or pasture raised or not grow really fast and don’t have as “chicken-ey” a taste.  The cockerels that I butchered had meat that was tougher, but the stock was remarkable, and cooked properly (Chicken Roma) are amazing.  
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Given a less intensive feed regime and more exercise, a free range chicken will grow more slowly, so you get better quality, tastier meat.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @CPARKTX2, I bought my Turkey from this texas farm via Wheatsville Coop
    https://www.whitehurstfarm.com/

Their turkeys are sold out (when buying on their website,  not via Wheatsville) but looks like they deliver lots of other poultry, etc., to your home.

They have some very pretty chickens on their website... 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    You sure they didn't just mis-spell "pasteurized"?  :tongue:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @kl8ton I think said it best with respect to taste and cost and why the price difference. There is a difference if you compare side by side as well as how it is prepared. Roasted you will see the biggest difference, chicken parm, not so much...  if you tried them, let us know your thoughts. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.