Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spinning Wings - the best

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I’m sorry to post this, but I after 3 cooks I can say with confidence that Rotisserie Wings are the best.  I bought the joetisserie thinking it would be cool & fun, but not expecting wing results significantly better, but they are.  Even low prep (partially frozen, dusted with corn starch & Voodoo rub) and an hour or so later had world class crispy smoked wings.  That is all. 
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• NDG
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Sorry chicken Shawarma pic snuck in - writing this In bed kinda half arse - shawarma was good And fun but honestly spinning shawarma it did Not make it significantly better.  Wings I can say that it is much better.  Ok bye.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • rekameohs
    Options
    NDG said:
    I’m sorry to post this, but I after 3 cooks I can say with confidence that Rotisserie Wings are the best.  I bought the joetisserie thinking it would be cool & fun, but not expecting wing results significantly better, but they are.  Even low prep (partially frozen, dusted with corn starch & Voodoo rub) and an hour or so later had world class crispy smoked wings.  That is all.

As they used to say on AOL - "me too".  Not sure I will ever do them any other way.

I have the same basket.  All I do is dust with corn starch and let air dry in the fridge for a few hours.   As a comparison, the next run will be with the 50-hour wings.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Nice. Did you have lump below or pushed to one side, temp?
    canuckland
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    Could not agree more.  We went from making wings once a month to pretty much once a week.  My wife has been hoarding wings like people were hoarding toilet paper.  She's got 28 lbs in the garage freezer for me to cook.

The other thing to try in the basket that is so simple and so good is sausage and veggies.  I cut up smoked sausage and then throw in baby potatoes, green beans, and cut up peppers and onions.  Spin that at 400 till potatoes are done.  It is awesome.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Do you thing the egg adds anything here, or is it primarily the use of a rotisserie?  Do you think rotisserie on a kettle would yield similar results?
  • Legume
    Options
    Could not agree more.  We went from making wings once a month to pretty much once a week.  My wife has been hoarding wings like people were hoarding toilet paper.  She's got 28 lbs in the garage freezer for me to cook.

The other thing to try in the basket that is so simple and so good is sausage and veggies.  I cut up smoked sausage and then throw in baby potatoes, green beans, and cut up peppers and onions.  Spin that at 400 till potatoes are done.  It is awesome.
    This sounds like something I do in a ci pan once in a while where everything gets some soak in nice sausage juice.  Better in rotisserie?
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    Never tried that, but everything crisps up nicely in the rotisserie without getting too charred.
  • Legume
    Options
    Y’all need to leave me alone with the rotisserie posts.  I really kind of want one.
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    Legume said:
    Y’all need to leave me alone with the rotisserie posts.  I really kind of want one.
    At first I thought it was a gimmick and not worth it, but I bought it in a moment of boredom during lockdown.  Haven't regretted it once, except maybe realizing now that when I build my permanent egging space I'm now going to have to run electrical to it.
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. You haven't had perfect wings till you've done this...
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Legume said:
    Do you thing the egg adds anything here, or is it primarily the use of a rotisserie?  Do you think rotisserie on a kettle would yield similar results?
    I was wondering the same thing
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Well, you inspired me!

Dizzy Pig Spicy Dizzy Pig, in the fridge for a couple of hours.  Rotated at 325 - 400 for about an hour.  Sautéed Some Franks Wings sauce with honey and red pepper.  Finished wings in a bowl with the sauce and served.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
     How many wings can you tumble in there?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• EzraBrooks
    Options
    I can fit 6 lbs with a little extra space.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Dang dude. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Ok, I'm convinced - next purchase will be that basket.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I can fit 6 lbs with a little extra space.

Sweet that setup looks amazing!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Legume said:
    On a kettle it will yield very similar results. The same holds true for a drum smoker, WSM or various other grill/smokers. 
    Back in the 70’s these cheapos was extremely popular. However they produced excellent grub. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think it will produce excellent results on a kettle.  I use one on my hasty bake oven and get great results.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SGH said:
    Legume said:
    On a kettle it will yield very similar results. The same holds true for a drum smoker, WSM or various other grill/smokers. 
    Back in the 70’s these cheapos was extremely popular. However they produced excellent grub. 

Weber Kettle wings yesterday 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    Options
    Yea spin it over any fire - it’s just super super easy within the egg.
    Columbus, OH