Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gauntlet... thrown!! Bring out ALL of your cookers!!

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @"The Cen-Tex Smoker" nice naan hack, plated pic looks killer.
    What he said. Great meal to welcome the progeny home for a spell.

And don't let us stop you , if you feel like digging a hole in the yard and lighting a fire in it. Just don't forget where you buried the brisket.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @Foghorn -  Great looking bark and that is a healthy sized brisket right there.  Way to run unassisted.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thought this would be a good place to post this cook. Cast iron indoors. And I very rarely clean fish whole but just felt like going old school. It’s been years-Fried bluegill 

I decided to fillet the remaining 16 and they were so meaty that I was able to slice off a little excess chunk that I couldn’t get with the traditional cut. Will definitely try this again with other fish.
    This was dinner for me the other night. And yes the wife is home. She just had to deal with me frying fish inside. And she survived 😁

Looks terrific. It's been way too long since I've had bluegill. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Foghorn -  Great looking bark and that is a healthy sized brisket right there.  Way to run unassisted.  Great eats await.  
    Thanks @lousubcap.  It's huge.  It was 19.9 pounds before I trimmed it - but it didn't require a lot of trimming.  I didn't really want one that big, but there was only one prime brisket that was smaller and it didn't feel very good.  There were a bunch over 20 pounds.  I've giving most of this to a couple that have bought meals for the in-house healthcare teams at our hospital for the last 2 Sundays - to simultaneously show appreciation for the providers and to provide some business for locally owned restaurants.  I'll keep part of the point to make some burnt ends later this week.  I went in hoping to find a 12 pounder.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks @lousubcap.  It's huge.  It was 19.9 pounds before I trimmed it - but it didn't require a lot of trimming.  I didn't really want one that big, but there was only one prime brisket that was smaller and it didn't feel very good.  There were a bunch over 20 pounds.  I've giving most of this to a couple that have bought meals for the in-house healthcare teams at our hospital for the last 2 Sundays - to simultaneously show appreciation for the providers and to provide some business for locally owned restaurants.  I'll keep part of the point to make some burnt ends later this week.  I went in hoping to find a 12 pounder.  
    Great looking brisky, and great gesture. 

Making patties out of deconstructed masalawurst is a strong move. Would make killer burgers.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    #10 Gris is TCB 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    I know you will have to give it a test taste.  And that is a great move as noted by @caliking.  Way to come at it from a different direction.  It will be more than appreciated by the recipients.  Nicely done!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Classy move from a classy guy. Sometimes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I tried to replicate your method to the best of my ability - including how you light your fire with the chimney starter over oak chunks. It is for the hosts of the last sauscutapalooza. They rightfully recognized your brisket as the best they have ever eaten.  I think I overdid the rub. And my HEB didn’t have wagyu, so I “settled” for their Prime1.  Otherwise, it was as good as I can do. 

Final pic.  It looks really dry in the pic, but it is definitely very moist  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I tried to replicate your method to the best of my ability - including how you light your fire with the chimney starter over oak chunks. It is for the hosts of the last sauscutapalooza. They rightfully recognized your brisket as the best they have ever eaten.  I think I overdid the rub. And my HEB didn’t have wagyu, so I “settled” for their Prime1.  Otherwise, it was as good as I can do. 

Final pic.  It looks really dry in the pic, but it is definitely very moist  
    Looks awesome to me. Only difference between this one and that one is the one we cooked for them was done on the kbq over oak and mesquite. That does make a difference. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Man, the cooks just escalated around here. Woowzer...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Foghorn That baklava looks delicious. Are they difficult to make? 
    The brisket is impressive as well. Good eats. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Was about to put the ham in the kbq for the trifecta and the damn draft fan isn’t working. Audible to the bge to smoke the ham. 

And I forgot- I do have a Weber Jumbo Joe that I’ll need to put to work this week. Then dig a hole. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I see a “hole in the ground” sub-throwdown in the making...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    My wife’s a treasure. I think she had the idea first. She’s apparently trying to help...

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    My wife’s a treasure. I think she had the idea first. She’s apparently trying to help...

That made me chuckle.  I showed it to my wife.  She has offered to provide me similar help.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Foghorn That baklava looks delicious. Are they difficult to make? 
    The brisket is impressive as well. Good eats. 
    My daughter made the baklava.  It was a fair amount of work.  I helped shell the pistachios and she did the rest.  Lightly buttering - on both sides - every one of the 30 layers of phyllo dough seemed fairly tedious.  

As she was in the middle of it I made a run to get the brisket.  When I got home I told her that HEB still had packages of baklava for $4 (she had seen them about a week ago)  so I picked up a couple...  She didn't appreciate the humor...

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    edited April 2020
    Options

• caliking
    Options

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Some burgers on Easter. First for me
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Thought this would be a good place to post this cook. Cast iron indoors. And I very rarely clean fish whole but just felt like going old school. It’s been years-Fried bluegill 

I decided to fillet the remaining 16 and they were so meaty that I was able to slice off a little excess chunk that I couldn’t get with the traditional cut. Will definitely try this again with other fish.
    This was dinner for me the other night. And yes the wife is home. She just had to deal with me frying fish inside. And she survived 😁

Looks good! It’s been a while since I’ve had fried bluegill... when I was growing up I had a buddy that would eat the fins... he said they tasted like chips.
    LBGE
    AL
  • SciAggie
    Options
    caliking said:
    Okay... I’m somewhat late to my own party. 

WGA charcoal. 

Great little cooker. Superb design IMO. CL Austin find, $5, many many moons ago. Neglected for several years. Even used the charcoal briqs I found rattling around in it. 

Grilled some skrimp on it. Squid ink fettucine from scratch. Saffron and white wine sauce. 

Plating could have been better =)

Early anniversary dinner for caliqueen. I seriously have no idea how, or why, she’s put up with me for this long. 
    Will squid ink stain a wood work table when making fresh pasta? Should I mix in a bowl?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    SciAggie said:

CANCEL YOUR LIFE INSURANCE, STAT!!  And make sure she knows!   :o

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...