Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: My Kid's School Just Closed Due to Coronavirus

Options
bicktrav
bicktrav Posts: 640
edited March 2020 in EggHead Forum
We just got the notification today: school is closed beginning tomorrow. Meetings at work are being postponed; some projects are being punted altogether. It's surreal to see things shutting down like this. Anyone else experiencing similar things?
Southern California

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I've been wondering. My wife and I are both working from home. Our kids preschool hasn't said boo about it but it seems like he's the most likely vector for the virus to find its way into our home. I think we're fortunate in that we could keep him home and alternate. I'm trying to figure out how that would work.

Hang in there and try to stay positive for the kids sake.
    Mountain View, CA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited March 2020
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I've been wondering. My wife and I are both working from home. Our kids preschool hasn't said boo about it but it seems like he's the most likely vector for the virus to find its way into our home. I think we're fortunate in that we could keep him home and alternate. I'm trying to figure out how that would work.

Hang in there and try to stay positive for the kids sake.
    I believe for the most part it hasn't infected children. What I did hear is that the few children that did catch it has been very minor diagnosis. Hopefully it stays like this...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    We just got the notification today: school is closed beginning tomorrow. Meetings at work are being postponed; some projects are being punted altogether. It's surreal to see things shutting down like this. Anyone else experiencing similar things?
    Yeah- our supply chain is completely disrupted. I was out in retail stores yesterday (we sell to retail) and there were a ton of empty shelves where seasonal
    merchandise should be. We are in travel
    lockdown as well (which I’m happy about)

it’s going to be bizarre to watch march madness with no fans in the stands. This is getting weird. 

Target:

Sams: 

And there were many more. These shelves would normally be stuffed with spring and summer merch. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    One of the fire departments I work with has quarantined themselves, so to speak.  The paramedic crews, cops, city staff & family members are all temporarily banned from their station.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    No schools in our county Forsyth GA have closed yet but it’s not far off. Luckily my wife works at the school so she can watch the kids. Work has banned in person meetings and travel is cancelled. Jug of hand sanitizer in every room. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Id risk getting it for a 2week paid quarantine from work. I gots a few video games I needs to finish

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    My sister owns a 110 child pre school. Both her daughter and daughter in law work for her. So far no cases in our state. Want to bet if one of her students comes down with it that the State closes her down? That would be 100 sets of parents trying to scramble for child care.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Getting into schools will be the real flashpoint; once whole districts start shutting down, everything will screech to a halt with people having to stay home.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Getting into schools will be the real flashpoint; once whole districts start shutting down, everything will screech to a halt with people having to stay home.
    Imagine it getting into the prison system 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Considering 25-30% of all health care workers have school aged children, may have an impact on being able to treat people because they are home with their young ones.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    IU has canceled face to face classes for 2 weeks and telling professional staff to telecommute for the immediate future 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Ban on all incoming passengers and cargo from Europe. Saddle up folks, we’re in for a ride. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Just read that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive for it.
    Southern California
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Imagine it getting into the prison system 
    I work in a fed prison, I cant imagine what that will be like. Probably lots of beards getting shaved off the staff for masks. And lots of overtime 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    All Iowa state university institutions implementing a minimum 2 week online classes post spring break next week.  Started prepping material today try and teach a heavily hands on class in an online fashion.  
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited March 2020
    Options
    NBA just cancelled its season. 

Edit. Suspended. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    They are deciding right now if fans will be allowed to watch the Kentucky Derby. On that day alone it will draw 250-300 thousand people. $400B in spending is at risk. It is a month long party, attended by kings and queens Hollywood and sports stars, as well as people like me, the anti cool.

UK and UL are extending spring break, and the rest of the semester is on line.

Several school districts have closed, and the Governor is giving a speech that will likely eliminate all events of 100 people or more.

As a frequent traveler, my inbox is loaded with every hotel, every airline, every car rental, and many restaurants on CV prep and protection.

Just one more thing; check your stock investments in your 401K. Pretty indicative of what is coming, with a 20% and still falling, loss.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The Ace Hardware convention in Chicago was supposed to start tomorrow, then Intl Housewares on Saturday.  Both cancelled.  Combined that's 80,000 attendees, not counting exhibitors, that are not in Chicago for the week and weekend.

HPB Expo starts tomorrow in NOLA......they're one of the few that didn't cancel.  But BGE and Weber both pulled out late last week.  I doubt there will be many attendees, so I bailed too.

NBBQA in Louisville is still on next month (for now.)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    All Iowa state university institutions implementing a minimum 2 week online classes post spring break next week.  Started prepping material today try and teach a heavily hands on class in an online fashion.  
    My friends sister goes to University of Iowa and is over in Spain studying abroad. Her mom and sister were supposed to go visit her over spring break in a few weeks. I don't see that happening or my friends sister coming home anytime soon with the temporary ban. Definitely a strange turn of events. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Edit. Suspended. 
    Just heard a Utah Jazz player has tested positive. Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Botch said:
    WeberWho said:
    I believe for the most part it hasn't infected children. What I did hear is that the few children that did catch it has been very minor diagnosis. Hopefully it stays like this...
    You're missing the danger, here.  Yes, it doesn't seem to harm young'uns to a large extent (good thing!), but they still carry the virus! They run home, and love to give Grandma and Grandpa hugs, who are a lot more vulnerable.   
    ^^^^This
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Edit. Suspended. 
    Just heard a Utah Jazz player has tested positive. Wow. 
    Rudy Gobert.  They played our Raptors two nights ago, 'fortunately' he was ejected before end of game and didn't participate in the usual post game hugs.
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    ^^^^ words out of my mouth Cap
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Where I sit it has always been dangerous to draw conclusions without facts.  With a few (limited) exceptions, the big unknown presently is the CFR (Case Fatality Rate), which will remain unknown until adequate testing can identify how many are infected.  In the US we seem to be deficient in that regard currently.
    Given the potential consequences, caution would seem to be the order of the day until the facts become known.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Not trying to lessen the concern here as the virus is moving extremely quickly and will continue for a while.  But to what extent is the population hype fueled by the media hype??  I don't know the right balance but I am confident that the constant exposure to the media hype is only compounding the populace and its fear.  

Its the flu. 58,000 people die of the flu and pneumonia each year in the US. This is being hyped by the dems to make Trump look bad before the election. If Biden or Bernnie get in how fast will all this go away?

There I said it. Flame on! 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m