Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket will likely be on the shortage list

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
I read this today. If this gets traction, we might soon be seeing shorter supplies of brisket too. Last time I was in Costco, there was only one full packer in the prime bin, and none in the choice. this was on Tuesday of this week, but they had ST of tri tip.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/skip-the-steak-buy-the-brisket-consumers-need-to-be-flexible-amid-beef-bottlenecks/ar-BB13JRSa?li=BBnbfcN&ocid=iehp

Stay safe
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My Costco last Monday only had ground beef, skirt steak, and some cut in store brisket flats. All other beef was gone and they had no raw chicken in the store. The pork was down to a couple loins, a decent amount of shoulders, and some baby backs but that was all in an end cap area so it was about a 3rd of what they would normally have. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @YukonRon -what follows is a post I served up on the "what are you buying now?" thread a couple of days ago:  
    "Yes the beef challenge is on.  When you have extremely limited selections on the SRF (no black grade briskets under 20 lbs as an indicator)  site and they are a cradle to grave operation, people are into hoarding.  I thought we were past that part of the curve but obviously missed the mark.  
    PSA- National Brisket Day is Thursday May 28, 2020.  Time to get focused with a meaningful diversion..."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    On Tuesday of this week, the only beef that our Costco had was ground. There was plenty of pork and chicken. We went back again on Thursday and Costco had the usual supply of beef but no pork other than bacon.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Read the other day how some beef producers are grinding up their nicest steaks into hamburger cuz there is such strong demand for cheaper cuts and that since so many restaurants are closed there is far less demand for the expensive cuts.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Sounds like all the justification I need to order another from SRF.  At least, that is what I plan to tell the wife.

Will report back soon...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - I hope you have a broader selection than what was up a couple of days ago.  And as you well know, "Better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission."  Good luck! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    If  the SRF brisket is not there, try the black grade beef ribs.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - I hope you have a broader selection than what was up a couple of days ago.  And as you well know, "Better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission."  Good luck! 
    I just ordered a lot of beef from them, but looks like they’re out of brisket Frank.  The end times is indeed here!  Sh!t
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I ordered two briskets from SRF two weeks back. They were both big boys > 18lbs. The small ones were already gone. None there today. Nor any SRF Black skirt steaks. Luckily, I've got some of those in the freezer.
    Mountain View, CA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Glad I've been curing my protein 

Beef was in low supply but I was able to snag an eye of Round and a bag of tri tip (6) 1 eye of Round for jerky 1 for Basturma ( pictured above) pork was low but snagged 6 pack of cushion

No Brisket at All
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Thankfully, the grocery store situation in my area has stabilized somewhat. The local Publix is reasonably stocked as far as meat goes. We have a Piggly Wiggly that has remained stocked throughout the crisis, granted you pay a premium for everything in the store, especially meat. 
    I'm sure the Costco is in sad shape inventory wise, but there are alternatives thankfully.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Glad I've been curing my protein 

Beef was in low supply but I was able to snag an eye of Round and a bag of tri tip (6) 1 eye of Round for jerky 1 for Basturma ( pictured above) pork was low but snagged 6 pack of cushion

No Brisket at All
    Hey man, not sure how to break this to you, but your meat is all moldy.   =)
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    At Costco and Sams club in Pittsburgh there has been no prime beef at all recently. And one choice brisket between both stores. Restaurant depot has no beef or pork at all. Only chicken. Visited all 3 today. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    We are ok with what we have in the freezer and I think we will be fine until the shortage gets worked out.

Hopefully.

Not political....just...

I really never thought America would be like this.

Lesson learned.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. That is one FUBAR mess. Interesting to see how long it will take to play out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker thanks for the article.  Gonna be a wild west ride til this stabilizes.  And who knows how long before that happens??
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • YukonRon
    Options

My day at the butcher.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Brisket is just shoe leather. A truckstop prime rib smothered in gravy is way better.... so I have been told. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Brisket is just shoe leather. A truckstop prime rib smothered in gravy is way better.... so I have been told. 
    Find me that truck stop.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Someone is going to be digging in SGH’s yard.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    when i bought my egg in 2002 there was no packer briskets on the shelf up here, pretty much nothing has changed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Special: Food security in a pandemic, w/Sara Menker of Gro Intelligence
    Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman

Will the U.S. run out of food? Can the world's food supply chains survive coronavirus? Sara Menker, founder and CEO of Gro Intelligence, which parses 650 trillion agricultural data points daily, shares eye-opening insights based on real-time facts. Learn about the hidden forces that impact what we see on shelves -- and why we might be worrying about the wrong things.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Find me that truck stop.
    It’s in the middle of an Iowa cornfield. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hey, at least I live in cattle country. I have a neighbor that just sold some feeder steers for $0.80 a pound. I told him if needs be I'd buy a whole steer and break it down myself.

At the store in Coleman there were several briskets - if you want to buy a select grade brisket for $80-$90 - no thanks.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

Will the U.S. run out of food? Can the world's food supply chains survive coronavirus? Sara Menker, founder and CEO of Gro Intelligence, which parses 650 trillion agricultural data points daily, shares eye-opening insights based on real-time facts. Learn about the hidden forces that impact what we see on shelves -- and why we might be worrying about the wrong things.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

I think the tools and kitchens for cooking will be making some changes to facilitate the new forms of packaging we may start seeing
    as a result of redistribution due to the change of commercial use.

Meat cleavers anyone?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky