Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Longest cook on a Xlarge?

Options
What's the longest cook that you've done without added lump?
It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
Wi

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    18 hours with lump left to burn
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    I had a Boston Butt go 23 hours once on a LBGE.
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I’ve done a 20 hr before 
    Greensboro, NC
  • 4littleeggs
    Options
    23 hours any lump left?
    It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
    Wi
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    My very first cooks on my XL went 30 hours. Butts over brisket then slow roasted a couple whole chickens.
    Lump quality and cook temp plays a major roll in this.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    20 hours on my large easy with lump to spare....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2020
    Options
    XL, 18 hours first cook, 5 hours second cook 3.5 hours 3rd cook. All from the same initial load, still had lump left over. Time does not include lighting, coming to temp or shut down.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I’ve never had to add lump to finish a cook on the XL, or the L for that matter. Well or any size. I think when you close the dome, lump multiplies somehow. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Longest cook I’ve been able to do on my large was around 15hrs or so. Had lump left but the fire had burned In an odd pattern so it didn’t ignite about a 1/4 of the lump. I take that back, there was probably a couple handfuls of lump left. Not 1/4

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you take the time to stack the lump in a certain way you can probably get 24hrs out of 1 large egg fully stacked. The key would be to fill the bottom with larger chunks and gradually work to smaller pieces further towards the grate. That would help keep it from collapsing. Also airflow is the biggest component to how long it will last. More airflow, the hotter you get, the faster it burns.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I'm convinced that my XL could easily go 48 hours at 250 or so.  I've loaded it up to the platesetter on a Friday afternoon, cooked burgers at 450, then closed the vents down to get it down to 250 and put on a brisket about 10 PM, pulled the brisket about noon, cooked some ribs, and then opened up the vents to get it to 350 and did wings.  I started cooking at 5 PM on Friday and finished at 7 PM on Saturday with about 30 minutes at 450 and a little over an hour at 350.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Longest cook I’ve been able to do on my large was around 15hrs or so. Had lump left but the fire had burned In an odd pattern so it didn’t ignite about a 1/4 of the lump. I take that back, there was probably a couple handfuls of lump left. Not 1/4
    You’re not putting in enough lump IMHO. I can go close to 24 hours - maybe more -  on the large with no careful stacking. I dump it in and light it.  If you’re only getting 15 hours you’re not putting in enough fuel. 
    New Orleans LA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Big pork shoulder took 28 hours on my xl at 220 until internal temp of 190.  a tiny bit of lump left, like a half gallon volume. I piled it up for sausages direct the next day. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Longest I can recall on my Large...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you go low and slow direct you can go 2 to maybe 3 times longer than indirect. this was what i started with on a 16 hour butt cook and what was left after the cook going direct on a raised grid

DSC_0185jpg

DSC_0191jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it