Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Happy 4th of July OT

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989

"Each year we celebrate the 4th of July as America’s birthday. But with all the fun and festivities, we sometimes forget what that date really means. 

It’s not the date when the British surrendered at Yorktown in our Revolutionary War. That’s October 19.  Or when they formally recognized our sovereignty. That’s September 3. It’s not even the date of our Constitution. That’s September 17.

Instead, we look to July 4th, 1776 because that’s when our founders adopted the Declaration of Independence. First and foremost, we celebrate because the Declaration’s concepts and ideas were truly revolutionary. 

And you can see it with the first words of the Preamble:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

At a time when kings and queens ruled the world, Thomas Jefferson’s words were explosive. They said that liberty and freedom weren’t rights to be won in battle or granted by a king—they were God-given.

It reads, “with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”

In 1776, our founders put at risk everything they had and everything they hoped to be. And they put it up against an empire."

This was from a speech delivered at US embassy in Tanzania, in 2010.

The president of Tanzania was present during this speech, and was ready to give his. As he stood to address those in attendance, he folded the piece of paper that held his words, and placed it in his pocket.

He looked at everyone, smiling, he told his audience, "I was prepared to speak, deliver a long message."

Then he continued "However, it is simple; we want what you have." That was all he had to say.

In these uncertain times, it is up to us for the direction of our country, not those sitting in the seats of DC. They are there because we put them there. 

We have the right, a "God given right" to have our voices represented. All voices of every American. We must remember that, and always work to maintain that right.

This country is not about the economy. It is about you and I, the rights and the freedom of every American.

Never forget, We Are The Government.

Have a happy Independence Day. You deserve it.

Stay safe, Stay well.

Peace.

🎆🎇✨🇺🇸🇺🇸✨🎇🎆

✌✌🏼✌🏼✌🏽✌🏾✌🏿

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited July 2020
    Options
     Well said Ron and a raised glass to you sir, , Happy forth to you and yours.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron.....thank you. Ok to open the wine now?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Nice post @YukonRon.  I'm holding out til tomorrow when the Day really hits home.  

"To drink all day you've gotta start in the morning."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Nice post @YukonRon. Hope everyone has a safe and happy July 4th weekend! Looking forward to seeing the good eats to come. I’ll be doing the peach ribs! 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Thanks and Haaly Fourth @YukonRon

true story , I love Linda with all my heart and soul, but a simple person she is.....Several years ago we were driving down the highway on a beautiful Fourth of July morning taking in the scenery , she broke the scilence with “ the fourth just isn’t what it used to be” taking this opportunity to seize the moment I asked her “ do you even know what the Fourth of July is about “ ....without pause, and her eyes fixed forward she said “ of course I do, that’s the day George Washington discovered America”

My favorite Linda story ever
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon Thanks for posting. We must be eternally hopeful that together we can shape a better future for all of us. 
    And you are right the “we” in the previous sentence is not the government - it is me and my neighbors. We may disagree with our neighbors on what “better” looks like, but hopefully we can find a way to work together in peace. An important line in your piece is the “mutually pledge” part - we choose to work together as citizens. 
    Have a great holiday with those you care about. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
  • JKellar
    JKellar Posts: 91
    Options
    Happy 4th Everyone! Great post

• SciAggie
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @buzd504 Good one...Punctuation matters. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Huh, the mailman just went by, I thought today was a Guv'mint holiday.
    Well, tomorrow's the Fourth, guess they get tomorrow off.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    Options
    Happy Birthday (tomorrow) @YukonRon I marked 59 orbits around the sun yesterday. Am actually celebrating tonight with two close friends. Be well. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Happy Bucking Firthday @YukonRon @sciaggie
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Happy birthday @SciAggie and @YukonRon! Thank you for contributing to this board the way you do. Enjoy your weekends! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @buzd504 Good one...Punctuation matters. 
    Let’s eat Grandma!
    Let’s eat, Grandma! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Congrats on the successful completion of those laps of the sun to @YukonRon and @SciAggie.  Here's to many more!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yes, @YukonRon!  Our rights come from God NOT from government!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    Options
    buzd504 said:

You accidentally put a question mark whether the period goes.
    Another weak moment in my life of spellin, punctuation and dangling participle mishaps. I am so ashamed. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    buzd504 said:

You accidentally put a question mark whether the period goes.
    Another weak moment in my life of spellin, punctuation and dangling participle mishaps. I am so ashamed. 
    Not really. It is now time. Started last night, actually.

My beautiful wife is making me an apple pie today.

Like @lousubcap has mentioned, you can't drink all day, unless you start in the morning.

Cheers everyone. Have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Happy Birthday (tomorrow) @YukonRon I marked 59 orbits around the sun yesterday. Am actually celebrating tonight with two close friends. Be well. 
    I knew this was brother Ron’s Burfday.....I missed it was yours as well. I wish you the best in celebrating yours with us all on this special day. 

May the four winds blow you safely home.

• northGAcock
    Options

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Well said Ron. Happy birthday Merica, @SciAggie and @YukonRon
    May God bless all the above. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Options

Cool dog.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Happy Birthday Ron!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    From one firecracker to another plus being named Ron as well! A double coincidence, huh?  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Happy 4th!!!

Nice post @YukonRon those words have an even more meaning today.

Options
    RRP said:
    From one firecracker to another plus being named Ron as well! A double coincidence, huh?  =)
    This is a pretty cool occurance for sure.
    Happy Birthday @RRP.
    Hoping you enjoy this day, for many years to come. You are a very important part of this group and many have learned so much from you, I know I have.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky