Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordering a Brisket from SRF

Options
2»

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lousubcap I decided to order a SRF brisket a bit later - planning far enough ahead to wet age as you suggested. Taking the advice of @The Cen-Tex Smoker I went to HEB and lookie what I found...

I don’t think the guests on Friday will be too disappointed... I also have a pork belly for burnt ends.

I’ll post the cook as it happens. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @lousubcap I decided to order a SRF brisket a bit later - planning far enough ahead to wet age as you suggested. Taking the advice of @The Cen-Tex Smoker I went to HEB and lookie what I found...

I don’t think the guests on Friday will be too disappointed... I also have a pork belly for burnt ends.

Great score right there. 2 for about the price of one SRF. 

HEB RULES!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @YukonRon I’ll be able to compare the HEB cuts to the quality of the SRF as well. Kind of a win-win to me. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @SciAggie really would like to get your observations on that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,409
    Options
    I refuse to further comment on the quality of HEB and all they do for the community.  Top-shelf for sure.  Give a look at their response to Hurricane Harvey.  That's part of why I use their on-line offerings.  
    Now-with brisket  I am totally jealous.  But I also get that I could relocate to a HEB parking lot and have at it.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Does Heb ship there aren't any near me? If they do it could be the end of me lol.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SciAggie said:

SCORE!!!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Paging @The Cen-Tex Smoker as he is well versed in cooking HEB and SRF briskets and even parking lot acquisitions.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon I’ll be able to compare the HEB cuts to the quality of the SRF as well. Kind of a win-win to me. 
    Score!  HEB is as good as any I’ve done. Including SRF. I’ll never pay for SRF again but I am lucky that I can buy one from HEB 5 minutes from my house and pick between several in the case. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker do you prefer the HEB wagyu over the Prime 1?  I seem to remember that there was another brisket HEB sometimes carry that you prefer.  I dont think it was the HEB brand. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I stumbled into Harry Soo's Youtube channel where he covered SRF Gold vs Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqqrc0g3JbQ
    Mountain View, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker do you prefer the HEB wagyu over the Prime 1?  I seem to remember that there was another brisket HEB sometimes carry that you prefer.  I dont think it was the HEB brand. 
    If I can’t find the wagyu (which is almost never) I try to buy their Meyer All Natural Prime. I’m not sure I’ve ever cooked one of their Prime 1 but I think @foghorn and his comp crew have cooked a bunch of them with excellent results. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    If I can’t find the wagyu (which is almost never) I try to buy their Meyer All Natural Prime. I’m not sure I’ve ever cooked one of their Prime 1 but I think @foghorn and his comp crew have cooked a bunch of them with excellent results. 
    Yeah, I've asked 5 different highly successful competition teams here in South Texas and they all prefer HEB Prime 1.  One of them told me that the typical judges in IBCA competitions are just regular folks who walk up and volunteer and for those folks it's more about the flavors that you inject and put on the brisket.  I've questioned that practice, but the day I was told that, the guy who told it to me finished 7th in brisket out of over 300 teams...

With that said, at the last Sauscutapalooza @The Cen-Tex Smoker cooked us a wagyu brisket on his Karebecue and two people told me "I've had all kinds of competition brisket - none of them are as good as that one your buddy John cooked."

So, I have to wonder.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I’m getting excited to cook these things now...
    I’m planning on a simple coarse S&P rub and then wrap in butcher paper when the bark looks good. I’m aiming to give them a good 3-4 hour rest FTC. Going to cook with oak splits. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SciAggie - I do not have access to the quality of beef and briskets you are afforded.  However, if you want to know what great beef tastes like then you will not be disappointed.  At some point (not the brisket one...) you should give SRF a go just so you appreciate true goodness.  
    I have no affiliation with them.  FWIW-
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Not to be a pooper here, but I never understood paying prime steak prices for the toughest, coarsest cut on the steer. It's all about the seasoning and the cook. Take a trip to Lockhart, TX and ask the big three if they use Wagyu or any other boutique briskets. They'll just chuckle.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Not to be a pooper here, but I never understood paying prime steak prices for the toughest, coarsest cut on the steer. It's all about the seasoning and the cook. Take a trip to Lockhart, TX and ask the big three if they use Wagyu or any other boutique briskets. They'll just chuckle.
    they also make the worst briskets in central Texas. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Sure they do. 
    Michiana, South of the border.