Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gauntlet... thrown!! Bring out ALL of your cookers!!

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Botch lol...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Recreated the Schinkennudeln we had in Germany during the EPCOT food and wine fest...didn’t quite have everything we needed but here is our rendition. It did not disappoint!

LBGE
    AL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I can barely keep up with the most excellent cooks being thrown down here...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    ... The funny part is I volunteered to pour it out. Thinking it was gonna save me. Should’ve chugged.

Good times =) To your credit, when’s the last time you had the honor of being thrown out of a place? You still got it. 

• caliking
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @SciAggie squid ink might stain a wood board. I kneaded the dough by hand in a steel bowl, and my hand was somewhat blackened afterwards. Washed off easily, but I wouldn’t chance it with a nice board. 

The flavor was wonderful. I’ve only eaten squid ink pasta once before, and don’t quite remember what it tasted like that time. This time I noted the briny, complex flavor I kept hearing about. The aroma of the  boiling pasta was itself worth the effort. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Cool cook! The tandoor looks like a lot of fun. 
    Thanks for the advice about the pasta. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Awesome thread!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    caliking said:
    I can barely keep up with the most excellent cooks being thrown down here...
    You’re not slacking either. Caliqueen’s dhal and some of that naan would be a feast.
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Options
    Medium was on duty for Easter doing the double smoked ham. The whole family had something on the plate, daughter made the deviled eggs, son made the beer bread and the wife made the Broccoli. Good times and and good food.

• caliking
    Options
    Thumbs up, @smak !

Looks like you shallow fried the wings on the FireDisc? I wouldn’t have thought of that. Stolen! :)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    Killing it every night.  Great looking cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Used the cooktop tonight.  

Harissa Shrimp and Chickpeas using homemade harissa. 

Flavor was a little bland but I’ve got ideas for the next batch.  
    That’s what I’m talking about! Awesome. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    @Mattman3969 homemade harissa has been on my list for too long. That’s a lovely dish. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smak said:
    Pulled out a couple of tools for this cook:

Flat iron steak on the Large 
    Baked potatoes on the Small
    Chicken Wings - Sous vide and finished on the FireDisc.
    Brussel Sprouts and Shishito Peppers cooked inside.

Sadly the Anova sous vide died right at the end of this cook. It will be replaced fairly soon.

I seemed to have missed getting action shots of the eggs.

I had the same Anova crap out on me as well. Replaced with a Joule and prefer it anyway so all good. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And forgot to add sous vide to the list of cookers. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Was about to put the ham in the kbq for the trifecta and the damn draft fan isn’t working. Audible to the bge to smoke the ham. 

And I forgot- I do have a Weber Jumbo Joe that I’ll need to put to work this week. Then dig a hole. 
    I talked to Bill at KBQ Monday and he is sending me a reconditioned Control box under warranty no questions asked. I’m sending him my old one to rebuild for someone else if needed. Cool dude, great service. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Dang, if we count that way I’ll be at this until June. Oh well...
    Dutch ovens and potjie pots count as cookers. Okie dokie. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Dang, if we count that way I’ll be at this until June. Oh well...
    Dutch ovens and potjie pots count as cookers. Okie dokie. 
    All I have is time right now so...
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Quiche in the Dutch oven. We’ll see...
    #CoronaQuiche

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    #CoronaQuiche Broccoli & Ham. I made small servings in an effort to conserve food. This is forcing me to learn ratios and proportions so that I can scale recipes. This is a vintage 14" oven that was given to me by a neighboring rancher. It was his mother's. I figure it dates from at least 1900. There isn't a mark on it anywhere.
    This was actually really good.

Love this
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @SciAggie - bad a$$ cook right there.   

Isn’t it hard toning back the quantities? Hopefully that part will stick with all of us once this crap is over.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Mattman3969 It’s really been fun learning to scale recipes. It’s making me a better cook because I’m being forced to learn why recipes work the way they do. 
    And the serving sizes and portion control are good exercises. I’m trying to think more in terms of appropriate servings and not wasting food. 
    On a side note the camp oven really worked well for this because the oven keeps things moist and the heat was nice and gentle. The custard in the quiche was nice and silky. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    And here I thought that was a 14" quiche in the DO...

I absolutely respect the thought of  scaling (down) recipes as needed. Mom always cooked for the whole village, because she couldn't bear the thought of running out of food. Pops can't bear the thought of throwing food away, because he remembers times of famine. Not kidding. Their respective mindsets were kinda born of similar circumstances, but took different paths.

But I LOVE quiche. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking I tend to forget - these camp ovens are fairly fuel efficient. It didn’t take many briquettes, the cook chamber retains moisture, and the heat is even and gentle (good for egg custards).
    The food has no idea where the heat comes from - the camp oven is just a small oven...
    Anyway, it was fun to drag it out and see if I could still run it. 

It sounds like your mom and dad had interesting experiences and shared some great stories. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon