Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - How are you spending your time “social distancing?”

Options

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Some of the restaurants around here are going to great lengths to exercise care and reassure people that the take-out is safe.  Curb side pick up only, masked workers handling the food with gloves, all sorts of extra precautions.  I have no idea how much if any is actually effective but the effort is notable.  I suppose they feel like they don't have a choice if they want to keep people buying their food.  
    Article on food safety:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html
    Mountain View, CA
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Image may contain possible text that says The kid I hired to clean up poop in my yard just realized I dont have a dog outoftoiletpaper
    What’s the benefit or pooping outside versus in the toilet which is likely right next to a shower? I guess you could rub your butt on the grass like a dog with worms.  =)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    But are they changing gloves after each money exchange and bag hand off? That's the stuff I worry about more than their temperature. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Some of the restaurants around here are going to great lengths to exercise care and reassure people that the take-out is safe.  Curb side pick up only, masked workers handling the food with gloves, all sorts of extra precautions.  I have no idea how much if any is actually effective but the effort is notable.  I suppose they feel like they don't have a choice if they want to keep people buying their food.  
    A journo here showed what the Chinese were doing for take out. The temperature of the chef, the packer and the delivery person were taken and written on the bag.
    I can only imagine the screaming about privacy here if someone tried to institute that.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    A journo here showed what the Chinese were doing for take out. The temperature of the chef, the packer and the delivery person were taken and written on the bag.

Chef: 37C
    Thermometer type: Rectal
    Options

Lit said:
    Cornholio said:
    Took my son out for a “trail” ride, still getting his feet wet. 

Check for a local skate park. We have a really cool park that has a great section for younger children and it’s free. Been taking my kids since my boy was like 18 months. 
    My son was on a Spherovelo (little balance bike with balls instead of wheels) before he could walk then a balance bike. Got him his current Early Rider belt drive bike when he was 3 and he learned how to ride that by the time he was 3.5. Most his friends that are older than him have 30lb training wheeled bikes from Walmart which are counter productive to learning. 

Now his sister has moved from the Spherovelo to his old balance bike. Hoping to have him on a mountain bike by next summer so he can start hitting some bike parks like Snow Summit and Mammoth. 

I just meant he is getting his feet wet with trails that have any climbing involved. Skate parks with kid friendly areas are definitely good for building skills. Looks like you’ve got a little shredder there. 

Here’s my daughter on a neighborhood cruise yesterday. Being stuck at home has really pushed her riding with all our outside time.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    Eoin said:

Thermometer brand: Wireless Meater with WiFi  =)
    canuckland
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Eoin said:

I guess that’d be better than a coworker using a Thermopop every time. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    This is the best I’ve seen so far. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    This is the best I’ve seen so far. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I started cooking my bats and making sure they’re all at 160 internal w my Thermapen.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Eoin said:

I guess that’d be better than a coworker using a Thermopop every time. 

"Thermopoop"
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Eoin said:
    I like my chef at a nice medium rare.  Say 125 prior to resting.

BTW, I received direction from work to not make light of COVID-19, so I apologise if my way of dealing with stressful situations, i.e. with humour, offends you.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    There’s something about folks in hazmat suits bringing out the food that makes me not want to eat it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Eoin said:

BTW, I received direction from work to not make light of COVID-19, so I apologise if my way of dealing with stressful situations, i.e. with humour, offends you.
    Was it just you or a company wide policy? It'd be awesome if you got singled out.
    I, for one, appreciate gallows humor. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Day 6 and the natives are getting restless. Kids are starting to bicker with each other. Had to give them manual labor to work it ot of them.

Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My wife asked if we could dig out the PS2. Which I honestly didn't even know we had here at the house. I thought it might be back at my parents house or one of my sister's had it. 

Sure enough it didn't want to work after years of sitting in a box. Next thing I know I'm two hours into tearing apart a PS2 trying to figure out the error disc reading. I was fortunate enough to get it back up and running once again. I cleaned the lens and adjusted the tracks on the dvd player which was giving me the error disc reading. 

My wife can play PS2 now. This makes me want to go find the Nintendo 64 and see if I can get that going for some James Bond action!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My wife asked if we could dig out the PS2. Which I honestly didn't even know we had here at the house. I thought it might be back at my parents house or one of my sister's had it. 

Sure enough it didn't want to work after years of sitting in a box. Next thing I know I'm two hours into tearing apart a PS2 trying to figure out the error disc reading. I was fortunate enough to get it back up and running once again. I cleaned the lens and adjusted the tracks on the dvd player which was giving me the error disc reading. 

My wife can play PS2 now. This makes me want to go find the Nintendo 64 and see if I can get that going for some James Bond action!

I think you need to get out the N64. I need to find some legit Nintendo controllers with tight thumb sticks.  I bought some knock offs and they are terrible. They make bond impossible to play.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    WeberWho said:

I think you need to get out the N64. I need to find some legit Nintendo controllers with tight thumb sticks.  I bought some knock offs and they are terrible. They make bond impossible to play.  
    Oh for sure with the controllers. I always felt that the N64 had the most comfortable controller. 

The N64 is around somewhere. We pulled it out a few years ago as my wife was talking smack on how she could beat me in Wave Race. I proved her wrong. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    @WeberWho @kl8ton - too funny, my wife and I had the same conversation about pulling out the PS2 last week.  Bond Everything or Nothing has a pretty good team mission set that was pretty fun to play together, we would have to play on easy these days.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    Eoin said:

Was it just you or a company wide policy? It'd be awesome if you got singled out.
    This time I was not singled out by the policy, but I did get an honorable mention by my department manager.

I did get a company policy once.  I used to honk and wave every morning at protesters outside my company.  After a week a policy came out to not engage them.  My supervisor at the time pulled me aside and said I needed to pay special attention because I was the reason! 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Eoin said:

This time I was not singled out by the policy, but I did get an honorable mention by my department manager.

I did get a company policy once.  I used to honk and wave every morning at protesters outside my company.  After a week a policy came out to not engage them.  My supervisor at the time pulled me aside and said I needed to pay special attention because I was the reason! 
    Your company sounds like a police department. You have a failed career if you don't have a policy with your name on it before you are done. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Eoin said:

This is funny, I’d say too bad they killed that with the protesters, but it really wouldn’t be a good story if they didn’t do anything.  You’re just building your brand there.

We created a channel in our dept MS Teams are just for covid memes.  No spoken rules, but everyone has been avoiding the normal HR triggers like politics, race, etc.  I can only share about 25% of what I get on here.  It’s been good for morale, we’ll see on day 28 and if any of our own or their families get sick.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options

what kind of place do you work at that gets protesters?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cornholio said:

Lit said:
    Cornholio said:
    Took my son out for a “trail” ride, still getting his feet wet. 

Check for a local skate park. We have a really cool park that has a great section for younger children and it’s free. Been taking my kids since my boy was like 18 months. 
    My son was on a Spherovelo (little balance bike with balls instead of wheels) before he could walk then a balance bike. Got him his current Early Rider belt drive bike when he was 3 and he learned how to ride that by the time he was 3.5. Most his friends that are older than him have 30lb training wheeled bikes from Walmart which are counter productive to learning. 

Now his sister has moved from the Spherovelo to his old balance bike. Hoping to have him on a mountain bike by next summer so he can start hitting some bike parks like Snow Summit and Mammoth. 

I just meant he is getting his feet wet with trails that have any climbing involved. Skate parks with kid friendly areas are definitely good for building skills. Looks like you’ve got a little shredder there. 

Here’s my daughter on a neighborhood cruise yesterday. Being stuck at home has really pushed her riding with all our outside time.

That bike your boy is riding is pretty cool what is the brand? My boy started riding a 12” bike with training wheels at 2.5 and a couple weeks later once he could pedal the training wheels came off. Only downside is he couldn’t reach the ground for 6 month so or so to stop so he would brake and fall over. He’s a little over 3 now and rides the skate park on this little bike but I need to get him something like your kids soon.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Trying to figure out this whole work from home thing with a 1 year old running around and a mother in law who can’t stop talking... quarantined in the bedroom at the moment, home office set up... Oh any yes, that is definitely whiskey not coffee...

My plan B is set up the camper in the backyard, phone hotspot for internet, and more whiskey.
    LBGE
    AL
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Also made some Mediterranean chicken skewers yesterday afternoon! 

LBGE
    AL
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Anyone else like vacuum their floors 20 times a day now?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Anyone else like vacuum their floors 20 times a day now?

why would one do that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it