Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordering a Brisket from SRF

@lousubcap and all who order briskets from SRF...
I want to order my first SRF brisket and cook it on the 13th. How far in advance do you order? I started to message a couple of y'all, but thought this information might be useful to others - so open discussion.

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I would do at least 2 weeks early. In case something bad happens in shipping it leaves time to ship another.
    No issues with it resting for 2-3 weeks in your fridge as it will probably arrive mostly frozen.
    My last, non SRF, wet aged in my fridge for 3 weeks in the cryo before I cooked it.
    Excited to see your cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Order it today. You can pick your delivery date when you check out. Allow for three days to thaw. 
  • As I recall, you can set a delivery window.  They're extremely well packaged and always completely frozen on arrival here in The 302.  I keep mine frozen til a few days before the cook.  And I've taken to thawing them in a sink with water -- shaves days off the fridge-sit thaw method.  

You're in for a real treat.  Even a piker like me can't screw up an SRF briskey, so I can't wait to see your handiwork.

Following this thread and your cook for sure.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Order it today. You can pick your delivery date when you check out. Allow for three days to thaw. 
    This
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Thanks y'all. I'll bleed the bank account today.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I would have thought you Texans would have just walked out back and gathered yourself a fresh one. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Make sure you grab a few from H-E-B next time you are close. They are every bit as good and half the price at $5.99lb. I see they are back at several Costco locations as well. I’ll make sure to bring you a care package from H-E-B if we end up getting together this summer. Keeping a few in the freezer is a good idea if you have room. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    Make sure you grab a few from H-E-B next time you are close. They are every bit as good and half the price at $5.99lb. I see they are back at several Costco locations as well. I’ll make sure to bring you a care package from H-E-B if we end up getting together this summer. Keeping a few in the freezer is a good idea if you have room. 
    Thanks. I’ll check HEB in Abilene. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The H-E-B here in Midland has them.  I even saw some wagyu beef ribs Sunday when I was there.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SciAggie
    I would have thought you Texans would have just walked out back and gathered yourself a fresh one. ;)
    You would think so, wouldn't you?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    If I plan far enough ahead I like to let it thaw and then wet age for 3-4 weeks in the cryovac.  And it will take every bit of three plus days to thaw. as noted above.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited March 2020
    I took a brisket class at a local BGE dealer this weekend and committed then and there to making my first brisket. I am also planning to go with SRF. The smallest brisket they have is 9-12 pounds. What's the likely yield? We're a family of three so I have to figure out what to do with all the leftovers.
    Mountain View, CA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Rumor has it that you can buy wagyu in dimly lit parking lot in Texas. 
  • SciAggie
    Rumor has it that you can buy wagyu in dimly lit parking lot in Texas. 
    I've heard of such. Shady characters for sure...
    Just my kind of people.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    dmourati said:
    We're a family of three so I have to figure out what to do with all the leftovers.
    You eat them.   On tacos, in chili,  and each time you happen to be in the vicinity of the fridge.   It will call to you. 

Post pics! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Something else to keep in mind is the SRF briskets tend to cook much faster, don’t be surprised if it finishes in 6 - 8 hours or so. Mentioning this so you can plan ahead.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    @dmourati - Before you decide on the lowest weight at SRF, you may want to go up but at least one weight range as the upcharge is $10 per range.  Thus you will get a better price/lb with that.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Is the gold worth springing for or is the black the way to go? I'm sure the gold is better but point of diminishing returns and all 
    Boom
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Is the gold worth springing for or is the black the way to go? I'm sure the gold is better but point of diminishing returns and all 
    Black. The gold is really fatty for most.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    I am good with the black but around once a year I will go for the gold just for a comparison reminder.  And yes the marbling can be too much for many.  You can quickly overload with the gold but it will melt in your mouth.  FWIW-
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    I've never had the gold grade only black and it was incredible worth every penny.
  • dmourati

Mountain View, CA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    edited March 2020
    Did a black this weekend. Awesome.

We have cooked a couple of gold grade briskets previously, and I must concur on the previous statements above, while incredible in flavor, the fat content was just too much.

Smoked it with pecan 4 double fist sized chunks. Injected 2:1:1 with beef stock, garlic juice and onion juice.  

Left overs still juicy when slicing for sammies as of last night. Incredible flavor, used a combination of a couple of ribs. The bark was amazing.

You will not be disappointed.

Pulled at 192⁰F IT. Let sit for 20 mins then served.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    @dmourati - thanks for motivation.  Just placed the same order.  A great cook and great eats await.  
  • dmourati
    Thank you @lousubcap for the nudge on the slightly larger size. I'm excited for my first brisket cook!
    Mountain View, CA
  • lousubcap
    @dmourati I just sent you a PM that may be of use (or not).  Clearly your cook so above all have fun with it.  
  • lousubcap
    Time to reload the supply.  Great result right there.  Congrats.